OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse - thank you for the update!! I know you were switching out for the powerhub 6d Did you run into any issues doing the switchout?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I did not (at least not yet :) I have not attached everything yet but I do not suspect any wrong will happen

I have used them for years in an application in a fish farm. They was a part of our feeding system. We had 24 AC feeding machines and every output was connected to a 24 V AC and to a cyclic timer. The cycle was 12 hours of working - on for 1 to 60 seconds every 10 minutes (time on depended of how many fishes and size in that particular tank. It means at least 72 on of during a day - the ones that run for the longest time was working during nearly 3 years - it means 78 000 cycles - no fault. However we use one hub (in another place) to manage 1000 w heater with pulse mode. There we had 4 relays (on two different hubs) broken down (not the individual fuse in them - it was the relay that broke down) It seems that they do not manage high load and many small on - of cycles ( with pulse mode - the cycles can be 1 second)

Its standard relays - rather easy to exchange if you are good at soldering (and remove the old soldering :)) But as I know it today - I will not use them to manage higher load in small pulses

Sincerely Lasse

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my way

cabinet.jpg

I will get rid of at least 9 pcs of 24 V adapters and nearly the same amount of 12 V adapters.

Sincerely Lasse
ok this has peaked my interest in GHL, can you tell me what is going on and how you are able to replace the black boxes? or point me in the right direction?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok this has peaked my interest in GHL, can you tell me what is going on and how you are able to replace the black boxes? or point me in the right direction?

I'm trying to understand these as well. I have 6 Vortechs (32v / 1.8a / 40w each) and 6 Radions (36v / 3.5a / 190w each. And I'm trying to figure out if two of these is what I need to get rid of those 12 power adapters. All so new to me. But man I would love to clear those annoying adapters out.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not only annoying, but many of the bricks we get are not that great efficiency, dumping more heat into your room / enclosure.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this of Ditto, but maybe @Lasse and other longer term users know. Is there any way to reference the on/off state of an outlet/switch to control another outlet/switch? In Apex this is something as simple as if Outlet1 = Off then Off, I can't seem to find an easy way to replicate this in ProfiLux.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this of Ditto, but maybe @Lasse and other longer term users know. Is there any way to reference the on/off state of an outlet/switch to control another outlet/switch? In Apex this is something as simple as if Outlet1 = Off then Off, I can't seem to find an easy way to replicate this in ProfiLux.

I'm trying to do the same with my Sicce power-heads. All I have now, is offsetting the times but having if X on then off is preferable because I can apply that to a lot of other things.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue boxes are Meanwell power supplies.
@Lasse

So if i understand correctly, the powerhub is just like the normal strip power supplies. However because of the beauty of the DIN system you can add DC power supplies, like the mean well ones you are using? Is that right?

Ok, so i know on my radions, for example, the brick has a unique connection (on the opposite side of the plug), that goes to the light, are you having to rewire them directly to the MW Power supply? if so, can we see how you are doing that on somethings?

Lastly, the Powerhub, then turns off/on the MW power supply that it powers correct?

@Lasse if you are feeling so generous, would you mind breaking down the picture you have posted on here that shows your electrical?

Showing what the components are, and their function, i think i am 90% understanding this and about ready to place my order!! lol

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to understand these as well. I have 6 Vortechs (32v / 1.8a / 40w each) and 6 Radions (36v / 3.5a / 190w each. And I'm trying to figure out if two of these is what I need to get rid of those 12 power adapters. All so new to me. But man I would love to clear those annoying adapters out.

I do not know exactly how the power adapters for Vortech and Radions works. If they are normal 2 cords (one plus and one minus) constant voltages adapters you can get more powerful adapters and use the power hub in order to put them on or of if you want. Of safety reasons (if one fall - the other should work) I would try to find 2 pcs 32 V/6A adapters and 2 pcs 36 V / 12 A adapters. If you want to individual control each pump (on/off) and each Radion (on/off) - you can use 2 power hubs for this. But if the original power adapters have unique connection and use more cords than 2 - it is a problem. It probably can work but needs a rewiring and if you do not know how to do it exactly - do not think about it

I use Mitras Light Bar 2 to my aquarium and I have 300 W power adapter for all of my 4 bars. This adapter - I control the incoming 230 V.

