Swedish fish - behind the scenes rebuilding a public aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so this is totally off topic, but my husband just came back from a work trip to Sweden and has introduced me to the concept of a Sweedish Fika. It sounds like a good time for all. Is this something done throughout Sweden or is it just the area he was in? I will probably spell it wrong but he was in Fitzbaun or someplace that sounds like that anyway.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So trollhummer is troll lobster, does hummer directly translate to lobster? That would make sense for the military vehicles Hummer’s; since they are armored and such.

Last edited:

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji12]
8c1d10e3f1f6efa2d6c83b9dfefaaddf.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so this is totally off topic, but my husband just came back from a work trip to Sweden and has introduced me to the concept of a Sweedish Fika. It sounds like a good time for all. Is this something done throughout Sweden or is it just the area he was in? I will probably spell it wrong but he was in Fitzbaun or someplace that sounds like that anyway.
Could it be Finspång? A Swedish "bruksort" with a lot of Industries. Your husband have discover the secret soul of Sweden - the "fikapaus" - a coup of coffé, sometimes a "bulle" or "kaka". Every workplace have a "fikarum" and by tradition you have a "fika" break before noon (around 10:00 o´clock) and in the afternoon around 14:30.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So trollhunmer is troll lobster, does hummer directly translate to lobster? That would make sense for the military vehicles Hummer’s; since they are armored and such.
Yes, precisely. Hummer is lobster in Swedish :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to be back at work, and back at R2R! :)
I know the actual building process hasn't started yet, so aquarium wise it's not a super interesting thread. But now it's only a couple of months until we know what company that will do the rebuild and hopefully they will start to dig during the fall.

For us, the Aquarium staff, that means we need to clear out all our old facilities and save what we think we'll need, and throw or give away the rest. In the beginning of September, we won't have the same access to the rest of the building, we will have to stay in the room where the temporary Aquarium is and perhaps one or two rooms more. We will share office and toilets with the building crew I think, in a byssja/barrack :)

I'm still getting into the aquarist mode, measuring and observing, to get the feeling where our coral propagation tanks are at the moment. Some corals look great while others doesn't and so on. I'll give a more detailed update when I'm updated myself.

Oh, and we need to empty the 26000L bamboo shark reef soon as well. We need to get the last propagation tanks ready! Ordered a bunch of Hydra LEDs today, so I think we'll have enough to get another 4 meter tank well lit.

Okey, that was a small update :)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to be back at work, and back at R2R! :)
I know the actual building process hasn't started yet, so aquarium wise it's not a super interesting thread. But now it's only a couple of months until we know what company that will do the rebuild and hopefully they will start to dig during the fall.

For us, the Aquarium staff, that means we need to clear out all our old facilities and save what we think we'll need, and throw or give away the rest. In the beginning of September, we won't have the same access to the rest of the building, we will have to stay in the room where the temporary Aquarium is and perhaps one or two rooms more. We will share office and toilets with the building crew I think, in a byssja/barrack :)

I'm still getting into the aquarist mode, measuring and observing, to get the feeling where our coral propagation tanks are at the moment. Some corals look great while others doesn't and so on. I'll give a more detailed update when I'm updated myself.

Oh, and we need to empty the 26000L bamboo shark reef soon as well. We need to get the last propagation tanks ready! Ordered a bunch of Hydra LEDs today, so I think we'll have enough to get another 4 meter tank well lit.

Okey, that was a small update :)
You ordered so many hydras you don’t remember how many! That is awesome Haha.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ordered so many hydras you don’t remember how many! That is awesome Haha.
I know how many I ordered, just felt embarrassed or too vulgar to write that I ordered ten Hydra 52. Swedish mentality I guess ;Bucktooth
Got an answer today, we'll get them tomorrow!

Woke up too early this morning, so I was at work long before the tanks started to wake up. Did some test and had some morning coffee.

My first post on the new R2R site. Cool! Hope it works :)

Attachments

• IMG_8109.JPG
    IMG_8109.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know have many I ordered, just felt embarrassed or too vulgar to write that I ordered ten Hydra 52. Swedish mentality I guess ;Bucktooth
Oh I see, my apologies. We are all reefing buddies though! I get excited when my people I follow on here get new gear, It’s mutually beneficial because we get to see incredible pics of coral down the road ;)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know have many I ordered, just felt embarrassed or too vulgar to write that I ordered ten Hydra 52. Swedish mentality I guess ;Bucktooth

Woke up too early this morning, so I was at work long before the tanks started to wake up. Did some test and had some morning coffee.

My first post on the new R2R site. Cool! Hope it works :)

Computer by a sink, we don't even have that here, like you guys.
Swedish engineering

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tip of the day!
Grow a large table Acropora, preferably a pink one. Let a Montipora grow over it so it doesn't get any light and dies. Take it out and put it upside down. Drill 10mm holes, or whatever size your frags plugs have. Insert frags on plugs and you have your own homegrown frag rack/rock!! :D

Attachments

• IMG_8113.JPG
    IMG_8113.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8112.JPG
    IMG_8112.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8114.JPG
    IMG_8114.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 46

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tip of the day!
Grow a large table Acropora, preferably a pink one. Let a Montipora grow over it so it doesn't get any light and dies. Take it out and put it upside down. Drill 10mm holes, or whatever size your frags plugs have. Insert frags on plugs and you have your own homegrown frag rack/rock!! :D

I like the end result but not so much on how you achieved it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back