Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone else switching here's my little gotcha list so far. Odds are some of this was already covered, and some of it is buried in the user manuals but it's easy to overlook, at least it was for me:

• Save, save, save,... save. Did I mention, save?
  • Time must be set correctly or you cannot add devices to myghl, they won’t give the serial number back instead just ---
  • Firmware update - Don’t assume the com port is the same as the initial setup, always check with that device manager button
  • PH can be calibrated on the profilux unit itself, but not on the app / myghl
  • Firmware updating PAB devices requires removing all other pab devices except the one to be updated
  • Wifi module updating has changed since the walk-through video material. The ESP is a separate download, not part of GCC, and the internal webserver doesn’t look at all like it does in the older videos.
  • Forgot to add the water filter amount to the KHD line volume, though in my case it doesn't seem to affect the dkh reading at all with or without that 7ml addition?
  • MyGHL setup security key changes at set time intervals, don’t try and re-use the one from even a few minutes ago, have to do it with GCC open.
  • KHD ph port needs to be really cinched down, and will probably require a wrench/spanner to assist with. Just don't over-do it.
Aside from that stuff, and trying to figure out why the KHD is reading 1dkh lower than the reference solution, things are good. Bars are mounted, I have the P4e running in shadow mode to my Apex on the frag tank to make sure the probes are acceptable and I'm going to slowly start moving the less critical things to the ProfiLux over the course of this week. I will say the temperature probe is dead on against both my Hanna salinity meter and a NIST calibrated thermometer, versus the other temp probe I've been using.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AZMSGT - hope this helps

For the 1-10V port you have your Breeze set it to the Temperature Port you want to impact the Breeze as shown here:

88089D88-4297-4316-8970-59CDC4506F7A.png

01FC2524-3B14-4D8C-AE4C-6E94FA407C8D.png

And on the Temperature Probe set the 1-10V Max at Deviation of X degrees.
In my setup it is 2 degrees this means the fans will be at full power when the temp of my tank is 2 degrees approx at 78.45 degrees.

30EF3896-BD8F-4D09-AE2D-8D245561D7DE.png

It does not mean they are not kicking on before then because you can already see I was applying over two volts and my tank was at 76.8 degrees.

5C4226C1-307D-4C87-9D9D-586318A76765.png
@Ditto thanks for all this. I was pretty close when I tried to set it up. I hit it deep down the fowl line and just got it outside by a hair. With your help I now hit a home run.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto Perhaps you can help me with another problem.
I bought a second flow sensor. I bought a PS2 splitter locally should this cable work with both flow sensors?
Also will a PS2 extension cable work on the flow sensors?

Main reason I ask, I moved my present flow sensor to the other part of the Y cable and it doesn’t show flow now. So of corse I moved it back and it shows flow. I had planned to plug the new sensor into the Y cable but I’m not sure at the moment.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure. When you plugged it into the splitter cable and it did not work did you try both plugs? I would think if both did not work then no :). The extension cable I would think not and issue I just never tried hehe.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a ps2 extension cable to run my ATO float switch. As all my controllers and dosers are in my garage. Works great.
Don’t use the flow sensors yet. But did you assign the flow sensor to that input and save it in the software. Maybe check that.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure. When you plugged it into the splitter cable and it did not work did you try both plugs? I would think if both did not work then no :). The extension cable I would think not and issue I just never tried hehe.
One side worked the other didn't so.. Could be a bad Y or I Need something else.

I use a ps2 extension cable to run my ATO float switch. As all my controllers and dosers are in my garage. Works great.
Don’t use the flow sensors yet. But did you assign the flow sensor to that input and save it in the software. Maybe check that.

I did assign the flow sensor to it. I'll probably order more stuff from GHL direct so I can just get there version.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if the power bar sockets are individually fused? My number 5 switch stays on constantly. I mean, I see the light turn on and off when the switch turns on and off, however, there is ALWAYS power running through it.

All the other sockets work as intended.

This will be my third issue with my GHL product this month. The customer service is above any service anywhere and they always take care of me but I am starting to get a little tired of my stuff not working and having to keep sending it in to get worked on.

Please, someone tell me this happens often and easy to fix. I don’t want to take my system apart and send a part back in for maintenance again.

Ashir Parekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Anyone know if the power bar sockets are individually fused? My number 5 switch stays on constantly. I mean, I see the light turn on and off when the switch turns on and off, however, there is ALWAYS power running through it.

This will be my third issue with my GHL product this month. The customer service is above any service anywhere and they always take care of me but I am starting to get a little tired of my stuff not working and having to keep sending it in to get worked on.

Please, someone tell me this happens often and easy to fix. I don’t want to take my system apart and send a part back in for maintenance again.

I just changed a fuse on a 6d powerbar a few days ago. Those were individual t10 fuses. But shucko euro plug.

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Possibly a stuck relay. Give it a firm whack with the palm of your hand to see if you can free it.

(Unless you're using a 5.1 powerbar and looking at the constantly powered socket).

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ashir Parekh If you go into GHL connect and hit the override button and switch the socket off does the led indicator for that port turn off.

What @porter_painter said is 100 percent spot on if the fuse is blown it would be stuck off and not on.

Last edited:

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I manually override it and turn of the socket, the LED does go off but power is still running through it. You think i should just wack it? No more safer way to fix this?

I would prefer not to send this in to GHL. I don’t want to be without my system for a while.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the fifth outlet - the dimable? Do you have the GCC? Go to system menu

Screen Shot 08-22-19 at 06.29 PM.PNG

Click the plus for expanding PAB devices

Screen Shot 08-22-19 at 06.29 PM 001.PNG

Highlite the actual powerbar - go to configure

Screen Shot 08-22-19 at 06.30 PM.PNG

Check that Switchable is checked . not dimable

If it is not this problem - it can be something else - but check this first

Sincerely Lasse

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not the issue. I checked. Also, it was working fine before and just stopped recently when I had a KH Director issue.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This is a support issue with GHL - let's not derail this thread.

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BZOFIQ I am getting support from fellow users.

@everyine else So, I slapped a bit to try to knock it to work and nothing. I’ll send a note to Vinny unless someone else has experienced this or know how to take the cover off to inspect it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back