Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Some days are aquariums 24/7. Probably not healthy in the long run ;Wacky
But I like to write, specially on days off. A cup of coffee and R2R in the morning is the best :)
Man, I should have been a marine biologist. I could have been somebody

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I should have been a marine biologist. I could have been somebody
And here I was going to model my coffee drinking after him.... ;Sorry:oops:

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you should buy the excellent machine!!
;Drool;Drool;Drool

Man I would love to, but I also want to stay happily married!!! :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...
For $1200 USD you can get a Sage
upload_2019-4-4_12-59-49.png

I can get a Breville for $600
upload_2019-4-4_13-0-43.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or this for around $600 (in Sweden). I start every day with a cappuccino and connect to R2R before the first cup is empty :)

PA040006.JPG

Coffee is a seroius issue in Sweden - only Finns drink more coffee per capita than Swedes

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And instead of milk (for the cappuccino) - iKAFFE and it always taste best in a moomin cup - this morning - Mårran (Groke) was the choise. Every Swede and Finn understand which morning mood you are in when you chose Groke as your coffee mate :) But now - The Groke is in the dishwasher and I feel good :) Its only take a cup of good coffe for feeling good.

P4050073.JPG

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some updates on the building process of the new Aquarium.

The city granted the higher cost of building the Aquarium building last week(not really giving us money, all costs will be on our future rent). So we are still on schedule.

Now all the blueprints are ready. We (the whole project group) will now get the documents ready for public procurements. This process will take a couple of months.
The plan is to have this done by the end of September so the building process could start in October.
I haven't posted any blueprints in a while since I don't want to do anything that might be against all the rules of procurement etc. But I promise I will post a lot as soon as I know it's okey to do so.

Our plan, the aquarium staff, for the coming six months is to empty the old Aquarium(move all animals and aquariums, tear down all screens, extra walls, and everything else).
We will also do documents for the public procurements for acrylic windows, large skimmers, large filter etc.

That was a pretty boring post :) But just to let you know things are going the in the right direction.

No work this weekend. Will rest and get ready to move more rocks next week.. ;)

Edit. I'm sure some words are not totally correct. I hardly know them in Swedish :D

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The city granted the higher cost of building the Aquarium building last week(not really giving us money, all costs will be on our future rent). So we are still on schedule.

Now all the blueprints are ready. We (the whole project group) will now get the documents ready for public procurements. This process will take a couple of months.
The plan is to have this done by the end of September so the building process could start in October.
I haven't posted any blueprints in a while since I don't want to do anything that might be against all the rules of procurement etc. But I promise I will post a lot as soon as I know it's okey to do so.

Our plan, the aquarium staff, for the coming six months is to empty the old Aquarium(move all animals and aquariums, tear down all screens, extra walls, and everything else).
We will also do documents for the public procurements for acrylic windows, large skimmers, large filter etc.

That was a pretty boring post :) But just to let you know things are going the in the right direction.

Edit. I'm sure some words are not totally correct. I hardly know them in Swedish :D

It was not a boring post to me. I enjoy hearing about the process of getting the money is going along with moving forward with the plans.

Oh, you're English is fine and, I have to say, much better than my Swedish!

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everything looks great. Thank you for sharing the process with us!

Working with the government means the details are all important. :)

Sounds like everything is progressing well.

Bamboo shark tank? Where did you fit the shark??

Edited because I can't spell in English...

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks great. Thank you for sharing the process with us!

Working with the government means the details are all important. :)

Sounds like everything is progressing well.

Bamboo shark tank? Where did you fit the shark??

Edited because I can't spell in English...
Thanks you!

The bamboo shark will move to another public aquarium. We have a plan :)
We will probably leave the bamboo shark tank until after the summer, then start to take out the fish and corals. To be able to run some more test with large LED fixtures on that tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you!

