T5 Hybrid question

creaturenex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking to start a 75 gallon mixed reef tank(Aqueon). I got a ATI 48" 6 bulb fixture for free. Went with coral plus, blue plus and actinic. Wife and I want the color pop and shimmer from led's. What are your recommendations? The plan is to put the lights inside a custom housing to hide the power cords and not hang it from the ceiling. I guess I want the growth from the T5 and the color from the leds.

Reef Brite XHO LED 2 or 3?
Orphek OR3 120 2 or 3?
AI Prime 16HD x3
Nicrew Reef 100w (Amazon) equivalent to AI Hydra 26HD x 3

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbrite XHO 48" x 2 is the natural matchup to an ATI fixture IMO.

I have always been in the fence to put a second one. Is their a really benefit getting one in the back of the tank if the Corals are basically near the back wall?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been in the fence to put a second one. Is their a really benefit getting one in the back of the tank if the Corals are basically near the back wall?
Only if you need more light. Most times this is a grow out tank that are usually peninsula. One thing in a standard setup is if your light is high up the rear one can suddenly be a blinding blue thing to observers of the tank unless you aim it straight down, so in your case, as you said, one in the front is likely the best
Do the reefbrite provide shimmer? IME, the Kessil provides the best shimmer, but at a cost. And I'm not positive how to work it in with a full T5 fixture. So I definitely get the reefbrite suggestion.

Yes but not like a kessil. There is multi points on the XHO that do catch water ripples and thus shimmer. They do however provide the immensely satisfying royal blue coral pop. All that said, I think they are a little overpriced for what they are and if you want dusk/dawn dimming you have to buy another expensive add-on.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if you need more light. Most times this is a grow out tank that are usually peninsula. One thing in a standard setup is if your light is high up the rear one can suddenly be a blinding blue thing to observers of the tank unless you aim it straight down, so in your case, as you said, one in the front is likely the best
@shwareefer ...Thanks for the insight. Seems reasonable.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back