synergy reef overflow placement?

tankaholic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here's my setup I feel that I'm missing something or something isn't right....
From bottom of overflow box to top of bulkheads (between overflow and tank) is 5 1/4 inches..
#2pipe looks to be 3/4 of inch from bottom of overflow box
#3 pipe looks to be 1 inch from bottom of overflow box.
ER drain is 3inches from bottom of overflow box.
Now should I raise pipes 2 and 3?

PhotoGrid_1464561161268.jpg

PhotoGrid_1464561470824.jpg

20160528_173958.jpg

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, your emergency is wayyy too far under water line in sump. It should actually be ABOVE the water level so you can hear it loud and clear if it does kick on.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2 pipe is your full siphon line and you could have it much quieter if you had a gate valave on it to limit the aMOUNT OF AIR GOING IN THERE

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in the box looks good. You could benefit from adding a few unions in case you ever need to move the tank or clean out the pipes.

tankaholic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I thought something was off...
Will raise ER drain and add valve to #2 pipe. Thanks for all the help...
Now should #3 have a hole drilled in it?

tankaholic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had started another post about plumbing this overflow cause I couldn't find this thread. And someone who replied to the post said pipe 2 or 3 should have a hole drilled in it. I believe it was for it to siphon.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I have mine is the #3 (partial syphon) does have a hole in it with a piece of tubing silicone into the hole that loops around and falls back in just below the #1 (emergency drain). When you turn the pump off, then back on what happens is the number 2 is full of air and until it gets purged it cant keep up so the water rises in the overflow. So at this point you have 2 partial syphons that gurgle. once the water gets up to the tube level that you install in the hole it has another tube that is trying to create a full syphon and hence sucks more water down Once the number 2 drain purges the air out and truly becomes a full syphon the water level drops back down below the tube thus creating a partial again, and the system runs perfectly silent. If you put your drain outlets (2 and 3) just under the water level of the sump they will draw the syphon faster and be completely silent

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, when there is a "U" pipe involved the above said is true. I run straight pipes in my outer box

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you google external bean animal overflow you can kinda get an idea of what I am talking about with the tube and the hole. It works great and is basically about as failsafe as you can get. and no John its not for a U pipe, its just a little more precaution in a overflow. If your first (main syphon) ever clogs then the second will turn into a full syphon. but when its operating normally the second is a partial syphon that lets in a lot of air which eliminates the gurgling because its not trying to force air out. it just keeps at balance between air and water

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you google external bean animal overflow you can kinda get an idea of what I am talking about with the tube and the hole. It works great and is basically about as failsafe as you can get. and no John its not for a U pipe, its just a little more precaution in a overflow. If your first (main syphon) ever clogs then the second will turn into a full syphon. but when its operating normally the second is a partial syphon that lets in a lot of air which eliminates the gurgling because its not trying to force air out. it just keeps at balance between air and water
are you saying a durso style with a tube attached where the hole is?

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah for pipe number 3. it basically is a durso until the water rises enough to block the tube then it becomes a full syphon

tankaholic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm I have no clue what i'm doing here...lol I've used a hang on back filter for the last yr.
that's why i'm trying to dry fit everything before I glue it. Hopefully gonna work on it tonight...
I need to get out of my leaking 20 gallon tank...

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm I have no clue what i'm doing here...lol I've used a hang on back filter for the last yr.
that's why i'm trying to dry fit everything before I glue it. Hopefully gonna work on it tonight...
I need to get out of my leaking 20 gallon tank...
I've been there brotha. You made a good choice with this overflow. That tells me you've done your homework. And you're asking questions and absorbing the advice. It takes time, but you'll get there!

tankaholic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not brotha more like sista...lol
Anyways last question I think... do I glue the white pvc pipe in the blackhead? the pink circles...do I glue those white pipes to the
bulkheads as dry fitted in?
Other pic is the back of tank with plumbing and return lines....

20160602_220337.jpg

PhotoGrid_1464931465793.jpg

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright my sista from anotha mista! Yeah glue everything outside of the box when you're all done. It looks good! Don't glue the drain pipes inside the box. Last, for pipes 2 and 3, thery should only be under the water about an inch.

tankaholic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heheheh I wasn't planning on glueing anything inside the overflow box. Wasn't sure if you glued #2 & #3 pipes into the bulkheads
on outside of overflow...I'll be hopefully wrapping up all the plumbing tonight. Going today to pick up a couple 7in socket filters.
And then for the moment Ive been waiting for...hopefully will fill it with water and test for leaks.
Hopefully I don't flood my floor once I turn power on...lol

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes glue pvc to bulkheads on outside of box 1, 2, and 3. If possible set up the tank in a garage or outside to leak test. I had 2 leaks on mine when i leak tested. Make sure to wait an hour from the last piece of pvc being glued before running you test so the glue can cure

tankaholic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the option to leak test else where. I will have towels and mop ready. lol
So after we get home from dinner I'm finishing this and in the morning I will add the water and see if we have any leaks.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add water directly into the outer box. That way if there is a leak it will only leak about a half gallon max. If that passes, then I would fill up the sump and tank and rock N roll! Then you owe us some pics of your set up from the front :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back