The bamboo shark will move to another public aquarium. We have a plan :)
We will probably leave the bamboo shark tank until after the summer, then start to take out the fish and corals. To be able to run some more test with large LED fixtures on that tank.
Is that tank not in the way for the new construction? Or is it last on your plans to get cleared out?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that tank not in the way for the new construction? Or is it last on your plans to get cleared out?
That tank will be removed as well. Our new entrance hall will be located where the aquariums are now :)
So it's the last one we will clear out, yes.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the update. I agree with the earlier reply, not a boring post at all. I work for the NSW government in Australia so understand exactly what you are talking about when you refer to the procurement rules.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Guys, rules are good. Rules helps control the fun" - Monica Geller (Friends) ;)
Yes, public procurements might be time consuming and seem a bit strange to someone working for a private company. But the rules are there for a good reason, so it's just to accept and learn how to work with them. :)

About the blueprints, I think they need to be public for all at the same time. Not giving any company more info than the others. So when the inquiry goes out, all the blueprints will be public for all to see.
Something like that ;Wacky

Luckily we, the Aquarium staff, don't need to be responsible for the large procurements(the companys that will do the building etc). And we've got help to write the documents for the procurement for acrylic windows etc.

It's nice to be on the way into the next phase of the rebuild. Now it's time to start thinking of the exhibition as a whole. Themes and habitats we want to show. How to build the reef structure in a 14 x 7 x 4 meters reef tank :eek: etc.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, public procurements might be time consuming and seem a bit strange to someone working for a private company. But the rules are there for a good reason, so it's just to accept and learn how to work with them. :)
It's not all that different from larger purchases at some private companies. I've spent the better part of the past 30 days on the paperwork for a few projects. It starts by writing a justification on why the project is necessary and a rough budget of how much it will cost. If the project is designed to increase production, a rate of return needs to be calculated.
If approved, you write a detailed specification to send out to companies you desire to work with. Normally you need to get at least 3 bids although there is no requirement to go with the cheapest one. In government contracting it tends to be about avoiding corruption. The private sector tends to do it to maximize profitability but the processes used are very similar.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week started as the last one ended, by moving rocks, leather corals and mushrooms from the 2500L tank to the temporary holding tanks. Now we are at the bottom layer, not too many rocks left. We managed to catch some Banggai Cardinals and moved them as well. Tomorrow I hope we can catch a couple of tangs. We need grazers in the new tanks.
There's some great algae growth in the new tanks! :)
IMG_7533.JPG
Actually I'm happy with that. It's a tank with lots of light and no grazers. So great food for the tangs when we catch them!
We got urchins in the other two acrylic tanks with lights, so not as much algae in those.

And this is our seahorse tank and mantis tank, just before they were moved. The exhibition is going down, bit by bit.
IMG_7534.JPG

And some setback. A green Acropora, a slimming one, had to be cut in half. Something that look like brown jelly disease had taken over half the colony. Might be due to a couple of BTA burning it.
No disaster, we got plenty of colonies of this species, but sad because it was a large and nice looking colony. I would guess it was about 15 kg.
IMG_7536.JPG

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week started as the last one ended, by moving rocks, leather corals and mushrooms from the 2500L tank to the temporary holding tanks. Now we are at the bottom layer, not too many rocks left. We managed to catch some Banggai Cardinals and moved them as well. Tomorrow I hope we can catch a couple of tangs. We need grazers in the new tanks.
There's some great algae growth in the new tanks! :)
IMG_7533.JPG
Actually I'm happy with that. It's a tank with lots of light and no grazers. So great food for the tangs when we catch them!
We got urchins in the other two acrylic tanks with lights, so not as much algae in those.

And this is our seahorse tank and mantis tank, just before they were moved. The exhibition is going down, bit by bit.
IMG_7534.JPG

And some setback. A green Acropora, a slimming one, had to be cut in half. Something that look like brown jelly disease had taken over half the colony. Might be due to a couple of BTA burning it.
No disaster, we got plenty of colonies of this species, but sad because it was a large and nice looking colony. I would guess it was about 15 kg.
IMG_7536.JPG
I don't want to know your guys electric bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back