Swapping Out Rock...

landlocked303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 30 gal tank about 1.5 years ago using pukani rock. I have grown to hate my aquascape and it really isn't working well for coral placement. I would love to buy some Caribsea dry live rock and make a custom aquascape and then cure the rock for a few weeks with some marinepure from the tank. After a few weeks, I want to swap out the old rock for the new. Any foreseeable problems you can think of? I use a ton of marinpure so i'm not to worried about bio filtration. But what about the micro fauna? Also the pukani I have has vermitid snails all over it otherwise I might just use it for the new scape but don't really want to handle it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 30 gal tank about 1.5 years ago using pukani rock. I have grown to hate my aquascape and it really isn't working well for coral placement. I would love to buy some Caribsea dry live rock and make a custom aquascape and then cure the rock for a few weeks with some marinepure from the tank. After a few weeks, I want to swap out the old rock for the new. Any foreseeable problems you can think of? I use a ton of marinpure so i'm not to worried about bio filtration. But what about the micro fauna? Also the pukani I have has vermitid snails all over it otherwise I might just use it for the new scape but don't really want to handle it.

I don't see why it would be a problem, however, I would do it in stages.

I wouldn't pull out all of the old live rock at one time as that is where a large percentage of Nitrifying bacteria is colonized. Pull your live rock out all at once and you might get an ammonia spike.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back