OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that the tank is bare bottom, do you have a plan for blocking light from coming in through the bottom? Maybe a simple plan to paint it black?
There is a whole wooden board directly underneath the tank, so that's taken care of :)

Edit. But there're a lot of duct tape and black trashbags along the backside for lights from the refugium not coming up on the backside :D

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More corals moved to the experiment tank today. Three of them LPS. Will be fun to see if we can get them to spawn approximately when we predict.
Might have found two brain coral colonies of the same species, or genus. Or family... I’m pretty sure they are the same phylum are least :rolleyes: Anyway, if they spawn and are closely related, we might get fertilisation.
65572CED-01FB-474D-B1E6-FD9E2C77D5BC.jpeg
C3292AEB-16CA-442B-9AD1-1CD7661A862E.jpeg

And a picture from outside the building where the digging process is ongoing!
Edit. For new readers, this is were the new Aquarium will be built. Next to the old museum building, but still connected by indoor stairs.
22EFB8E7-5FBB-4EC4-BA8F-2985DA06F43E.jpeg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’ve discovered that we are actually pretty good at keeping corals alive for many years and multiple them by fragging. Many of our corals today comes from just one frag. Not great when trying to setup a sexual reproduction experiment :rolleyes: But still a good thing :)
Waiting for answers from colleagues around Scandinavia, hoping someone has a partner colony or two for our corals. I mean, who says no when asked if they are willing to lend a +15 cm Acropora colony for a year.. I won’t even ask the hobbyists.. But I might steal a Herpolitha limax from @Lasse :D

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the museum looks like inside at the moment, in some areas.
This was our old Aquarium office(to the left).
D8746796-5592-4837-9C8F-98F9883D8E14.jpeg

And here we had a workshop, a room for the old ventilation etc, and storage. Now it’ll be our new entrance hall, plus a restaurant.
5DF3FF9E-5A15-4FAF-B95C-42E010A2D9C4.jpeg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lot of rock there. Is it possible to blast or will they use a different method to remove it? I guess that the nearby buildings are sensitive for vibrations.
What I've heard they will use some kind of saw. Probably something more fancy than my "coral saw" :D

Those rocks were the reason why we had to get more budget for the rebuild last year. That extra time it took for waiting for that budget decision from the city, is the reason why we will(hopefully) open 2022 instead of 2021. 2021 was the plan from the biginning, the year Gothenburg will turn 400 years. But for us it's fine with 2022. We will celebrate more 2023 anyway. In 2023 the Aquarium will turn 100 years! :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still searching for “partners” to our corals. Put in a couple more species yesterday. Some of these, like Stylophora and Pocillopora, have different ways to reproduce than Acropora and Favia. So it’ll be interesting to see how they react on seasons. For Duncanopsammia axifuga I haven’t found any observations so far, so if we could document a spawning there it’ll be cool.
Haven’t figured out a way to control all species and how to know if the spawn yet. Need some kind of cameras I think.
8C4D1A88-32C5-4E6C-A712-3D3066907CC0.jpeg
3DC9ECEB-B0EB-4829-8FFD-52263DCDD067.jpeg
ED0C06B4-2D8E-414F-A270-B8B53B0EEA21.jpeg
BBE62A4C-B1CA-476E-BA07-5AAC64A56C22.jpeg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short update from the Aquarium. We, the staff, are doing fine. So is the animals.
We updated our “emergency plan” from earlier a weeks ago, mostly to make sure we got enough chemicals, food, CO2 etc for running the tanks for 2-3 month at least.

We also decided to not be more than two staff members at the Aquarium at the same time, to try to avoid getting sick at the same time. We’re only five people who can run the Aquarium at the moment, so we need to plan a bit.
Luckily there’re plenty of thing to do on the computer as well, so working a couple of days from home is fine :)

Hope everyone is doing well out there!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short update from the Aquarium. We, the staff, are doing fine. So is the animals.
We updated our “emergency plan” from earlier a weeks ago, mostly to make sure we got enough chemicals, food, CO2 etc for running the tanks for 2-3 month at least.

We also decided to not be more than two staff members at the Aquarium at the same time, to try to avoid getting sick at the same time. We’re only five people who can run the Aquarium at the moment, so we need to plan a bit.
Luckily there’re plenty of thing to do on the computer as well, so working a couple of days from home is fine :)

Hope everyone is doing well out there!
It is a crazy time we are living in! Hopefully everything will continue to go smoothly for you!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a crazy time we are living in! Hopefully everything will continue to go smoothly for you!
It really is!
I haven’t heard anything from the building/digging companies so far, so I hope the work goes on according to plan so far.
Oh, except one of the bosses who were in Italy and sits in quarantine at home now(not sick I think). :)
I’m not that worried about the temporary Aquarium. As long as we got water and power!

I know we’re not supposed to write about the virus, but it effects us in our work and I wanted to just give an update. Sorry R2R if that was against the rules :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m on my way home from Norway by train - still not closed. I´ll meet up with David for a short briefing at the train station in the evening. And after that - home for a home quarantine during x days. This of two reasons - be sure that I´m not infected and serve as a reserve if the others got sick. We have not been in contact with each other during 14 days. We works with animals and we must all the time be sure that some of us can work with the daily management.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we restarted my old Instagram account and done it a bit more official for the Aquarium. At the moment I'm doing a recap over 2019, so you've probably seen most of the pictures here on R2R anyway. BUT!! Everything is a competition and we want to beat our colleagues from the other departments of the museums. So get in there and give us a couple of likes!! ;Smuggrin;Smuggrin;Smuggrin

TheMaritimeAquarium

Thanks in advance!!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we restarted my old Instagram account and done it a bit more official for the Aquarium. At the moment I'm doing a recap over 2019, so you've probably seen most of the pictures here on R2R anyway. BUT!! Everything is a competition and we want to beat our colleagues from the other departments of the museums. So get in there and give us a couple of likes!! ;Smuggrin;Smuggrin;Smuggrin

TheMaritimeAquarium

Thanks in advance!!

Liked, followed and commented.

You might also think about tagging companies that have helped you out with equipmemt and supplies to help raise your views/followers.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liked, followed and commented.

You might also think about tagging companies that have helped you out with equipmemt and supplies to help raise your views/followers.
Thanks!!

Yes, absolutely. Working on that. I'm not a very social media person. But I will get better! Thanks!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at the temporary Aquarium after a week working from home. Good to see some corals live again :p

Not much news. We're dealing with the current situation and it's okey so far. @Lasse is in quarantine at home and another colleague is at the office at another museum. Trying not to get sick all at the same time. So far all of us are healthy, but some have colds. Not easy to know what's what... So we're keeping our "teams" apart just in case. Lasse is ready to take over the aquarium if we get too sick :)

At the Aquarium we have had some other diease among some of the corals. At first only Stylopora were affected. Then Seriatopora. Last week a large Acropora got it. Looks like brown jelly diease. So far it's not that much. But it's enough to annoy me.. :) We're trying some treatment with H2O2. But mostly just keeping the sick corals away from the others and trying to keep the water as good as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back