Swollen Euphyllia torch

nyji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have been watching many topics in this forum for the past year and now I got an issue that I need some advice on.

I've gotten an euphyllia torch about 3 weeks ago, for 4 days she has been swollen.

before picture:
before1.jpg

after picture:

after1.jpg

kh 10
nitrat 7
phosphate 0,05

I had changed flow from random to steady flow. Maybe it is not enough or is it adjusting to it? Anyone got an idea what it means when a torch swells up?
Reason of flow change was that I had the heater infront of the flowpump and thought it wasn't good being blasted all the time, so I changed the position. Then the torch swole up, then I changed the pattern. The tank is about 7 months old, lps dominated with some softies+activated carbon filtration

Thank you all in advance!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,welcome to the reef ... :)
can you post pics under white light ??

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
seems to look "ok" ,they don't really like a steady flow .random is better ,also can be prissy for a few days after moving or changes, if possible post pics of open during peak lights on ...:)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hows the flesh look?

There could be various amount of reasons.

Flow definitely could be the culprit.

Any swings in parameters?

When was the last time you replaced carbon?

Do you have any leathers?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you! :)
Surely, it's an early in the morning picture
torch1.jpg
torch2.jpg
This is not turpenes from leathers or carbon issue. Two suspects are carbon and light. Not sure if you made any changes to light , but one of the biggest problems I see is failing to account for the calcium demand for these specimens. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. Also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it as you could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis.

Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm
Mag 1300-1350

Like most large polyp stony corals, torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
Torch coral is a photosynthetic coral which has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae which lives inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar and split their harvest and feed the coral. While its possible to keep a torch without any feeding at all, feeding is beneficial and I feed mine Mysis shrimp.
The best location for a torch coral is where it gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting.

OP
OP
N

nyji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for helping me! I do have one softcoral, Alcyonium verseveldti but that's it. Changed the activated carbon about a week ago, I also had a huuuge problem there! My salinity meter was off calibrated, therefore I had a huuuge spike and also lost an euphyllia hammer. But it's under control now and the torch didn't show any other signs that the swollenness that it had since February.

I did some tests:

kh 5 !!
nitrat 7
phosphate 0,06
cal 415
mag 1320
all are ppm, salinity is at 36 ppm

I now moved the torch into a little corner with less flow. Not sure why the first weeks the torch was totally okay and looked like it loved the spot and has gotten into the puffed up state :(
Could it be that I just had lost track of KH and it puffed up because of it?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thread seeing someone complain of an lps that was too puffy.

I have a question.

Why do you think this is a bad thing?

Most people want to see this. It's happy, getting light, getting flow.
If it was unhappy it would be deflated.

As long as it's not getting shredded by the flow, leave it alone.
IMHO.

OP
OP
N

nyji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thread seeing someone complain of an lps that was too puffy.

I have a question.

Why do you think this is a bad thing?

Most people want to see this. It's happy, getting light, getting flow.
If it was unhappy it would be deflated.

As long as it's not getting shredded by the flow, leave it alone.
IMHO.
I am very new to the hobby (only 1 year into it) and never heard of a torch that would be this inflated, also looks not pleasing to me... the first few weeks were perfect, I loved it! And in so many videos, when they seem to actually thrive, they don't look like this :( & I wanted to know if it is normal or not.
My other euphyllia, that is left, is very inflated as well, but I heard that's very good and normal in this instance.
euphyllia.jpg
(photo is taken from the wrong side)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very new to the hobby (only 1 year into it) and never heard of a torch that would be this inflated, also looks not pleasing to me... the first few weeks were perfect, I loved it! And in so many videos, when they seem to actually thrive, they don't look like this :( & I wanted to know if it is normal or not.
My other euphyllia, that is left, is very inflated as well, but I heard that's very good and normal in this instance.
euphyllia.jpg
(photo is taken from the wrong side)
This one to me does not look healthy.
No flesh coming off the head. Looks like it recently as been receding.
?

OP
OP
N

nyji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh! Okay, could be cause of the high salinity I had because of the off calibrated checker... Should dip it or keep an eye on it?
Thank you!!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some tips, An Alk of 5 is, as you know, no bueno. Having alk that low will definitely have an impact on the health of most corals. Secondly, not only does that torch not look healthy, it looks bleached. I agree that it has had tissue recession for sure. At 7 nitrate, im not saying that is bad by any means. But torches, hammers and frospawns LOVE dirty water. They will eat as many nitrates as you can give them, within reason of course. They arent that picky as far as lighting goes, but prefer more light to less light thats for sure. What lights are you using by chance?

OP
OP
N

nyji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some tips, An Alk of 5 is, as you know, no bueno. Having alk that low will definitely have an impact on the health of most corals. Secondly, not only does that torch not look healthy, it looks bleached. I agree that it has had tissue recession for sure. At 7 nitrate, im not saying that is bad by any means. But torches, hammers and frospawns LOVE dirty water. They will eat as many nitrates as you can give them, within reason of course. They arent that picky as far as lighting goes, but prefer more light to less light thats for sure. What lights are you using by chance?
I am using 2x AI Prime 16 HD, tank is 80x30x40 cm
I have a Lobophyllia that also bleached out and is slowly getting that color back. Not long ago I upgraded to them, maybe 2 months.
Good that I showed that second picture! Guess a lot is going wrong in my aquarium :(
I am dosing every day iodine + k+ and a- elements from tropic marin

I also forgot that I have a Clavularia!

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nyji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to keep this updated, if anyone in the future has the same problem and if I can resolve it.
Currently the torch is still upset, alkalinity is at 9 now and I will keep it at 8-9 & test every week now. I am going to change out my purigen, at it is quite old.

Added a few corals yesterday, new divisa is completely open and fully expanded. Same for the other new corals.

OP
OP
N

nyji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled upon a video where a torch was swollen like mine - he said his head is splitting. Now I took a look at mine, and I would guess there are 2 mouths? I tried to fumble & get to see if there is a second one, no success. Now I fed it and I'd say there might be a second mouth!!
The skeleton looks like 2 heads, but I know they are not. I bought it as one big head. Take a look! and yes I am desperatly trying to be optimistic :grinning-face-with-sweat:
2mouhts1.jpg
2mouhts2.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back