I use Jebao pumps and Wave makers. They work with normal 24 V DC into the controllers. My GHL equipment use 12 V (however doser 2 - 24 V) DC. I have 3 MeanWell DC sources 24V / 5A / 120 W and 2 MeanWell 12V/6,25A/75W.

@Lasse

So if i understand correctly, the powerhub is just like the normal strip power supplies. However because of the beauty of the DIN system you can add DC power supplies, like the mean well ones you are using? Is that right?

Ok, so i know on my radions, for example, the brick has a unique connection (on the opposite side of the plug), that goes to the light, are you having to rewire them directly to the MW Power supply? if so, can we see how you are doing that on somethings?

Lastly, the Powerhub, then turns off/on the MW power supply that it powers correct?

@Lasse if you are feeling so generous, would you mind breaking down the picture you have posted on here that shows your electrical?

Showing what the components are, and their function, i think i am 90% understanding this and about ready to place my order!! lol

Below - I have draw a theoretical drawing of the connections to a powerhub if you want to control 3 pcs of 12 V DC equipment, 2 pcs of 24 V DC equipment and one 230 V AC equipment, You can combine how you want - this is only one example.

Power-hubb-001.jpg

Let me also stress that if you want to do something like I have done and not have the electric skills that you need - ask an electrician to do it. At least in Sweden - if you want this attached to the cord without normal plugs - you are not allowed. You need to be a certified electrician ! I use two plugs to connect this to my outlets and the law in Sweden is like - for private use - you can do it if you have skill enough. How do you know if you are skilled enough? The simple answer is - if an accident happens - you had not the skills needed

My drawing is only an example - do not use it as usable diagram.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to do the same with my Sicce power-heads. All I have now, is offsetting the times but having if X on then off is preferable because I can apply that to a lot of other things.

As I know - there is no way to use the on/off state to control another outlet. But the state of an outlet is depended on an function. And if a function is involved - you can use the programming language to control another outlet.

I suppose that you want your Sicce to alter - if one is of - the other should be on. This is easy - it does not need any PL either. Construct an cyclic timer - let us say 120 sec on - 120 sec off. Apply that timer to the first pumps outlet. To the second pumps outlet - you apply the same timer - but check the the option switching behavior to be inverted. This you do not need any programming at all but you will have exactly the same function - when switch 1 is on - switch 2 is off - and you can also use different on and off times in the timer - min 20 sec on max 70 sec on and (as an example) min 20 sec off - max 70 sec off. With help of the invert function you get the same result in an easier way. But it is a different mindset.

@Kyl What is it exactly you want to do, maybe I can help you with PL

Sincerely Lasse

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more powerful adapters and use the power hub

I think this remark helped me understand. When I first saw the hub I thought, the hub it is the power adapter.

But in looking at your photo, I think the blue boxes (meanwell?) is actually what I need to replace multiple adapters. I assume they don't need a hub? They're just high capacity power adapters, yes? I'm now assuming the hub is like a super fancy powerbar... am I getting the basics?

As for the Vortechs, I'm not too concerned about powering them on and off since I use the Vortech controller module. But I suppose I could separate them into two groups, so 1 group could be linked to a battery backup of some sort.

2 adapters instead of 6 would be great. And 1 adapter for all 6 Radions would also be amazing. I haven't found much in "simple" high capacity adapters... so I think I need to explore the meanwell type stuff.

This one could power 5 Radions. And if I can find a 1200w, I'd be able to run 6:

Last edited:

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I know - there is no way to use the on/off state to control another outlet. But the state of an outlet is depended on an function. And if a function is involved - you can use the programming language to control another outlet.

I suppose that you want your Sicce to alter - if one is of - the other should be on. This is easy - it does not need any PL either. Construct an cyclic timer - let us say 120 sec on - 120 sec off. Apply that timer to the first pumps outlet. To the second pumps outlet - you apply the same timer - but check the the option switching behavior to be inverted. This you do not need any programming at all but you will have exactly the same function - when switch 1 is on - switch 2 is off - and you can also use different on and off times in the timer - min 20 sec on max 70 sec on and (as an example) min 20 sec off - max 70 sec off. With help of the invert function you get the same result in an easier way. But it is a different mindset.

