Sunlight on Reef Tank

miamijaaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my 200g reef tank in its current location, admittedly I did not plan for the amount of sunlight that would fall on the tank from a high window. Now that Fall is here, the tank is receiving tons of light as the sun moves across the sky. I love the look, but understand that I’m going to have to keep nutrients in check or algae may become a problem. Right now still working through the new tank diatoms, so we’ll see. Hoping that I don’t have to install some shades because I absolutely love the look of natural sunlight on the tank. Here are some pics and a video.

03EC3BBE-2480-4E23-9A80-FB37340B061E.jpeg
71B7AFFA-8451-498F-978B-ED661218D3C7.jpeg
4165213A-E7C7-43DA-B597-FB2BFBD5D590.jpeg

I wish I could say that I planned for the sunlight to fall right on the two rock structures, but I would be lying. :)

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank looks great especially with natural shimmer HOWEVER can cause an influx of algae and even raise your temperature to high levels.

OP
OP
miamijaaz

miamijaaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great especially with natural shimmer HOWEVER can cause an influx of algae and even raise your temperature to high levels.

Thanks! Interesting enough, the sunlight seems to have little effect on tank temperature. And we’re talking South Florida here. I think the window is high enough and the light is defusing on the way down so that its not having a noticeable effect on temperature. Also it only hits the tank like that for part of the day as the sun moves across the sky.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Interesting enough, the sunlight seems to have little effect on tank temperature. And we’re talking South Florida here. I think the window is high enough and the light is defusing on the way down so that its not having a noticeable effect on temperature. Also it only hits the tank like that for part of the day as the sun moves across the sky.
My tanks get hit direct all day in Miami as well. I’m down south and they get plenty of sun. With tangs I don’t get much algae but I do have to clean the glass often. People install solo tubes to use as lighting for their reefs. Nice tank

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said, it looks great and corals typically like natural light, but then so does algae. Only issue other than that is your corals are going to be getting very different levels of natural light throughout the year so just keep that in mind if you see bleaching or browning, etc.

23Andy23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three pico/nano tanks and a frag tank that get hit with sunlight in the spring and fall. My corals love the sunlight. The three tanks need the glass cleaned a little more often but don't grow any more algae. I think as long as you arer not already having an issue or on the tipping point you will be fine. I leave the frag tank out because it is plumbed into a much larger system so the only noticable change is in the corals that get sunlight. I did try setting up a reef jar with just sunlight but the water got too hot, but that was 2 gallons sitting in a window. You'll be fine, enjoy the free coral growth boost.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunlight and reef tanks is so underrated. Other then if I wanted to take a picture and not get any glare I don't think I've ever closed the blinds across from my tank. Of course this time of year the days are getting shorter and shorter, but in the summer there is tons of sunlight in the room. Regardless of season it only gets direct sunlight for a couple of hours, but no issues.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may or may not have some algae growth for a while as you start up your tank.

algae is not a bad thing, unless you let it get out of hand.

natural sunlight or running your lights white does not mean you will get algae. And running blues only hides the issue a little bit.

I run my tank whiter than most, around 12k and I flood the tank with sunlight as well, on purpose.
0D1BF881-9ED5-450E-81BE-D0F4E9316AFD.jpeg

D4EBEA9A-D33B-4B95-9922-3459090E787C.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back