Sump with out drilling or overflow?

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am currently working on getting my sump connected to my tank that is in fact already full.
I know it’s possibly to do drill-less by using a overflow type box but, can I not just stick a pump in there to run constant and pull water into the sump and another pump to send it back?

0743FBB6-0BC0-4EB1-871B-55F85B8C3A21.jpeg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am currently working on getting my sump connected to my tank that is in fact already full.
I know it’s possibly to do drill-less by using a overflow type box but, can I not just stick a pump in there to run constant and pull water into the sump and another pump to send it back?

You do that and your room will get wet first time the balance breaks e.g. power cut or snail decides to move in to your pipe.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Youll never have a proper balance.
The overflow only facilitates as much drain as youre pumping into the aquarium. Up to its max flow rate of course.

Youll constantly need to tweak it so your tank or sump is not overflowing.

OP
OP
Mom.VS.Reef

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll never have a proper balance.
The overflow only facilitates as much drain as youre pumping into the aquarium. Up to its max flow rate of course.

Youll constantly need to tweak it so your tank or sump is not overflowing.
Any overflow you would suggest for a mixed reef, 50 gallons.

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any overflow you would suggest for a mixed reef, 50 gallons.
I added a sump after converting my tank from African Cichlids to SW and bought the 800 for my 75-gal tank. It works, but can be loud. Getting the siphon started is unpleasant. As long as you don’t overfill the sump, the physics work and the water level in the tank stays even. But if the sump is slightly overfilled and the pump outruns the siphon box, it’s a mess. Ask me how I know.:rolleyes: If(or when) I do it again, I’m going predrilled all the way.

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that point wouldn't it basically be a canister filter?
I guess maybe a boxy one… maybe with more than just media I’m talking with some of the bells and whistles we use now… I guess good luck trying to use a protein skimmer with a canister filter… idk dreaming out loud

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You would need to station the pump in the display so it does not suck up more water then the sump can handle (should the sump pump fail at any time)
In turn you would also need a low enough water level in your main display, so that it won’t overflow, in the event of your display tank pump shuts off by mistake.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using 2 pumps to do this would be a disaster waiting to happen. It will fail. No question about it. Just do yourself a favour and get the tank drilled and add an overflow. It is not difficult at all to drill the tank. It only seems daunting because you haven't done it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you COMMIT to a weekly 20% water change (in this case 10 gallons weekly), you can get by without a sump.

But even WITH a sump, weekly water changes are essential.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are hang on stuff you can put to get a syphon going to your sump

OP
OP
Mom.VS.Reef

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using 2 pumps to do this would be a disaster waiting to happen. It will fail. No question about it. Just do yourself a favour and get the tank drilled and add an overflow. It is not difficult at all to drill the tank. It only seems daunting because you haven't done it.
Can I just empty 5 gallons or so so my water level is low enough, then drill with it full?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back