@Kyl What is it exactly you want to do, maybe I can help you with PL

Sincerely Lasse
I've tried reading some examples but it quickly gets confusing. My return is SW1, i want other equipment to not run when SW1 is not running (skimmer, some of my powerheads, etc). This was rather easy to do with the Apex, as I noted. Not so simple, at least as far as I can tell, without extensive PL gate chains.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Came home today and the first shipment of GHL has arrived!!

IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG

Now the real fun begins!!

I want to thank Vinny for answering my week long worth of questions.

Observations:
Well Packaged overall no complaints on how it was boxed (No damage on Box, maybe it had something to do with all the red/yellow stickers on the box)
IMG_1070.JPG
A suggestion - rely less on controllers - and more on common sense (BTW - this is not an insult) - I lost about $3000 In fish etc, the last time my EB decided to just 'turn off'. No explanation - sent both in 3 weeks later (to Neptune's credit) they replaced chips in the EB and the controller - but I vowed 'never again' would I rely on 'stuff' to do maintenance on my tank.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried reading some examples but it quickly gets confusing. My return is SW1, i want other equipment to not run when SW1 is not running (skimmer, some of my powerheads, etc). This was rather easy to do with the Apex, as I noted. Not so simple, at least as far as I can tell, without extensive PL gate chains.
I think I see what you are trying to do. Whatever PL you assigned to the switch controlling your SW1 you can also assign to the other outlets. Say PL7 is the end result of your chain for SW1, then you assign PL7 to the skimmer and powerheads... or add 1 more layer to for a offset timer to turn back on. Does that make sense?

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A suggestion - rely less on controllers - and more on common sense (BTW - this is not an insult) - I lost about $3000 In fish etc, the last time my EB decided to just 'turn off'. No explanation - sent both in 3 weeks later (to Neptune's credit) they replaced chips in the EB and the controller - but I vowed 'never again' would I rely on 'stuff' to do maintenance on my tank.

No insult taken :) I lost everything in my sump when my apex failed. If it was not for a PH probe stopping my return pump on a stand alone device my tank would be gone.

I rely on my controller to control, and have placed redundancy in place that I believe will reduce the risk of this happening but only time will tell. I tell friends and others they needs to determine the acceptable risk and how much control they wish to hand over the decision is for each person, each circumstance and each instance.

One of the advantages with GHL is not everything needs to be controlled by the controller. For example my AWC is not, it is stand alone doing its work but if salinity drops for what ever reason the maxi is turned off by the P4 turning off the outlet the maxi is plugged into. Another form of redundancy with safety measures in place.

But I do understand your hesitation of handing it over again after a major failure.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I see what you are trying to do. Whatever PL you assigned to the switch controlling your SW1 you can also assign to the other outlets. Say PL7 is the end result of your chain for SW1, then you assign PL7 to the skimmer and powerheads... or add 1 more layer to for a offset timer to turn back on. Does that make sense?
I'm not using any PL chains or functionality yet, rather confused by much of it honestly once it goes past the basic things.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not using any PL chains or functionality yet, rather confused by much of it honestly once it goes past the basic things.
The PL is the same as writing code - but you do it with help of modules. But in most case you do not need the PL. Let us say that you have a timer going on the return pump that stop the pump for 10 minutes for automatic feeding at a certain time. Just use the same timer for the equipment you want to stop too.

If you want to stop the pump for maintenance - use the maintenance function. There you can decide which sockets should response (and how - on or off) to the maintenance function. The sockets you do not check to be on or off during maintenance will work as usually.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Watching the Kessil video... I'm wondering if this process is necessary for the Aquatic Life Hybrids? I just got a few DX18s and realized their port is an audio port similar to kessil.

I'm also kind of confused on what products actually have the same plug as the yellow ports on the P4....

EDIT: The more I think about it. Wouldn't it be easier to just wire a 3.5 to rj11, and bypass the breakoutbox completely? @Ditto

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if it has not been asked before I am very curious as to what brand of wire organizer you are using. Those loops on a strip look perfect for neatening up my wires.

Rob

Back