T5 being phased out?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gubment coming for ur t5 bulbs, beta switch to led!!!!!!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be but all T12 and T8 reef lighting is unavailable now from the major distributors in line with this regulation.
Uh cos t12 and 8 are obsolete in the reefing world and have been for a longggggg time.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see my previous response? "I have not seen the lumen specs for the ATI Blue Plus but their own response seems to indicate they meet the minimum govt. requirements. "

Who the blanity blank cares, move on. If your worried go call the police and get ati arrested, lolz

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people who have been in the hobby for a long time and don’t have a strong forum presence. The spectrum and output of them is quite pleasant
The T12 super actinic VHO's were the best to offset MH.... I didn't know they still sold them but I fould a few through google search

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people still use T12 VHOs? Twice as powerful with twice the output of T5 and the bulbs last longer... so you can use half as many and change them less often. They did not have good reflectors so they were seen as less efficient, but on good parabolic reflectors, they are the same PAR as a pair of T5 bulbs. The reflectors end up being like 3.5 to 4 inches. T5s also came in fixtures that were sleek and stylish and VHOs were most retrofits. Even though most people who still use them have tried other things, you will have to pry their VHOs out of their cold dead hands because they have seen what they can do. Dare I say that a 4x VHO setup with good reflectors would kill and bury a pair of Radions or Hydras over a typical tank? ...it would not even be close.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the size of t12s was mostly the downfall of them. Light manufacturers went with t5 which was easier to work with. This is going so far back in time i am trying to remember if t5 always had a better selection of marine lights.

Another guess would be that european influence that pops up so often.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are lying to you to get you to buy a new light from them... or they are incompetent. People have been promising the demise of fluorescent lighting for more than a decade, but you can bet if UVL has enough business still to make VHOs for hobbyist use, then T5s are in no danger at all.

More like two decades; power compacts were going to make them obsolete first LOL. Loved my Icecap 660 with 4xT12 setup.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
URI super actinic 110w T12 VHO tubes were great supplements to halides. I even ran a super actinic and a 50/50 VHO over 33gal longs as frag tanks, grew SPS just fine.
Is Ultraviolet Resources International still around though or is it only uvl ?

I have used icecap VHO ballasts to overdrive T5s before but you need to change bulbs every 4mo and keep fans on the end of bulbs .

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like two decades; power compacts were going to make them obsolete first LOL. Loved my Icecap 660 with 4xT12 setup.
haha, I still have the Icecap 660's, and 430's buried in a box somewhere. Cutting 2.5" sch40 in half and lining the inside with aluminum tape to make reflectors... ohh, how we've come a long way.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back