Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great thing about the expansion box is all the cards it already has in it! You start adding up additional cards and there's a point (usually 2 cards in) where it makes more sense to just grt the expansion box.

@siggy if your p4 is upstairs the expansion box makes a lot of sense. You could run it with the stand alone maxi for now, but if you ever want to add anything else downstairs the expansion makes sense!

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we're on the subject on how to configure and run the Profilux. I have a quick pre-order question.

Was planning on getting the "Mega" kit, but is it worth the extra $150 to purchase the "Ultimate"kit which comes with the Profilux Touch display? Or can I simply save the $150 and use an old iPad located at my display tank. (quick not: my sump and all accessories are in the basement and display on the 1st floor/TV room).

Thx in advance for any insight.........

Btw: I stress again on how helpful this particular thread has been in helping me in my decision in purchasing my first aquarium controller.....big shoot out to all that has help with invaluable information.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my sump and all my ghl gear in the basement. I also have the touch down there. I use my phone 99.99% of the time now that the app is where it's at. I only use the touch occasionally to shut down the skimmer to clean the cup since it's right there by it. I also glance at my parameters occasionally when I walk by there. Other than that I use my phone and the app. It's quick and convenient.

A year ago I would have said get the touch for sure. Now, not so much. Up to every individual, but if I was buying today I would probably skip it and use that extra money towards a maxi doser or something else. Or just spend less.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that¨s a good idea if it is below 100 meters between the Exp box and the computer.

Sincerely Lasse

@Lasse is spot on. You can easily use the doser 2.1 and one of the heads as a ATO, very simple to setup and GHL has some good YouTube videos showing the step by step.

@turfster26 - a great thread on the touch is here :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ghl-touch-worth-it.438940/#post-5017046

I like mine alot, but the app has come a long way also and could see peole now doing the iPad and launch the app also. :)

I have my sump and all my ghl gear in the basement. I also have the touch down there. I use my phone 99.99% of the time now that the app is where it's at. I only use the touch occasionally to shut down the skimmer to clean the cup since it's right there by it. I also glance at my parameters occasionally when I walk by there. Other than that I use my phone and the app. It's quick and convenient.

A year ago I would have said get the touch for sure. Now, not so much. Up to every individual, but if I was buying today I would probably skip it and use that extra money towards a maxi doser or something else. Or just spend less.

Thank you both with this info.

I may find two old iPads and have one in the basement and one by the display tank?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we're on the subject on how to configure and run the Profilux. I have a quick pre-order question.

Was planning on getting the "Mega" kit, but is it worth the extra $150 to purchase the "Ultimate"kit which comes with the Profilux Touch display? Or can I simply save the $150 and use an old iPad located at my display tank. (quick not: my sump and all accessories are in the basement and display on the 1st floor/TV room).

Thx in advance for any insight.........

Btw: I stress again on how helpful this particular thread has been in helping me in my decision in purchasing my first aquarium controller.....big shoot out to all that has help with invaluable information.
Though the app has improved tremendously over the past 18 months there is still one reason that would make me buy the touch: the ability to simply turn off an outlet manually.

With the app you go into manual override and switch the outlet off but as soon a your iPad goes into sleep mode it will revert into its original state. So if you are in the middle of servicing your return pump all of a sudden it will start working and water will go everywhere.

The only way to manually switch an outlet without the Touch is to physically unplug it from the wall.

It may not seem like much but to me it is very annoying.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you can program a maintance option and and let this run during a certain time. However - I use a touch and its always there. I can take a fast look as I pass by but it is mostly an observation tool - not a programming tool.

Sincerely Lasse

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To turn off a switch you could also change the function to Always Off, then turn it on by going back to the needed function. This will prevent it from reverting if your device goes to sleep.

I do like the convenance of the Touch. Seeing tank parameters, the alarm and placing in maintenance mode.

Although, if I was buying another set I'm not sure if I would get one with a Touch. I got mine because I got my kit for a great deal here on the forum.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this info. I think I may splurge for the "ultimate" kit for an extra $150 and simply put the Touch upstairs at my display tank. This way I can quickly view parameters and possible turn off my return pump during heavier feedings.

I guess you're better having it not needing it then needing it and not having it.........lolololol.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To turn off a switch you could also change the function to Always Off, then turn it on by going back to the needed function. This will prevent it from reverting if your device goes to sleep.

I do like the convenance of the Touch. Seeing tank parameters, the alarm and placing in maintenance mode.

Although, if I was buying another set I'm not sure if I would get one with a Touch. I got mine because I got my kit for a great deal here on the forum.

The problem with this is that if you do that you may forget to than turn it back to the previous mode... much as programming a maintenance mode (which i believe there are only four and i have them all filled already) this is a cumbersome workaround for something that should be simply at the click of a button. I have 14 outlets so i would need 14 maintenance modes to be able to something as simple as turning one off temporarily, for the duration I choose and not a predefined state.

I would get the touch if only for this.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though the app has improved tremendously over the past 18 months there is still one reason that would make me buy the touch: the ability to simply turn off an outlet manually.

With the app you go into manual override and switch the outlet off but as soon a your iPad goes into sleep mode it will revert into its original state. So if you are in the middle of servicing your return pump all of a sudden it will start working and water will go everywhere.

The only way to manually switch an outlet without the Touch is to physically unplug it from the wall.

It may not seem like much but to me it is very annoying.
Thanks for this, this explains why a pump turned back in for me when I “thought“ I’d turned it manually off on my iPad.... water everywhere

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the touch screen it will turn on a pump after so many minutes so you don’t forget to turn it back on. [emoji3]

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the touch screen it will turn on a pump after so many minutes so you don’t forget to turn it back on. [emoji3]

I was told that with the Touch it would stay off. It is the reason i regret to this day not having bought the Elite kit. How many minutes does it stay off?

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ultimate and never use the touch screen. I prefer the software on the MyGHL app.

If I could do it again, I would have saved the $150.

I have my phone on me all the time. I can even control my tank at home from my office.

I personally do not want anyone but me touching the controller and I have kids. So I prefer to control it only with my phone.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that with the Touch it would stay off. It is the reason i regret to this day not having bought the Elite kit. How many minutes does it stay off?

I have maintenance 1 on my touch set to 120 minutes.
aac9aeda4d9b73f24d1ef3b3ae2b633a.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back