Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I would weigh out the cost factors of buying a new sump tank vs drilling, adding bulkheads, pumps, etc etc to make those 2 tanks work. Petco has a dollar per gallon sale often, search on Facebook, or Reef2reef to find a used 40-55 gallon or a used sump you would be surprised what you find. Plus you could use the smaller tank as an ato reservoir..

OP
OP
Jtfortune3

Jtfortune3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro.... We have the same tank lol!!
AQUEON drilled the holes the same size so that you can choose which hole you use for the drain and which for the return..

Learn from my lesson lol..
Don’t buy a 3/4” bulk head because it won’t sit in the predrilled holes lol.. it will leak lol.. I was under the tank like what the heck! Why is this happening.. ordered another set (I assumed the amazon one was trash so I ordered a new set from Brs)
Brs took a week to ship delay because of a snow storm. Opened the box all excited to find out it’s the SAME ONE FROM AMAZON! So I ordered 1” bulk heads and added some reducers. Since the bulkheads provide from AQUEON are barbed for flexible tube. you need to buy new bulk heads if your going to hard plumb and they have to be 1”
So all the pre drilled holes are 1”? My tank is coming in this Wednesday so I haven’t even got to see it in person... the guy at my LFS said he was gonna include the drain kits that fit this tank which would include the bulk heads that I would assume fit. I’ve seen where people use short flex tube with hose clamps at the top because the bulk heads have barb fitting. Acts kinda as a union just with flex. I was going to go this route.. provided the bulk heads are barbed.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a new tank, I wouldn't be doing any modifications to it. The best I could recommend is to utilize both overflows as 2 separate herbie overflows. In other words the 4 drilled stand pipes would be used as drains, and you would have to either drill 2 more holes or plumb the returns to come up and over the tank, I'd prefer drilling.

To clarify, the larger 1" pipes would be your full siphons, and the 3/4" will be your open channel.

And I found a good video, only thing I wouldn't do is bring the return pipes over the top of the tank, just for aesthetics.

OP
OP
Jtfortune3

Jtfortune3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I would weigh out the cost factors of buying a new sump tank vs drilling, adding bulkheads, pumps, etc etc to make those 2 tanks work. Petco has a dollar per gallon sale often, search on Facebook, or Reef2reef to find a used 40-55 gallon or a used sump you would be surprised what you find. Plus you could use the smaller tank as an ato reservoir..
I have a spare 55 gallon that I could use and add baffles to. Just trying not to buy a $300 sump that I could build tailored to my equipment
If it's a new tank, I wouldn't be doing any modifications to it. The best I could recommend is to utilize both overflows as 2 separate herbie overflows. In other words the 4 drilled stand pipes would be used as drains, and you would have to either drill 2 more holes or plumb the returns to come up and over the tank, I'd prefer drilling.

To clarify, the larger 1" pipes would be your full siphons, and the 3/4" will be your open channel.

And I found a good video, only thing I wouldn't do is bring the return pipes over the top of the tank, just for aesthetics.

wow I really like that setup! It’s super simple and easy to follow being though my sump has a small return chamber I doubt I could ever flood my display tank. My return section is maybe 2-3 gallons and with the overflow weirs I guess it would be hard to flood the sump as well being tho the tank weirs would just drop in level. It gets tricky when adding a ATO that could flood the tank..

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the size difference from the 3/4” barb and the 3/4” bulkhead.. because of this I went to 1” and added a reducer for the return line to fit..

But then again, if your going to add the flex hose then disregard all of this lol

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw the first 2 images are both 3/4” bulkhead but the one from AQUEON has a bigger flange to accommodate the barb connection. Because of this the gaskets didn’t sit properly and would drip..

OP
OP
Jtfortune3

Jtfortune3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw the first 2 images are both 3/4” bulkhead but the one from AQUEON has a bigger flange to accommodate the barb connection. Because of this the gaskets didn’t sit properly and would drip..
Yeah that’s an odd looking bulk head.. luckily I have a home depot close by and a tractor supply store that has various bulk heads so I can get mine up and running quickly hopefully. Should be here Wednesday. Thanks for the pictures it helped me visualize a lot.

Osric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank comes pre drilled with drains as two 1” and two returns at 3/4” could I still get away with a bean animal setup if the emergency is 3/4” pipe?

If you have a 1.5 meter drop (5 feet) from the top of the emergency drain to the sump water level then the flow rate through 3/4" pipe should be about 900 GPH (you should be able to find an online flow calculator to check my numbers). I would guess that's more than you're pushing with your return pump, but I don't remember if you've told us what the return pump is going to be.

OP
OP
Jtfortune3

Jtfortune3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a 1.5 meter drop (5 feet) from the top of the emergency drain to the sump water level then the flow rate through 3/4" pipe should be about 900 GPH (you should be able to find an online flow calculator to check my numbers). I would guess that's more than you're pushing with your return pump, but I don't remember if you've told us what the return pump is going to be.
I’m thinking around 800 gph after head loss. So probably two 800 gph dc pumps turned down
1CB5B727-735A-439B-805A-EF443BA82903.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back