Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred my Apex gear today and did my best to make the wiring presentable. Had been using the P4e as a monitor only for a few weeks so I could get used to the programming. Then I just labelled all my equipment on the switches, programmed them (even did some double-programmable logic!), and it was a very easy switch! All done through the GHL connect App.

I have to say, it was much easier to manage the cables with the GHL than it was with the Apex.

c4e676133fef1183191c59d68f700be5.jpg
Nice setup, are you controlling your Tunze stream pumps with your P4 as well?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tierd of the snake pit that my cables cause in the cabinet. I have 10 pieces of 24 V DC power supply, 5 of 12 V DC power supply, 6 different electrodes, one level switch, 7 pumps, 1 heater, one power supply for the light, 3 x 4 dosing pumps, 3 pieces of power bars, 2 power extensions and so on. Much is it :)

With help of GHL power hubs - I´m going to rebuild the whole electrical systen. Instead of breaking the 240 V (or in your case 110 V) circuit as you do with power bars - you can use few 24 V or/and 12 V power suplies and regulate the 24 or 12 V DC instead. I will also move all 240 V out from the sump cabinet - only use 24 and 12 V DC in it.

Just order the thing I need for the rebuild - it will be done during the summer. I´ll try to document it in my build thread

Sincerely Lasse

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tierd of the snake pit that my cables cause in the cabinet. I have 10 pieces of 24 V DC power supply, 5 of 12 V DC power supply, 6 different electrodes, one level switch, 7 pumps, 1 heater, one power supply for the light, 3 x 4 dosing pumps, 3 pieces of power bars, 2 power extensions and so on. Much is it :)

With help of GHL power hubs - I´m going to rebuild the whole electrical systen. Instead of breaking the 240 V (or in your case 110 V) circuit as you do with power bars - you can use few 24 V or/and 12 V power suplies and regulate the 24 or 12 V DC instead. I will also move all 240 V out from the sump cabinet - only use 24 and 12 V DC in it.

Just order the thing I need for the rebuild - it will be done during the summer. I´ll try to document it in my build thread

Sincerely Lasse
I explored this and it would be so useful, but I didn’t have the expertise to build one myself. So I’ll be watching with interest, my main fear is that it will create a potentially vulnerable single point of failure, hopefully you will find some reliable transformers..

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
I explored this and it would be so useful, but I didn’t have the expertise to build one myself. So I’ll be watching with interest, my main fear is that it will create a potentially vulnerable single point of failure, hopefully you will find some reliable transformers..

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am doing this on one tank and the other the vortech controller. Works very well get a nice tidal sway back and forth with a thunderstorm once in a while to really swirl up the tank.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will no chose one power supply to 24 or 12V. It will be 3 for 24 V (120 W each) and 2 for 12 V (80 W each). I´m connecting the cabinet with 2 different 240 V supplies. I will have some of the original power supplies in the closet ready to be plugged in if needed. I will have the heather, the light and the P4/P3 – probably with the heather and light on separate fuses.

Sincerely Lasse

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

No, not yet. I’m using the Tunze 7096 multi controller as I haven’t set up the P4 with a UPS yet, and I’ve grown used to having my powerheads under independent control.

The 7096 continues to work when there is a power cut and it has a little moonlight that I like. If the Tunze are set to external control and that external control loses power, the Tunze just shut off. That said, I only have two small 6040 powerheads connected to batteries - one in the sump and one pointed at the surface in the display (they’re 12v so last a long time). In future I might try using the P4 to control the rest if I get bored. [emoji23]

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my configured with the power cut feature enabled. I then plugged them into a UPS and reduce the power of the power heads by about 25% in the event of a power failure.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bucknutz - Thank you!!

I have received a few PM asking do I work for GHL, as I seem to answer quite a few questions. The answer is no, I am not employed or work for GHL. I have done quite a lot on my GHL controller, read quite a few threads about the GHL product, and learned much from the switch out on how do do one thing in my previous controller and how to do it now on the GHL controller. I have helped quite a few users in PM by sharing code, answering questions about the product, based on what I have done on my existing controllers or if something is new that I have never done trying to program it on a spare controller. Overall one would say I am a avid and enthusiastic user of the product. I am also learning from others, within these forums also. We have a great GHL user base, that continues to grow, the flexibility of the product allows us to do some amazing things, and I am always surprised when other post solution to issues in a way that I did not think of.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bucknutz - Thank you!!

I have received a few PM asking do I work for GHL, as I seem to answer quite a few questions. The answer is no, I am not employed or work for GHL. I have done quite a lot on my GHL controller, read quite a few threads about the GHL product, and learned much from the switch out on how do do one thing in my previous controller and how to do it now on the GHL controller. I have helped quite a few users in PM by sharing code, answering questions about the product, based on what I have done on my existing controllers or if something is new that I have never done trying to program it on a spare controller. Overall one would say I am a avid and enthusiastic user of the product. I am also learning from others, within these forums also. We have a great GHL user base, that continues to grow, the flexibility of the product allows us to do some amazing things, and I am always surprised when other post solution to issues in a way that I did not think of.
I think your fluffy cat (screensaver) is not impressed as much....

FYI - dont think link for the notification video is working...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your fluffy cat (screensaver) is not impressed as much....

FYI - dont think link for the notification video is working...

Thank you for telling me about the issue with the one video, I have corrected the issue in the post above.

That is just a picture of cat sleeping as a background picture (She likes to sleep alot :))

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto do you have a tutorial for setting up pump 4 of the KH Director/Doser to automatically dose Alkalinity solution based on what the KH Director tests?

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, KH Director days dkh is 9.6 but Hannah Checker says 9.2 repeatedly. Which would you believe?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back