OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I need some more minds to help me with this. When I originally set up my Mitras I used the expansion card (PWC?) in my Profilux to control the lights. This worked just fine, but yesterday I removed the card and am controlling my 4 Mitras through one set to master.

I have been using ReefRocker's project all along. However, while GCC is telling me that's the project it's running it is far more yellow/green than I ever recall seeing when running the SAME project while using the expansion card. How can this be?? In both instances, the lights were set to high output, so nothing should have changed there.

What could be different? For those using this same project, does it have a daylight/white/green/yellow tint to it for you? I just can't figure if somehow I wasn't running this project before the card removal and now I am and this is really what it looks like or am I NOT running it now despite all evidence to the contrary and I wasn't before?

Anyone with suggestions?? Maybe I just put the card back in and try it and see what happens?
@Dirtrider225 @mtraylor @HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with suggestions?? Maybe I just put the card back in and try it and see what happens?
@Dirtrider225 @mtraylor @HolisticBear

I've never used the PWC card, but the manual power-balancing settings could account for it. If you had your Blues/Violet set to 130% with the PWC and didn't have the same options when controlling directly thru the Mitras, then it could be far more yellow/green.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used the PWC card, but the manual power-balancing settings could account for it. If you had your Blues/Violet set to 130% with the PWC and didn't have the same options when controlling directly thru the Mitras, then it could be far more yellow/green.
All channels were set to 100% with the PWC as far as I know, at least I never changed them so I am guessing default is 100%. They are now, for sure all at 100%, for what it's worth.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All channels were set to 100% with the PWC as far as I know, at least I never changed them so I am guessing default is 100%. They are now, for sure all at 100%, for what it's worth.

Any chance the photo mode is enabled? That tends to change the color. It's in the energy options.

Nothing else comes to mind besides an outright bug that the program didn't save / upload correctly to either the master or one of the slaves. You could try turning off each slave individually and eye-balling it to see whether the color temperature changes just as a datapoint

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance the photo mode is enabled? That tends to change the color. It's in the energy options.

Nothing else comes to mind besides an outright bug that the program didn't save / upload correctly to either the master or one of the slaves. You could try turning off each slave individually and eye-balling it to see whether the color temperature changes just as a datapoint
Nope, photo mode not enabled. I appreciate the suggestions though. This is what I was looking for. I am fairly certain I must just be going crazy...or color blind! I just can't understand WHY it looks so different. I'll keep exploring.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could help, but I do not have a Profilux.
Ok, but you still access them through GCC right? You connected one (set to master) to GCC and the remaining fixtures to slave correct? You did not connect all fixtures individually to GCC, correct? I have only connected the master via usb (and wifi) and change all settings that way. Load my project (radio button is set to use my own or load own whatever the wording is) and transmit to all and save. Same process as when I controlled them via the card in the Profilux. I'm not missing something by now controlling them via just the master, am I?

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I set the remaining 3 fixtures to slave manually via the touch pad on the fixtures themselves. I couldn't see any other way to do it besides connect each one via USB individually?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but you still access them through GCC right? You connected one (set to master) to GCC and the remaining fixtures to slave correct? You did not connect all fixtures individually to GCC, correct? I have only connected the master via usb (and wifi) and change all settings that way. Load my project (radio button is set to use my own or load own whatever the wording is) and transmit to all and save. Same process as when I controlled them via the card in the Profilux. I'm not missing something by now controlling them via just the master, am I?

Yes I access them through GCC. I actually connected to all 5 of my units one by one. Once I set the lighting schedule on the master. I save that to desktop. Then I log into each slave and upload the same file to each. Make sure your slaves are on different channels than the master as I stated before. You have to upload the lighting schedule to each one if only using the GCC. You can have the other lights working as slaves and they can be running completely different light schedules. So yes. You have to do them each individually if using GCC. Its easy to see they are different right after you log in by looking at the individual spectrums and times/percentage lights they are set too.

I can not comment on the Profilux.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I set the remaining 3 fixtures to slave manually via the touch pad on the fixtures themselves. I couldn't see any other way to do it besides connect each one via USB individually?

When you log into them via GCC, you will see the options for master slave. Much easier to setup this way and make sure they are all connected properly. If you need screen shots tomorrow, let me know and I will give you a couple examples.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mtraylor I've never had to transmit the light project to each unit (I only have 2), only transmit projects to the master. I only connect to the slave to change other settings like power settings (which you would rarely do). For sure it's syncing light projects b/c I have changed it often, or done projects where only blues come on at 2% for 30 mins to do a blackout for example. It's obvious they are on the same project only sending to the master.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they're just not actually running the project I've loaded, despite all indications to the contrary via GCC. As when I went to look at the tank this am, blues were already on and typically nothing is set to come on until 11 a.m.

I have done the same as @Pmj I set the project/schedule on the master and transmitted to the slaves. The three non-master were set to slave manually on the fixture like I said. The Master is channel 1 and the three slaves are 2-4. I set the dawn/dusk gradual on/off effect which worked last night so they are following some directions, just not all.

