OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good - do the hard work :) I'll see you on Monday. Greatings from Rome.

Sincerely Lasse
We also do some fun stuff. But that's a secret for now.. ;)
See you monday!
IMG_7103.JPG

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I continued the work trying to get a large Acropora efflorescence out of our 1500L room devider reef. Here's the colony:
IMG_7084.JPG

And here two not so good top down pics from this tank. The corals have created coral islands. So I need to cut them down before it starts growing palm trees in there as well..
IMG_7087.JPG
IMG_7088.JPG

No wonder the flow isn't good in this tank :D

Today's tool box! Hammer and screwdriver did the trick :)
IMG_7086.JPG

Here's the colony out of the tank! No wonder we're having a hard time keeping alk, Ca and Mg up. The base is about 10cm in diameter.
IMG_7090.JPG
;Wideyed WHOA!!!! that colony is HUGE!!!!! i love efflos so much thats just super cool to see :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good - do the hard work :) I'll see you on Monday. Greatings from Rome.

Sincerely Lasse
When I was planning to get married 7 years ago me and my wife to be, we're planning wedding, tickets first class to Rome each came out to $14,000 each. After I found that out I said Rome's out of the picture. Bummer

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do something, Lasse won't do.
We tried to copy the work of Martin Moe. To breed Diadema urchins. But Diadema setosum instead of the Atlantic one.
Today we wanted to see if it was possible to trigger them to release gametes by putting them in warmer and cooler water.
Today's experiment failed :( Almost an hours "dip", but no reaction. Which seems strange since they spawn in their home tanks every time we do water changes.
Anyway, we will try again. Maybe we need to feed them better, or raise the temp/lower the temp in the dip tanks. Or maybe it's the wrong season (some of our tanks follow the temp outside, now it's winter and a bit cooler in those tanks).
IMG_7104.JPG

The good news today was a bunch of new born glass shrimps, Palaemonetas varians. They give birth to rather large offspring, but not so many at the time. So no need for larvae tanks, they do fine in a regular tank. Just needs to be separated from the adult due to cannibalism. Usually we buy them and keep them in a cold water system. But then they doesn't seem to reproduce in water under 15 degrees. Now we've tested to put them in both 20 and 25 degrees, and they've started to reproduce:)
Glass shrimps are great live food for small cuttlefish and seahorses for example.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We tried to copy the work of Martin Moe. To breed Diadema urchins. But Diadema setosum instead of the Atlantic one.
Today we wanted to see if it was possible to trigger them to release gametes by putting them in warmer and cooler water.
Today's experiment failed :( Almost an hours "dip", but no reaction. Which seems strange since they spawn in their home tanks every time we do water changes.
Anyway, we will try again. Maybe we need to feed them better, or raise the temp/lower the temp in the dip tanks. Or maybe it's the wrong season (some of our tanks follow the temp outside, now it's winter and a bit cooler in those tanks).
IMG_7104.JPG

The good news today was a bunch of new born glass shrimps, Palaemonetas varians. They give birth to rather large offspring, but not so many at the time. So no need for larvae tanks, they do fine in a regular tank. Just needs to be separated from the adult due to cannibalism. Usually we buy them and keep them in a cold water system. But then they doesn't seem to reproduce in water under 15 degrees. Now we've tested to put them in both 20 and 25 degrees, and they've started to reproduce:)
Glass shrimps are great live food for small cuttlefish and seahorses for example.
On sea urchins, dont know if comfortable with potassium nitrate to make spawn

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On sea urchins, dont know if comfortable with potassium nitrate to make spawn
Yes I know some use chemicals to get them going but I haven't done any research on that.
I was totally convinced it would be enough with a quick temp change. So I'm a bit surprised. But solving problems if fun! ;)
We will do some more tests. We've move 6 urchins into our work station tanks, so they are easy to feed, monitor and move. Hopefully we'll find a way without using chemicals.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know some use chemicals to get them going but I haven't done any research on that.
I was totally convinced it would be enough with a quick temp change. So I'm a bit surprised. But solving problems if fun! ;)
We will do some more tests. We've move 6 urchins into our work station tanks, so they are easy to feed, monitor and move. Hopefully we'll find a way without using chemicals.
Maybe you should give them a little privacy! :eek:

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or some romantic background music!
That we can fix! Now when the museum is closed we've installed a couple of speakers in the exhibition so we can listen to music. But we forgot to put it on during our experiment today! Might have been the thing we missed.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If You need a second source fot the shrimps try the city pond in central Landskrona. I took lots of them 24 or 25 years ago.
It was in august or september. But if You want to take some I think its best to have a permission. They are an endangered species nowadays.
I thought it was Palaemon adsperus but I was very puzzled by the low salinity in the water. Reed was growing there too.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If You need a second source fot the shrimps try the city pond in central Landskrona. I took lots of them 24 or 25 years ago.
It was in august or september. But if You want to take some I think its best to have a permission. They are an endangered species nowadays.
I thought it was Palaemon adsperus but I was very puzzled by the low salinity in the water. Reed was growing there too.
Cool! I was told by a colleague at the natural history museum that there are some small populations in a couple of salt ponds in Bohuslän, near Lysekil on the Swedish west coast. But they didn't say anything about Landskrona. I will tell them next time I meet them!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More aquarist job today, more coral colonies moved from the 1500L room devider reef!
IMG_7106.JPG
IMG_7107.JPG
IMG_7108.JPG
IMG_7109.JPG

No water changes since 2014 in this tank. It has worked out well! :)
I love the color transition on that piece! The size of these colonies is mind blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back