Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife had never left the US/Canada area so she likes to see what life is like outside of the bigger cities and tourist traps. She even likes the idea of local food until she has to eat it. ;Wideyed:p

Here in Gotheburg you can get all of the typical swedish food like pizza, chinese, japanese, thai, falafel, gyros, kebab - you name it :) Probably Swedes have embraced more foreign food than other nationalities. But if you come in the fall - we have to make a "kräftskiva" for you. :) Swedish crayfish party :)

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Gotheburg you can get all of the typical swedish food like pizza, chinese, japanese, thai, falafel, gyros, kebab - you name it :) Probably Swedes have embraced more foreign food than other nationalities. But if you come in the fall - we have to make a "kräftskiva" for you. :) Swedish crayfish party :)

Sincerely Lasse
If there is a good Italian restaraunt (And by good, I mean fake Italian with american style pizza and heavy red pasta sauce) then Gothenburg may become her favorite city in Europe! :p
I will admit, even I am not brave enough for the Lutefisk again. Once was enough... or too much. ;Yuck

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we have Italian resturants that make you feel being in Italy. A lot of them. Did you not manage Lutfisk - that´s nothing compared with surströmming :)

Sincerely Lasse
Who doesn’t love fermented herring??? lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who doesn’t love fermented herring??? lol
Umm... Me. I'm more of a southern BBQ kinda guy than fermented bait or soap soaked fish.
f0b02b1b3d74cebf450b7a7211e43917.jpg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First something for all the foodies in this thread ;) Today we had smörgåstårta for lunch(a colleague celebrated and brought it to work). That's something Swedish you should try!
IMG_7588.JPG

Then some more light fixtures. Now we have a Hydra tank. Reusing fixtures from our propagation tanks. Took me two minutes to programme all five. That I like :)
IMG_7587.JPG
IMG_7594.JPG

Trying out new stuff. I have a plan.. ;)
IMG_7590.JPG
IMG_7592.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those frags on pipes looks a bit like the tower next to the museum :eek:
IMG_7591.JPG
IMG_7597.JPG

(Picture from Wikipedia)

That was not my plan, but kind of fun :D
I'm at a loss... what are the long posts for? My initial vision was a handle to use them in a children's parade from a coral "touch tank"!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at a loss... what are the long posts for? My initial vision was a handle to use them in a children's parade from a coral "touch tank"!
Hehe. No :)

My plan is:
1. Coral grow and get to a medium size colony.
2. We buy a waterproof drill.
3. A diver drills holes in the rocks.
4. The next diver insert the pvc pipe with the coral! ;Shamefullyembarrased

Plus our frag plugs posts are a bit small so they move around on the egg crates, a longer base and they won't fall over! And we can use more of the light in the propagation tanks having corals on different heights (just my theory..). :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the status on the new propagation systems! :)

Acrylic tanks ~4000L
Corals and lights in four out of six tanks now.
Mostly SPS + Euphyllia
NO3 quite steady at ~ 1ppm.
PO4 low(Hanna LR says 0).
Adding some KH2PO4 now and then to make sure the phosphate is not depleted.
There're actually a lot of fish in the systems now so I think we will see some more nutrients in the water soon. Still haven't added a macro algae refugium yet. I'm afraid it'll use up the few nutrients there are. But it will be a refugium connected sooner or later. Might try to use the sunlight and put it in one of the windows. We'll see.

White plastic tanks
Two tanks running, volume ~ 4000L in total.
Lights up over one tank, but started to add lights to the other one today.
Mixed reef, lots of soft corals at the moment but will be a lot of SPS as well. We're moving in Seriatopora hystrix now(and we've got a lot).
NO3 at 5 ppm and PO4 at 0,04 ppm(Salifert and Hanna LR).
I'm a bit surprised the nutrients went up here. We used more newly mixed saltwater to this system and there are not that many fish yet.
It might be because most of the bottom layers of rocks in our old soft coral tank ended up in this system, with some 15+ years old sediment.
Anyway, the levels are great now so I'm not worried. Just curious:)

So far the move to the new tanks have been successfull. But I'm aware we're moving fast so I keep a close eye on the parameters and the health of the fish and invertebrates.
We can do large water changes if we need, using water from our large reef tanks that's still running.

There are some algae growing but having lots of urchins (we've borrow urchins from the shark tank and the 10000L reef) and at least one tang or rabbitfish in each tank I think the situation is under control.

This week the alkalinity has started to decrease. At this point we're using Triton Core7 as supplement for KH, Ca, Mg etc. Might add calcium reactors later, but at the moment the good ones are still running in the old systems.
So it's a lot of KH testing and dosing adjustments to do now. KH is around 6-7 dKH. I aim for 7 dKH.

That was a lot of text :) But it's fun when things are moving forward so I guess I'm a bit excited!

Happy Easter!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture/retweet on the lower plastic tank. A bit more accurate colours than in my pictures from LED tanks.. :oops:
IMG_7600.PNG

The post is from my friend Stefan. He's working for the LED company Heliospectra that we do some research together with. That's why he's so happy about the lights :)

The lights are great, but ~50% of the diods are red. So we're only using half its capacity. If they do design a version with a spectrum for corals, these fixtures would be fantastic though.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Easter! Well, almost. ;)

This week the alkalinity has started to decrease. At this point we're using Triton Core7 as supplement for KH, Ca, Mg etc. Might add calcium reactors later, but at the moment the good ones are still running in the old systems.
So it's a lot of KH testing and dosing adjustments to do now. KH is around 6-7 dKH. I aim for 7 dKH.

I'm curious as to why you use the Core7 instead of buying the individual chemicals and mixing them yourself? I would have thought this was cost prohibitive on the scale you must need to add them. Or are the Core7 chemicals much cheaper for you than we can get them in the states?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Easter! Well, almost. ;)

I'm curious as to why you use the Core7 instead of buying the individual chemicals and mixing them yourself? I would have thought this was cost prohibitive on the scale you must need to add them. Or are the Core7 chemicals much cheaper for you than we can get them in the states?

Triton Lab is our only real sponsor/donator. So all their products and tests are free for us(at the moment). And I like test Core7 a bit more to see how it goes.
With the old tanks we've runned calcium reactors plus Triton additives when needed for years. I don't like to change things that are working. The calcium reactors were there before Triton came along and they have worked well.
We will probably run a combination of Core7 and reactors later on. We've got a lot of home grown coral skeleton to use up :)

So when it comes to Triton lab I'm bias :) But if I wasn't happy with their products I wouldn't use them. The animals wellbeing comes first. Fortunately I haven't been disappointed, I think they are a good company and I'm very happy for all help they've given us!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month and three days progress in the Temporary Aquarium.
IMG_7408.JPG
IMG_7609.JPG

And a couple more pictures from today
IMG_7610.JPG
IMG_7613.JPG

Might look a bit chaotic, but it's actually in pretty good order for being us :)

Here's @Lasse 's GHL- and coffee cup stand :)
IMG_7612.JPG

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month and three days progress in the Temporary Aquarium.
IMG_7408.JPG
IMG_7609.JPG

And a couple more pictures from today
IMG_7610.JPG
IMG_7613.JPG

Might look a bit chaotic, but it's actually in pretty good order for being us :)

Here's @Lasse 's GHL- and coffee cup stand. Movable and easy access from both front and back side. But we need to paint it white so it fits in with the rest of the stands.. ;)
IMG_7612.JPG
Very nice, alot work. Thanks for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back