Super aggressive Flashers

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Carpenters flasher in the tank a long time. Two weeks ago I got a McCoskers from DD. Put it in an acclimation box. After a few days of some interest and some flashing between the two I figured it was ok to add the McCoskers to the tank. Tipped the acclimation box down and let the McCoskers come out when he wanted to. When he came out it was immediate war with the Carpenters. They locked mouths, bit at each other and one locked his mouth on the gill cover of the other. When they finally released the McCoskers went back in the acclimation box and I took that opportunity to put the top back on and keep him in acclimation. Now two weeks later I try again. Same thing happened. This time the Carpenters went into the acclimation box and that's where he is now. I've had a lot of flashers over the years and never had this trouble. Any ideas?

@eatbreakfast @evolved

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish are really similar, maybe some pics to confirm the species would help the experts

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the concern but there is no question what species I have. I'm not a novice. I've had many flashers over the years and have never had two males of different species battle like this.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are viewing each other as equal opponents. Usually they can tell the hierarchy without fighting. Not so in this case. Here are the options:
1. Rehome one. You have two alphas and it likely won't work out between the two.

2. Let them fight, determine a winner, then give them another couple of days. The victor will chase for a few days, but after awhile should lessen up. However, the loser will be severely weakened and may not survive the process.

3. Get multiple flashers or fairies at once to distract and diffuse aggression.

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts TJ. I'm afraid I'm going to have to rehome the Carpenters. Both fish are great looking examples of their species but I like McCoskers better. Anyone in Fort Worth interested?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts TJ. I'm afraid I'm going to have to rehome the Carpenters. Both fish are great looking examples of their species but I like McCoskers better. Anyone in Fort Worth interested?
If be interested, I'm in the Keller, NFW border

Back