Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Profilux question.....pulling all the items together today to FINALLY purchase my first controller.

What is more desirable, or should I say, more reliable for ATO configuration: Optical sensor of Float sensor? I used a floater style setup for years with my current ATO setup and have no experience with optical type setup. Lastly, with either setup: should I go with one or two sensors? Again, I've always run just one and never had a problem, but want to get this right first time around.

Many thanks again for the help to date in getting this all sorted out......can't wait for the Profilux!

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Profilux question.....pulling all the items together today to FINALLY purchase my first controller.

What is more desirable, or should I say, more reliable for ATO configuration: Optical sensor of Float sensor? I used a floater style setup for years with my current ATO setup and have no experience with optical type setup. Lastly, with either setup: should I go with one or two sensors? Again, I've always run just one and never had a problem, but want to get this right first time around.

Many thanks again for the help to date in getting this all sorted out......can't wait for the Profilux!
I believe there both great, IF you clean them regularly... I happen to use optical though as it switches on and off with a smaller water level change, but have float switches as emergency backups for various things..

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both, and they both work great but the optical sensors need to remain clean to function properly.

I would go with a two sensor, high and low. You can also add a third if you want even additional
Redundancy which would be high water. (Used to turn off the skimmer and also act as another fail safe)

The high,low would be for me float sensors and the third which would be really high water would be optical. (Like an issue going on).

The great thing GHL brings to the AWC and the ATO programming is the max on time before it alerts. So even if the sensor fails the system max on timer settings will stop the pump and alert you.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on where you have to install the switch I have several of both. In my current tank I use the float model as the surface agitation of the water where I had to put it caused the optical switch issues. The float model needs to be cleaned at least every other week to make sure scum and limpets don't stop it from working.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Armed with this info I think I'm going to stick to basic (and what I know has worked for me for 12+ years) and go with (2) Float Sensors.

My ATO is tied directly into my RO/DI unit (I don't use a reservoir) and with two sensors I can run them a couple of vertical inches apart so when it calls for top-off water the unit stays on longer. And it will take longer to trigger a need for water. This way I don't pound away on my DI resin with TDS creep with small on/off cycles.

Thx again for this info.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have maintenance 1 on my touch set to 120 minutes.
aac9aeda4d9b73f24d1ef3b3ae2b633a.jpg

I already have all my maintenance buttons assigned. With 14 plugs i would need another 14 maintenance buttons to do something as simple as switching off one specific plug for a random and not pre defined amount of time.

This to me is a significant oversight of the GHL. If i have an aquarium computer i should not have to physically unplug one outlet if i want to change media from a reactor, change an uv bulb, service my ato pump, service my return pump, service a powerhead, turn of a heater , service a skimmer etc....

Nor should i have to program 10 maintenance functions for each one.

It should be possible to simply turn any outlet off in the connect app and it should stay off until I put it back on. The app could also send you alerts after a certain amount of tine to tell you that you left a certain outlet manually on or off.

If the reason why this is not offered as a possibility is to prevent us from accidentally leaving an outlet in a state other than its programmed state it also does not work. As i am forced to physically unplug the outlet I can just as easily forget to plug it back in.

So please GHL, add buttons to the app that allow for quick and permanent switching on or off outlets. (Or at least allow the manual override to work even if the Device goes into sleep mode).

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e1b192491145b52f58c308c886f7f4af.jpg

So you turn on manual control
019bb073d9fb4eb5bf03769eac3fba35.jpg

Then tap on the > and type in the delay time.
Then go and turn off the button

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....It should be possible to simply turn any outlet off in the connect app and it should stay off until I put it back on. The app could also send you alerts after a certain amount of tine to tell you that you left a certain outlet manually on or off....
Which changing the function to Always Off accomplishes, with the exception there is no reminder to turn it back on.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok have another quick question.....sorry just trying to cover all bases before I purchase!

For those you that run Mitras's, or any other light that can run wirelessly from the Profilux, how many have purchase or run with the PLM-PWV Expansion Card?

