Swedish fish - behind the scenes rebuilding a public aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course some substances like ammonia will be aired out in the skimmer. But oxygen, nitrogen and CO2 will be oversaturated in the water leaving the venturi at the skimmer.
Then it is the question of contact time and bubble size in the skimmer...
Anyway I have seen some reports of oversatured oxygen on reefs som maybe its not that sensitive.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If You are going to use the algae filter I would expect active carbon or ozone to clear from yellowing water.
And I am surprized that the drip filter is not after the protein skimmers as degassing.
Very interesting to see. What are the spolvatten and spillvatten tanks?

Tony

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course some substances like ammonia will be aired out in the skimmer. But oxygen, nitrogen and CO2 will be oversaturated in the water leaving the venturi at the skimmer.
Then it is the question of contact time and bubble size in the skimmer...
Anyway I have seen some reports of oversatured oxygen on reefs som maybe its not that sensitive.
I'm not sure they will be oversaturated(or at least not that much) in a skimmer due to the lack of pressure(in the skimmer). I might be wrong here, so please be kind :)

Getting air bubbles into a large and strong return pump might result in oversaturated water leading to the fish getting the bends. That's what I've been told, never seen it myself.
But it also depends on the design of the pipes, specially on the suction side I think.
We've had lots of discussions on this, but I'm not an expert. @Lasse has more experience in these large pumps and skimmers than me and he has approved the drawings :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - no dangerous levels of oversaturation can happen in open systems as skimmers. The important gas is nitrogen. However - air (containing 80 % Nitrogen) can be sucked into the suction side, hence the pressure on the pressure side will oversaturate the water with N2 - very dangerous in a long pipe system with higher pressure Exactly what David state :)

Sincerely

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tony
That's our Swedish terms for backwash water and waste water. That's water to backwash the sand pressure filters and the waste water from the backwashing.

We want to have the options to use tank water or fresh water to backwash. We will also have an option to use waste water from the RO units to use for backwashing, if we really want to save water.
Therefor we need a tank for the water that will be used for backwashing the filters.

And since the building are under ground, and the water flow from a backwash is high, we need a tank for collecting the waste water first. Then pump the waste water to the drain, but at a lower flow rate.
This also gives us the opportunity to treat the water with UV-C if the rules changes and we must do that.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tony

Spolvatten = rinse/flush water; spillvatten = wastewater/effluent

Sincerely Lasse

Edit - David är på hugget idag (means - he bite fast today :) )

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need one of those pond size oxydators if you can afford the hydrogen peroxide to run it?! ;)
Every time Lasse is explaining the oxydator to me I zoom out and think of other stuff.. :rolleyes: But I will try one someday!
And if there are pond size oxydators existing, that might be something for us :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time Lasse is explaining the oxydator to me I zoom out and think of other stuff.. :rolleyes: But I will try one someday!
And if there are pond size oxydators existing, that might be something for us :)
I have a pond size Oxydator now... but you would need more than one!
I wish I could figure out how the thing works... the water/H202/gas exchange has me baffled.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On YouTube a guys making or suggest one can use pieces of potato as catylist for Oxydator process . Potatoes have an enzyme for converting hydrogen peroxide to oxygen. Pretty cool
I'm sure that could work. The Oxydator uses a mechanical catalyst instead of a chemical one so it should almost never need replacing.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into one I'm more likely going to make the container but I will buy that little catalyst component(s). Simple design
I'm not sure how simple it is. It "seems" simple and I thought it was going to be simple, but once I actually had one in my hands I was lost. I feel the outer container must be porous enough to allow gas exchange at a controlled rate and that would be hard to replicate. Of course, I could be missing something obvious.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found one for ponds up to 25000L! I have no idea if all materials are suitable for saltwater though. I will check with Lasse on Monday.
Oxydators might be worth a try in the temporary tanks.
IMG_7795.PNG

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found one for ponds up to 25000L! I have no idea if all materials are suitable for saltwater though. I will check with Lasse on Monday.
Oxydators might be worth a try in the temporary tanks.
IMG_7795.PNG
Yes there fine in saltwater I have one in my tank

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe You can just as well add Hydrogen peroxide in the sump with a 24/7 dosing pump. (Low flow - stepping motor)
I like the idea of dosing it with a dosing pump! Easy to change doses and no more equipment than a dosing pump.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday we emptied the 10000 litre reef tank. Now the bamboo shark reef is the only display tank still up and running.
IMG_7798.JPG
IMG_7804.JPG

Here's how we attached rock to our home made background. Didn't remember that so many rocks were drilled and attached :)
IMG_7801.JPG
IMG_7802.JPG

With this background we didn't need that much rocks actually. I think there were more rocks in the 2500L soft coral tank.

Now we need to clean up... And sort corals. The bamboo shark tank will have to wait until September :)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday we emptied the 10000 litre reef tank. Now the bamboo shark reef is the only display tank still up and running.
IMG_7798.JPG
IMG_7804.JPG

Here's how we attached rock to our home made background. Didn't remember that so many rocks were drilled and attached :)
IMG_7801.JPG
IMG_7802.JPG

With this background we didn't need that much rocks actually. I think there were more rocks in the 2500L soft coral tank.

Now we need to clean up... And sort corals. The bamboo shark tank will have to wait until September :)
I bet there’s a bristleworm or two in that pile of acro skeletons! Lol. Keep up the good work !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back