OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut my acrylic pieces cut today for the new and improved sump . I got nice straight clean cuts thanks to my friend Chuck who works a table saw a lot better than I do!. I was using an old wetdry and it's too narrow for my skimmer. It will take a while for me to put it all together and leak test. Here is an interesting fact for Ya. This old acrylic came from a sun room or such. it had latex paint around the edges. I tried scraping, then sanding. Then I tried pickling lime thinking it might dissolve the paint. That was a no deal. so I tried vinegar , It took the paint right off!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the 45 degree cut , is the entire 45 degree angle submerged or is the short side of the cut out of water?

uppermost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a short video my my system running with this overflow Watch “System running” on Vimeo:

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did I just hear a pin drop? what size DT and do you know your durso pipe heights in your box?

uppermost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did I just hear a pin drop? what size DT and do you know your durso pipe heights in your box?
I did the secondary siphon about 3/4" above the primary and for the emergency I made sure was above the secondary. Tank dimensions are a 65 rimless 36" length by 20" front to back

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason the weir is not attached on the inside of the tank?

uppermost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason the weir is not attached on the inside of the tank?
I just left it off because I didn't want it to fall into the tank while doing a test run and making adjustments. I can measure the primary pipe tommorow if you'd like. I would say it's probably an inch. But I can measure it for you

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would appreciate that info man. Mine is going on a 72, so we are pretty close as far as flow demand goes. Let me know the distance from the top of the bulkhead to the top of the U for the full syphon if you don't mind. I'm just trying to save some trial and error time. This weekend I have to reseal my tank, plumb it. paint the back glass, and aquascape it if I want it wet by the beginning of the work week. Any and all info to speed up the plumbing process will be greatly appreciated.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was I supposed to flip the bulkheads around in the outside box? I got plumb happy and didn't check to see how the bulkheads and gaskets were oriented. They had the gaskets on the dry side. My box is leaking BAD. Guess I need to buy new bulkheads and 3 couplings to get things in order. I feel so dumb...

IMG_8620.JPG

IMG_8621.JPG

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not alone. See my build thread - same mistake. They ship that way to save space I think. But makes perfect sense to flip them and even the instructions show them the correct way. I'm kicking myself too!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not alone. See my build thread - same mistake. They ship that way to save space I think. But makes perfect sense to flip them and even the instructions show them the correct way. I'm kicking myself too!
this makes me feel better. My fiance just yelled out, "y'all both probably didn't read the instructions!" (guilty) :rolleyes:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back