Maybe I'll just pop the card back in the Profilux and operate that way, I just can't seem to make it follow the right light project for the life of me.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would save the LPC to the computer, reset all the lights and re-upload it. Awesome hardware, but terrible software. Luckily I work in IT so when things like this go wrong i typically can figure it out after a bit of tinkering

EDIT: In reference to this, I have not attempted to use more than one light at a time. I will however be trying this in the hopefully near future. I will provide help if i come up with any ideas on how to do this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would save the LPC to the computer, reset all the lights and re-upload it. Awesome hardware, but terrible software. Luckily I work in IT so when things like this go wrong i typically can figure it out after a bit of tinkering
maybe I'll have to try resetting them, clean slate. Though, everything seems to be a battle with GHL equipment, I'll probably never get them on Wifi again. :)

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mtraylor I've never had to transmit the light project to each unit (I only have 2), only transmit projects to the master. I only connect to the slave to change other settings like power settings (which you would rarely do). For sure it's syncing light projects b/c I have changed it often, or done projects where only blues come on at 2% for 30 mins to do a blackout for example. It's obvious they are on the same project only sending to the master.

I totally agree with you. You normally do not have too. You can just put the data in the master and only set the offset on the slaves. I guess I should have clarified. But the issue that she is having, I have had before. Its like they go out of sync due to some interference or something and they will follow the master time settings and everything, but the spectrum will be off. You will be able to tell as I said from looking at the individual light settings.

From my experience there are 2 ways to fix the issue.
1. Power cycle the light and usually it will sync with master and be good, but you may have to do it again.
2. Upload the file to each unit and you never have to worry about it.

On either method, you will see immediately that the spectrum is fixed.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they're just not actually running the project I've loaded, despite all indications to the contrary via GCC. As when I went to look at the tank this am, blues were already on and typically nothing is set to come on until 11 a.m.

I have done the same as @Pmj I set the project/schedule on the master and transmitted to the slaves. The three non-master were set to slave manually on the fixture like I said. The Master is channel 1 and the three slaves are 2-4. I set the dawn/dusk gradual on/off effect which worked last night so they are following some directions, just not all.

Maybe I'll just pop the card back in the Profilux and operate that way, I just can't seem to make it follow the right light project for the life of me.

See my previous post. I have seen this before and wondered. Is it my eyes or is it just me. LOL. Its not your eyes. if you apply either solution I provided you should see them change to what you were used to. It usually happens when making changes. I guess there is some house interference that causes a mis sync in colors or something. Once they are synced I have never seen it happen.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my previous post. I have seen this before and wondered. Is it my eyes or is it just me. LOL. Its not your eyes. if you apply either solution I provided you should see them change to what you were used to. It usually happens when making changes. I guess there is some house interference that causes a mis sync in colors or something. Once they are synced I have never seen it happen.
You're absolutely right, I was questioning my sanity but I was CERTAIN the spectrum was off. I haven't had a chance to mess with them today but I'll see what I can do here in a little bit. Frustrating little buggers!

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I found a resolution. I re-installed the PWC card to my Profilux and immediately the fixtures started switching and running the correct project. I tried resetting all fixtures first and connecting to two of the slaves via USB and that was a no go, so back to the card.

I'm fine with that as long as it works!

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the LX6 series and I have 5 GHL Mitras 6300's over my 6ft tank.

I have 3 LX7206s over my 6ft SPS dominant tank. 24" tall and 24" front to back. Like you, my canopy height places the lights ~3-4" off the water max. I also have 2 top braces at 24" intervals. I have shading under the braces, especially in the back where corals are high. You mention your tank is 30" deep. What is your front to back, 24"? Where are your braces and how are your lights arranged.

The reason I ask, is that I am thinking of adding 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 ($$$$) more LX7s. If I didn't have the braces or only had one brace, I think 4 LX7s arranged perpendicular to tank length would be great with a 24" depth. I know it seems like overkill, but more LX7s would give me more even lightning, allow me to reduce LED intensity, reduce heat sink temps. and increase LED efficiency and life.

Sorry about the thread hijack KJoFan:), but this seemed to be the place to ask.

Thanks in Advance, mtraylor!

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 LX7206s over my 6ft SPS dominant tank. 24" tall and 24" front to back. Like you, my canopy height places the lights ~3-4" off the water max. I also have 2 top braces at 24" intervals. I have shading under the braces, especially in the back where corals are high. You mention your tank is 30" deep. What is your front to back, 24"? Where are your braces and how are your lights arranged.

The reason I ask, is that I am thinking of adding 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 ($$$$) more LX7s. If I didn't have the braces or only had one brace, I think 4 LX7s arranged perpendicular to tank length would be great with a 24" depth. I know it seems like overkill, but more LX7s would give me more even lightning, allow me to reduce LED intensity, reduce heat sink temps. and increase LED efficiency and life.

Sorry about the thread hijack KJoFan:), but this seemed to be the place to ask.

Thanks in Advance, mtraylor!

No worries at all. I’m curious at the responses you’ll get. I’m still a bit worried I’m pounding my tank with too much light. With 4 fixtures over a 5’ length and 24” depth and width running pretty high peak values.

I borrowed a par meter to check but am away on a trip right now so will have to wait to check my values.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 109 73.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back