My Profilux will be downstairs in basement maintenance room and my display tank is on the first floor. I don't do a heck of a lot with playing with the Mitras settings, if at all, and just need to know if it's worth configuring the Profilux with an Expansion Card?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciate.......thx so much

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which changing the function to Always Off accomplishes, with the exception there is no reminder to turn it back on.
That sounds a simple solution except if you use programmable logic, then you have to remember which program you assigned and to switch it back correctly

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@turfster26 -

The expansion card does a few things but not 100% necesssry.

One feature is for power outages, you can program your lights for lower power consumption

Tempature reduction detection if your tank gets to hot the light output can be reduced.

You can program the lights through the P4 :)

I have theee lx7206 with IP address on them all with them configured to the master light and I use the GHL app through WiFi and the myghl cloud to program them without any issues.

I may add the card later for the advance feature of lowering the lights do the tank tempature.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do, but you could jot down a note which PL it is so not to forget.
Yes of course, but why are we having to do that, this is a computer, not going backwards, and would be easy to change the programming there are no negatives to having the switch remain as we set it, if people are going to forget to turn it back in then there going to forget to write things down...

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@turfster26 -

The expansion card does a few things but not 100% necesssry.

One feature is for power outages, you can program your lights for lower power consumption

Tempature reduction detection if your tank gets to hot the light output can be reduced.

You can program the lights through the P4 :)

I have theee lx7206 with IP address on them all with them configured to the master light and I use the GHL app through WiFi and the myghl cloud to program them without any issues.

I may add the card later for the advance feature of lowering the lights do the tank tempature.

Again THANK YOU everyone for your prompt replies.

Sounds like it would be of those "nice to have, but not needed" items. It's not terribly expensive at $70. But, as Ditto mentioned, I have my (4) Mitras setup in Master/Slave modes and have them wirelessly configured. Since downloading Vinny's SPS program I don't even touch them anymore. The beauty of a solid program and LED's.......set it forget it.

I'm really trying to KISS with the Profilux. I am sure I am going to have my hands full programming all the important stuff and I guess I can always come back later and fiddle with things like the Mitras's at a later point.

So at this point I am going to scrap the Touch Pad and the wireless expansion card.

Goona make the purchase today or tomorrow......gonna be a bummer to wait until they ship the newer 6e version, but it will worth the wait imho!

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holler from the rooftops......IT'S OFFICIAL. I finally joined the "controller club" after resisting the purchase (couldn't justify the expensive) for many years.

I bought the Profilux 4 with the newer 6e powerbar. And many accessories (float switches, probe holders, tube holders, etc, etc) and purchase a slave Doser 2.1.

I am totally stoked and can't wait until I receive it. It may be several weeks due to the newer 6e powerbar. but it will be worth the wait. I am sure I will have plenty of programming questions so please brace yourselves......lololololol.

Anyway, THANK YOU so much everyone (all the GHL fanboys) for all your help and answering all my questions. It was a tough decision not going with the "status quo" with the "other" controller, but I'm confident GHL will shine through.

All the best to all..............will keep you posted as soon as!

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holler from the rooftops......IT'S OFFICIAL. I finally joined the "controller club" after resisting the purchase (couldn't justify the expensive) for many years.

I bought the Profilux 4 with the newer 6e powerbar. And many accessories (float switches, probe holders, tube holders, etc, etc) and purchase a slave Doser 2.1.

I am totally stoked and can't wait until I receive it. It may be several weeks due to the newer 6e powerbar. but it will be worth the wait. I am sure I will have plenty of programming questions so please brace yourselves......lololololol.

Anyway, THANK YOU so much everyone (all the GHL fanboys) for all your help and answering all my questions. It was a tough decision not going with the "status quo" with the "other" controller, but I'm confident GHL will shine through.

All the best to all..............will keep you posted as soon as!

Welcome to the club! Very good choice!

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’m trying to set up my P4 but can’t get it to connect with the WiFi per the video instructions. I left a voice mail for GHL in Florida the day I was off work and nobody called me back. Sent an email 3 weeks ago and nobody has responded.

I’ve read Vinny is pretty good at reaching out to members and helping to set up.

Viny, if you’re out there, I could really use some help with my P4 initial setup!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back