SUMPS - The Rundown

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am thinking about converting my IM sr 60 aio into a sump system. it is currently a mixed reef. is this worth doing number 1. two what are some recommendations on a sump. the tank is currently 60 gal with a 45 gal display

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up the Trigger Systems Sapphire 34 and matching 10 gallon ATO container.
IMG_20191130_140746.jpg

IMG_20191130_140817.jpg

SumpInStand.jpg

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up the Trigger Systems Sapphire 34 and matching 10 gallon ATO container.
IMG_20191130_140746.jpg

IMG_20191130_140817.jpg

SumpInStand.jpg
The 10 gallon is only in there for storage at the moment, lol. Going to get a cabinet to house that and the Geo CaRx in the future. Hoping to cycle this in the upcoming weeks.

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting question: Do you run your refugium light 24/7? If not, do you do opposite of your display tank lights? I had a white LED clamp on at my refugium for basic maintenance under there and hopefully to help macro's grow, but today I received a chaeto light (mostly red with a little blue) and not sure which lights and for how long I should have them on.

Thanks in advance.
Sue

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the difference (if there is one) between the different "colors" of trigger sumps? Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald and Amethyst all seem very very similar.

3dogsandreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlbertaBound - All I know is @mixer911 and the #Synergy #ReefSystems team did an unreal job on my new CL-44 custom sump and a Matching ATO reservoir for my new SCA Rimless 150 build. I will be running two return pumps a #Apexco20 for my main returns and for my Alage scrubber and manifold I will be using an #Vectra M1. Just wanted to say that I was not expecting such an amazing built sump. I spent over 6 months talking to all the different sump Manufactures and none of them were very helpful, let me tell you until I hooked up with Synergy Reef Systems. At first, I was going to buy a @geo sump but I don't care for how their reactors are integrated into there sumps which I am not a fan of. (Just my opinion) I did want a trigger system sump since those are a dime a dozen and was not a fan on how they have there drain set up. Also, I went to PM, and they were not much help either and I even tried to contact an Acrylic Manufacture called Primo Acrylics since I saw a few of this guy sumps and they looked very well built but the only problem is, the guy never answered my 5 emails that I sent to him trying to let him know that I am ready to drop $1500.00 on a sump and a matching ATO but this company does not want to even respond, so what in hell are they even in business then. Here are some pictures of some unbelievable craftsmanship on this gorgeous-looking CL-44 sump that they made for my SCA150.. Plus, Synergy's customer service was nothing but Superior compared to the other Sump MFG, no names mentioned.

Here are a few pixs of the new sump and ATO container.
54225108_10219158020890076_6686891628898025472_n.jpg

54255076_10219158042090606_5123746248683159552_n.jpg

51229477_1471696056298705_5947649588851638272_n.jpg

51814860_1471695286298782_5275868969490710528_o.jpg

IMG_1040.JPG
This is a setup I am looking at also. Had a few questions for you. Getting back in the hobby after 2 decades had an AIO back in the day but so much has changed since then.

Tank - Anything you would have done different with the tank you choose? Would you have gone to a different size or measurement configuration? I was thinking of going to a 60X30X24. Do you think it is worth it for the extra 6” in width?
Was also looking at 2 other brands Reef Savvy and Planet Aquariums. Thoughts on those manufacturers?

Sump - Also looking at Geo what I like about Geo is they have a sump with a roller mat already configured but not sure about the built in chambers.
Does Synergy have a build that has a roller mat instead of socks or a aftermarket roller mat that can drop in? Had you thought about using a roller mat?

Thoughts on the Triton sumps that Synergy makes? Did you think about going that route?

Can you post pictures of the current build with sump and tank? Really interested in what it looks like. Good to find someone who is doing the same setup and is already in the process. I hoping I can learn from what you have done.

Thanks

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a setup I am looking at also. Had a few questions for you. Getting back in the hobby after 2 decades had an AIO back in the day but so much has changed since then.

Tank - Anything you would have done different with the tank you choose? Would you have gone to a different size or measurement configuration? I was thinking of going to a 60X30X24. Do you think it is worth it for the extra 6” in width?
Was also looking at 2 other brands Reef Savvy and Planet Aquariums. Thoughts on those manufacturers?

Sump - Also looking at Geo what I like about Geo is they have a sump with a roller mat already configured but not sure about the built in chambers.
Does Synergy have a build that has a roller mat instead of socks or a aftermarket roller mat that can drop in? Had you thought about using a roller mat?

Thoughts on the Triton sumps that Synergy makes? Did you think about going that route?

Can you post pictures of the current build with sump and tank? Really interested in what it looks like. Good to find someone who is doing the same setup and is already in the process. I hoping I can learn from what you have done.

Thanks
You should look at bashsea sumps

Nootch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking sump set up Sdot. As i am in the planning stage of my build, i am trying to use my background in water conditioning/system to see if i can't do a bit of thinking outside of the box as to say. After reviewing the BRStv on the WWC/BRS hybrid system and the reduced flow rates through the sump it got me thinking about sizing and how the components fit with each other. Keeping in mind i am looking to go behind wall and keep the sump level at the same level as the main display tank, I am working on the idea as long as the flow path of the water through the sump feeds all the components to it, the sizing is more a matter of packaging then % of main tank sizing.

If i was able to package the 'fuge, media bricks, heaters, skimmer, return pumps effectively i should theoretically build to the size of the components? things like the UV filter will pull water from between the media bricks and skimmer and be flow restricted to 250g and the output will dump into the compact roller mat which will dump back in after the skimmer and before the return to tank pumps. Or am i missing some magical point for the sizing? Keeping in mind this is going to be roughly a 220gal main tank. This is all theory at this point and i am just trying to get experience and information.

-Nootch

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking sump set up Sdot. As i am in the planning stage of my build, i am trying to use my background in water conditioning/system to see if i can't do a bit of thinking outside of the box as to say. After reviewing the BRStv on the WWC/BRS hybrid system and the reduced flow rates through the sump it got me thinking about sizing and how the components fit with each other. Keeping in mind i am looking to go behind wall and keep the sump level at the same level as the main display tank, I am working on the idea as long as the flow path of the water through the sump feeds all the components to it, the sizing is more a matter of packaging then % of main tank sizing.

If i was able to package the 'fuge, media bricks, heaters, skimmer, return pumps effectively i should theoretically build to the size of the components? things like the UV filter will pull water from between the media bricks and skimmer and be flow restricted to 250g and the output will dump into the compact roller mat which will dump back in after the skimmer and before the return to tank pumps. Or am i missing some magical point for the sizing? Keeping in mind this is going to be roughly a 220gal main tank. This is all theory at this point and i am just trying to get experience and information.

-Nootch
Yo brother, thanks again. I think it depends on what your goal for your system is. For me... the sump wasnt the most important, i needed something to hold in a organized manner: most of the life support equipment. For me if i cant easily access it, it wont receive any attention. Lastly i wanted a separate fuge area, where i could tune its performance in ways i could not if it was part of the main sump. The best decision EVER!

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back