T5 life anecdote.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One anecdote does not a truism make . . . however . . . I thought I'd share this interesting tidbit. Due to various reasons the primary one being utter laziness as regards my reef over the last 2 years I installed new T5s on April 18th 2021 and just yesterday changed all 16 lamps. I'd say my reef and the corals inside did just fine under old T5s bringing into sharp question the need to change lamps every six months. Personally I am going to try and change them out annually now.

reef.8.23.jpg
IMG_2501.JPG

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One anecdote does not a truism make . . . however . . . I thought I'd share this interesting tidbit. Due to various reasons the primary one being utter laziness as regards my reef over the last 2 years I installed new T5s on April 18th 2021 and just yesterday changed all 16 lamps. I'd say my reef and the corals inside did just fine under old T5s bringing into sharp question the need to change lamps every six months. Personally I am going to try and change them out annually now.

reef.8.23.jpg
IMG_2501.JPG
The corals look big and healthy!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reef.8.23.jpg
IMG_2501.JPG
Just change them every 12 months. The spectrum and intensity degrade in a year. It will depend on how many hours a day you have your photoperiod set. Changing every year will keep those qualities in check and it will be easier do adapt the system to the new bulbs. I don't care if BRS did video talking about 18 months. My experiences with T5s show that 12 should be the line for the changes to achieve the optimal out of those tubes for a normal photoperiod of like 9 to 12 hours a day.

Last edited:

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you ran halides. Did you make the switch to T5s? I remember your tank from reef central back in the day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back