Surprise! It's not dead!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

My girlfriend just texted me and told me that the pistol shrimp we had thought had died and had replaced with a new pistol shrimp is actually still alive and had just molted.

I thought it had died since I saw a lot of shrimp bits all over the tank one morning and the last one I had around a year ago actually ate most of its molts before throwing the hard claw bits out of its hole.

So now I have two tiger pistol shrimps in my aquarium and only one watchman goby. What can I expect to happen in this situation besides twice the normal amount of shrimp clicking? Does the other guy need a goby, because I could totally justify getting another goby if I needed one! ;Hilarious

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a goby, and if your tank is small I wouldn’t get another because of territorial aggression. But they are quite the characters so if you like them, get another!
Thanks for the input, I think I may hold off and see what happens, the two shrimp may pair up for all I know. I thought about a yasha goby but they're sort of small when my LFS gets them and the bigger tiger shrimp may eat it ;Bored

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it plays out. I was thinking of getting a second pistol in the tank with my hi-fin red banded goby pair.
Will do! I'm gonna try to get some footage of them interacting with each other. Last night there was a ton of clicking going on and we though the new shrimp was just practicing or something but I reckon they were having a click-off.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! I'm gonna try to get some footage of them interacting with each other. Last night there was a ton of clicking going on and we though the new shrimp was just practicing or something but I reckon they were having a click-off.
An image of pistol shrimps with little cowboy hats popped into my head when I read that lol

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pistol_shrimp___bang_bang_by_gregan811-d6pnd4o.jpg

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like it when livestock I thought was dead suddenly reappears! Should happen more often, in my opinion! :)
Ain't that the truth! It's always fun to get a free "damaged" coral and grow it back.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back