OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five minutes before I had planned to finish work, ten boxes were delivered. We just had to test :)
IMG_7362.JPG
IMG_7363.JPG
IMG_7365.JPG
IMG_7367.JPG
IMG_7368.JPG

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Drool
Can you relay me one of those boxes? ;) They could've "gotten lost along the way" :D
We will need all of them. Plus some more ;Nailbiting Can't use our 400W and 1000W MH in the shallow tanks in the temporary Aquarium.

Talking of lost. Two out of three DHL deliveries to us this week are lost, or "they couldn't deliver it". :D But the third one(and the most fun one) made it!

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will need all of them. Plus some more ;Nailbiting Can't use our 400W and 1000W MH in the shallow tanks in the temporary Aquarium.

Talking of lost. Two out of three DHL deliveries to us this week are lost, or "they couldn't deliver it". :D But the third one(and the most fun one) made it!
Gotta love Swedish carriers :confused: I had a package DHL claimed "unable to deliver" with a geotag that was 40km away o_O

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the lights from? Havent seen them in swedish shops..
From China :) I think Håkanstorp zoo sells Orphek in Sweden.

We're sometimes fortunate enough to buy directly from the companies who manufactures the products. And sometimes that means really good prices.
If we would buy LEDs from our LFS, our budget wouldn't last long.. ;Wideyed
I spend a lot of time trying to get a hold of wholesale price lists and to compare products and costs.. Not the most fun part of my job but the better job I do, the more we get out of our budget.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I really like to work with the grey plastic containers, big boxes.
IMG_7361.JPG

First we did the pipes the easy way, over the edge of the sump, but we didn't get enough height difference between the over flow and the sump. So we couldn't have the flow we wanted from the return pump.

IMG_7371.JPG
IMG_7372.JPG
IMG_7374.JPG

Now the height difference are better. Will just have some lunch here, then I'll turn on the return pump again! :)

Do you think it'll work for ~6000L/h now @Lasse ? ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I really like to work with the grey plastic containers, big boxes.
IMG_7361.JPG

First we did the pipes the easy way, over the edge of the sump, but we didn't get enough height difference between the over flow and the sump. So we couldn't have the flow we wanted from the return pump.

IMG_7371.JPG
IMG_7372.JPG
IMG_7374.JPG

Now the height difference are better. Will just have some lunch here, then I'll turn on the return pump again! :)

Do you think it'll work for ~6000L/h now @Lasse ? ;)
Stinks that I have been crazy busy at work while your temporary build is picking up steam!

Do you have the returns of your top tank tied into the bottom tanks before the sump container?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stinks that I have been crazy busy at work while your temporary build is picking up steam!

Do you have the returns of your top tank tied into the bottom tanks before the sump container?
No worries! This will take some time anyways :)

Yes. The water goes into the top tanks, then via overflows to the bottom ones. Then back to the sump. Not ideal, but we saved a lot of pvc and time building this way.
Not sure how to get even flow to three outlets from one return pump. At the moment the outlets are above the surface so it's possible to see how much water that comes out of each.
Maybe needs to be more pressure in the main pipe, and then adjust the vaults.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a great feeling when things turn out the way you want! Now we can run the 8000L/h return pump on 100% without flooding the acrylic tanks! ;Smuggrin
Which is good news, because there are larger return pumps on their way! ;Happy

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a great feeling when things turn out the way you want! Now we can run the 8000L/h return pump on 100% without flooding the acrylic tanks! ;Smuggrin
Which is good news, because there are larger return pumps on their way! ;Happy

Happy to hear you're cranking at 100%! I cannot remember if you posted it or not; are the bigger pumps that are coming external, AC driven?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to hear you're cranking at 100%! I cannot remember if you posted it or not; are the bigger pumps external, AC driven?
Thanks! :)

We will try to change over to DC pumps more and more. But we need to go for the not so pricey ones now. And we will use internal return pumps in the temporary Aquarium. Easier that way.

At the moment we use a Jecod DC8000. I'm not a big fan of their earlier return pumps, they felt weak.. But this one seems like more robust.

The pumps we've ordered for these systems are from Aquarium Systems, their DC15000. I think they will arrive next week. It'll be the first time for us trying their DC pumps.
https://www.aquariumsystems.fr/en/aquatic/electrical/maxijet-dc/

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! :)

We will try to change over to DC pumps more and more. But we need to go for the not so pricey ones now. And we will use internal return pumps in the temporary Aquarium. Easier that way.

At the moment we use a Jecod DC8000. I'm not a big fan of their earlier return pumps, they felt weak.. But this one seems like more robust.

The pumps we've ordered for these systems are from Aquarium Systems, their DC15000. I think they will arrive next week. It'll be the first time for us trying their DC pumps.
https://www.aquariumsystems.fr/en/aquatic/electrical/maxijet-dc/

Thanks for sharing the link to Aquarium Systems. At 14.000lph that pump moves a lot of water for a DC pump! There aren't many options in that flow size available here. Do you know if they are a manufacturer or distributor or both? I wonder where those pumps are made and what the retail price is on them. Oh, I hope you got them donated to you guys!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the pipework - the 8000 probably gives around 6000 litres. But I have an solution for how to regulate the flow (or at least no what it is. There is at least three unused flowmeters in the tool box :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the link to Aquarium Systems. At 14.000lph that pump moves a lot of water for a DC pump! There aren't many options in that flow size available here. Do you know if they are a manufacturer or distributor or both? I wonder where those pumps are made and what the retail price is on them. Oh, I hope you got them donated to you guys!
We've used their small and medium size powerheads a lot. A Swedish wholesale has them, so they've been okey in price for us.
But then I emailed the company and got even better price if we buy directly from them.
The company is French and I think their products are pretty common in Europe.
Maybe you could send an email to them and check if they sell in the US too.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've used their small and medium size powerheads a lot. A Swedish wholesale has them, so they've been okey in price for us.
But then I emailed the company and got even better price if we buy directly from them.
The company is French and I think their products are pretty common in Europe.
Maybe you could send an email to them and check if they sell in the US too.

Turns out they make Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals salt. They produce about 2.6 million metric tons of salt a year! They obviously make many products and it causes me to wonder if they are simply rebranded products here in the US.
I'm surprised they didn't donate the pumps to you as, my understanding is, they are pretty involved with public aquariums. I'm going to do more research.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A peek into the 10000L reef. I cleaned the window this week.
This is one of the reasons I want to make the temporary tanks ready for corals as soon as possible. This whole section of corals and rocks is about to fall down ;Nailbiting
It already has moved 15 cm downward.
IMG_7381.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back