Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am in the decision phase in choosing a controller and I very much appreciate all the work @Ditto has done to make these honest comparisons. Input from both Neptune and GHL just puts this thread over the top.
That being said I had been leaning toward the Apex and even after all this data I haven't seen enough to sway me from my original inclination. I had just set up my tank when I was called up to work remotely 3 hours away from home during the week; I'm only home on the weekends. I'm now in desperate need of a controller to remote monitor every aspect of my tank possible. The Apex is a tried and true system that does that and has a massive support network via various forums.
And from the preceding posts by the OP it's not hard to figure out that he certainly has the financial means (Radion lights, Vortech pumps) to make the switch and purchase anything he needs. I'm on a fairly tight budget and while I was content to wait until next November to get a discount (MAP pricing is ridiculous btw) I now have to find some way to pony up $800. For me the choice is obvious as Apex, while certainly not infallible, is a known an established system with great support network, an excellent web monitoring interface and comes in at a lower starting price point than the GHL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fogcutter - Thank you for posting and reading the threads. Some people will read this thread and purchase an Apex, while others will purchase GHL.

As for the financial means, your correct I do have the means to switch controllers, but it was not the means that caused me to switch it was the instability of the Apex 2016 controller that caused me to switch to GHL. Having the means allowed me to do it faster and all at once. ;)

Like yourself I am sometimes weeks away from home working across the county at customer work sites and rely on my controller to let me know how my tank is doing. Having my controller flake out while away from home twice was something I could no longer afford or worry about. My tanks are my hobby, as some have cars, boats, card collections, etc., my love is Salt Water and I can say I am hooked. I love having a small piece of the ocean in my house, I had to weigh the stability, features and functionality and choose what was best for me, and my tanks.

Making the selection of controller is in investment, and users buying one must weigh everything they have invested, may invest or are going to invest, then look at the stability, features and functionality of the product and choose, because your 100% correct not everyone has the means to switch once that investment is made. My hope is this thread helps users make that choice regardless of the decision they make.

Last edited:

rbtmcardle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto ... thanks for this thread, I am int the process of setting up a 180 and though I have an apex mothballed from my last tank... this will be a full GHL setup.. just purchased a 72” Spectra but now thinking to return that and go with the Mitras lightbars.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rbtmcardle - Thank you and happy you found the thread informative. I love the Mitras Light Bars, and on one my my tanks I just installed LX7206 and love those also. They also just introduced the Slimline Light Bars (I assuming the Light Bar 2 replacement) so check those out also. They also just announced over the weekend a Compact version 4 LED cluster version of the LX7206.

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rbtmcardle - Thank you and happy you found the thread informative. I love the Mitras Light Bars, and on one my my tanks I just installed LX7206 and love those also. They also just introduced the Slimline Light Bars (I assuming the Light Bar 2 replacement) so check those out also. They also just announced over the weekend a Compact version 4 LED cluster version of the LX7206.

Hi, about the Mitras Slimline: They are an addition, not a replacement.
Here is a comparison of the LED light bars we have: https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/ghl-illumination/

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We as manufacturers do not want to write more than necessary in this thread, everything else would not be appropriate, everyone should be able to get his own objective opinion which controller is the best choice for him.
However, I would like to point out a topic that has already been mentioned several times in this discussion: The GHL powerbars.

Yesterday we officially announced the new Powerbar 6E-PAB, details can be found in the GHL Forum:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-new-profilux-powerbar-6e-pab.568415/

(pic below shows Schuko-version, of course there are also other versions, like US and UK, available)
PB 6E_Connections_diagonal_E.jpg

tdhnry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We as manufacturers do not want to write more than necessary in this thread, everything else would not be appropriate, everyone should be able to get his own objective opinion which controller is the best choice for him.
However, I would like to point out a topic that has already been mentioned several times in this discussion: The GHL powerbars.

Yesterday we officially announced the new Powerbar 6E-PAB, details can be found in the GHL Forum:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-new-profilux-powerbar-6e-pab.568415/

(pic below shows Schuko-version, of course there are also other versions, like US and UK, available)
PB 6E_Connections_diagonal_E.jpg
When will they be available in the US?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be installing this on a new system shortly. Thanks for the detailed thread.
So as im planning, what should I consider with the equipment I have chosen. BTW I hope to have a designated Tablet Interface.

GHL Megga, xtra Pab 5.1 (old ver.)
Tank: XL 425 88 gal Display
Lights: Hybrid t5 w/ 3 - XR15's
Skimmer: Reef Octo DC control
Return: Core20
Reactor: Media If needed
Heater: 1 or 2 with oem Control, is there a better option?
2.1 Doser that is in use, additional for auto water change/ mix station in basement
Flow: MP40 Octo-Pump 2
Future possibilities KH director, No plans for a Ca Reactor ???

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matthias Gross - Thank you for sharing this. I will update the powerbar charts to now include this Powerbar option and repost.

@siggy - Having two heaters that also have there own thermostat controlled by the P4 digital tempature probe is a great option. This provides redundancy if a heater fails, and the failsafe of the internal thermostat in the heater fails the P4 will shut it down. GHL is also planning on releasing CA testing.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater: 1 or 2 with oem Control, is there a better option?

If they are not too high in wattage - use the Pl4 temp controller (inbuild) and powerbars. I use titan heaters without internal controller. Titan heaters are normally grounded, hence you have a free ground probe too !

Sincerely Lasse

rbtmcardle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Ditto Thanks...I actually had a reefer 350 with a Spectra MH fixture that I had modified to replace the MH component with 7206..unfortunately an abrupt separation led to a tear down.. I still have the 48” fixture and now the 72” fixture. They are a thing of beauty.

Here is a terrible phone pic of the 7206 inserted into the Spectra.

IMG_0808.JPG

And the modification required to do so.. I may start with the MH and convert later or just convert now with 3 7206 in the 72” Spectra unit..really struggling with this decision now.. love the plug and play no thought required success of MH, but am mindful of the potential heat issues and wasted energy of the technology. Long Island isn’t a place with cheap electricity

IMG_0807.JPG

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are not too high in wattage - use the Pl4 temp controller (inbuild) and powerbars. I use titan heaters without internal controller. Titan heaters are normally grounded, hence you have a free ground probe too !

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks I will look into it.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto

If you have the chance, could you please help @Langdon12 work through his REDOX calibration. I had an issue with mine when I first set mine up that you helped me through. He is having the same issue where his REDOX is reading -1000 and is not changing.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I see the power monitoring is there....Love how quickly GHL as a company responded to complaints and needs of its user base. BIG KUDOS

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back