Surface agitation Pump

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best pump to get to agitate the water surface?

Would the wave pump below work? Don’t want to spend a fortune

IMG_6516.png

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Hygger gyre you have pictured would work fine for surface agitation...depending upon tank size. I like gyres as they shoot a flat stream of water across the top of the tank. I have two on the back wall of my 100g DT.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of tank? AIO sump etc. The one you linked would work as would pretty much any powerhead pointed toward the surface. I have sumps on all of mine and use the return nozzle for surface agitation.
92 gallon corner with sump and skimmer, tank has a full lid to slow evaporation. I’m struggling to keep ph and DKH up though maybe needed more gas exchange?

Attachments

• IMG_6509.jpeg
    IMG_6509.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 22

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lid probably isn't helping with gas exchange. I run 3 tanks all open top and evaporation really isn't that bad
Or at least doesn't seem bad to me but they all have ato units with decent size reservoirs that I only have to fill every 7-10 days.

EDIT : Nice tank!

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lid probably isn't helping with gas exchange. I run 3 tanks all open top and evaporation really isn't that bad
Or at least doesn't seem bad to me but they all have ato units with decent size reservoirs that I only have to fill every 7-10 days.

EDIT : Nice tank!
Winter is a killer in Minnesota very dry, I have a very small area for my ATO. I’m using a 5 gallon bucket currently and go through that in 5 days, I don’t even want to entertain what it would be without the glass top and cover on my sump. I might just be stuck with low ph

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya my 180g looses over 2 gallons a day but the sump is in the basement with a wood burner so it's very dry.
Do you run a skimmer? I'm not a pH chaser but tested a few times and found the tank in our bedroom was dropping from 8.3 to 7.8 - 7.9 overnight while we were in the room. I ran an airline into the attic to pull fresh air and pH stays at 8.2 now. Just a suggestion and not an option for everyone.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya my 180g looses over 2 gallons a day but the sump is in the basement with a wood burner so it's very dry.
Do you run a skimmer? I'm not a pH chaser but tested a few times and found the tank in our bedroom was dropping from 8.3 to 7.8 - 7.9 overnight while we were in the room. I ran an airline into the attic to pull fresh air and pH stays at 8.2 now. Just a suggestion and not an option for everyone.
Yep running a co2 scrubber on the skimmer

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back