Tang id

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a two spot aka blue eye kole tang? (Ctenochaetus binotatus)
More importantly, could it be something else? Rather not have a surprise if I take it home.

1610746020451.png

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think its a 2 spot bristle tooth

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool... Thanks. I know tangs should be in 3s or more but what are the chances of a Kole and a Yellow tolerating each other in a 120+ if added together...?

Based on my research it should be better than 50% chance. I'll QT them separately.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 180-gal. or even a 150-gal. would probably be a whole lot better. Are you at least 5' long on your 120 in case they need to get away from one another? And do you have a Plan B for one of them if there is major trouble? Are they fairly close in size? Let us know how it turns out of you try it. Best wishes. :)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a yellow and kole for years with no issues. The kole was full grown and in the tank years prior to adding the yellow full grown. Maybe I was lucky. I currently have two yellow and one kole with no issues (been only 5 months).

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a 220 or 360 would be even better.

However, it's 4.5ft ... WB170. Plan B would obviously re-home/return one as they are coming from a LFS that I have a relationship with.

My thought was they are different color and genus so chances are good. I'm on board with the 3x theory, but adding a third (like a purple) might be cramped when grown out and I won't be upsizing the tank.

We shall see. I fully QT livestock so at least stress induced disease shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, a week into copper power 2.25 w/metro and they are doing well.

I used an egg crate barrier in the 20 long for a few days and now they are sharing the whole space. There was some minor squabbling, mostly the yellow being uneasy.

Both eating frozen and taking nori from a clip. The nori is stinking/clouding the water up so I guess I’ll have to institute more water changes...

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a 220 or 360 would be even better.

However, it's 4.5ft ... WB170. Plan B would obviously re-home/return one as they are coming from a LFS that I have a relationship with.

My thought was they are different color and genus so chances are good. I'm on board with the 3x theory, but adding a third (like a purple) might be cramped when grown out and I won't be upsizing the tank.

We shall see. I fully QT livestock so at least stress induced disease shouldn't be an issue.

Curious how the two tangs have been doing in your tank? I'm looking at a similar pairing of a bristletooth and a YT in my 80g lagoon, which has a similar footprint to yours, but is not as tall. If that's gonna be too tight, then I'll stick with just the yellow.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately lost the yellow tang mysteriously during QT (the two spot was totally fine). About a month later I got a purple tang as a 2-3" baby. The two spot didn't care much about the purple when introduced. They were actually fine with one another for quite sometime, just general territorial nonsense about food. The purple has grown real fast (5") and has been a general bully to all the fish, especially to my butterflies. He would just constantly take a run at any fish around him. I actually removed the purple last week, having had him roughly 6mo. Everyone is back out and less stressed with him gone. It was a colossal pita to get him out too; almost lost a wrasse to a jump (landed behind tank) as a result of the kerfuffle.

I think it depends greatly on the individual fish given my experience. I would anticipate the yellow being dominant, but who knows. With a shorter tank and probably an open rockscape I would have concerns. The yellow/purple take up a lot of territory and having enough caves for sleeping and such is a hardship in smaller tanks.

If I could reasonably find a yellow I might try again but getting a tiny Biota doesn't make sense for me right now.

I will miss the purple, but in the end he wasn't my favorite fish. Personality is one-dimensional. The two spot is much more interesting despite the muted coloration. My next stunt may be to try another bristletooth, such as a white tail, but I fear that wouldn't work. At one point I had a mirror mounted trying to distract the purple for capture and the two spot was quite aggravated by its reflection.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately lost the yellow tang mysteriously during QT (the two spot was totally fine). About a month later I got a purple tang as a 2-3" baby. The two spot didn't care much about the purple when introduced. They were actually fine with one another for quite sometime, just general territorial nonsense about food. The purple has grown real fast (5") and has been a general bully to all the fish, especially to my butterflies. He would just constantly take a run at any fish around him. I actually removed the purple last week, having had him roughly 6mo. Everyone is back out and less stressed with him gone. It was a colossal pita to get him out too; almost lost a wrasse to a jump (landed behind tank) as a result of the kerfuffle.

I think it depends greatly on the individual fish given my experience. I would anticipate the yellow being dominant, but who knows. With a shorter tank and probably an open rockscape I would have concerns. The yellow/purple take up a lot of territory and having enough caves for sleeping and such is a hardship in smaller tanks.

If I could reasonably find a yellow I might try again but getting a tiny Biota doesn't make sense for me right now.

I will miss the purple, but in the end he wasn't my favorite fish. Personality is one-dimensional. The two spot is much more interesting despite the muted coloration. My next stunt may be to try another bristletooth, such as a white tail, but I fear that wouldn't work. At one point I had a mirror mounted trying to distract the purple for capture and the two spot was quite aggravated by its reflection.
Thanks for all of the info, very helpful!

I’m curious what you mean about the personality being very one-dimensional for the purple? Just always looking to pick fights and show he’s the boss?

Also, do you have any photos of your two-spot? I’d love to see it.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple was just boring I guess. Isn’t inquisitive, or playful, didn’t do anything other than go back and forth. He swam around looking for food despite being as wide as my thumb. Constantly doing little bursts of harassment towards everyone. I get the allure to tangs because they are impressive looking, and a group of yellows swimming together in a reef is stunning, but the solo playground jerk act wasn’t appealing.

Hard to explain. I have fairy flasher and leopard wrasses, Midas blennys, a CBB, pair of mandarins, jawfish, shrimp gobies, and a host of interesting inverts that all have some sort of enjoyable routine. The purple didn’t/doesn’t (he’s still with me in a QT tank awaiting pick up).

I just took a couple shots of the two spot (aka blue eyed). Some afternoon sun is spilling into the tank so it’s a bit weird lighting for sure. He presents brown but really has orange highlights and faint stripes, a yellow tail, and blue ring eyes. Has a comical way about his movements, plucks away at the glass and rocks constantly and has stayed on the smaller size. I wanted a yellow eye kole but was post-ban when looking. I suspect they are very similar in personality.

BF60F2E0-52D3-4A25-96C0-993DC0275467.jpeg
276EBE57-1F23-493F-93C5-5C5EA4D6FA6C.jpeg
51BF1850-C186-473F-B4B2-A2C6C0D50AED.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool... Thanks. I know tangs should be in 3s or more but what are the chances of a Kole and a Yellow tolerating each other in a 120+ if added together...?

Based on my research it should be better than 50% chance. I'll QT them separately.
There's a very high and likelihood those two would be completely fine with each other in that size tank. I have five medium sized tangs in a 120.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and he was cheap! $45? I think? Maybe only 40.

Purple was 4X that

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a very high and likelihood those two would be completely fine with each other in that size tank. I have five medium sized tangs in a 120.

Yeah, FYI the original post was back in January. Things have progressed. They were ok; see above.

5!?!?! I can’t imagine that in my set up. Maybe if I had more rock work. What species do you have? I want to try another bristletooth.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple was just boring I guess. Isn’t inquisitive, or playful, didn’t do anything other than go back and forth. He swam around looking for food despite being as wide as my thumb. Constantly doing little bursts of harassment towards everyone. I get the allure to tangs because they are impressive looking, and a group of yellows swimming together in a reef is stunning, but the solo playground jerk act wasn’t appealing.

Hard to explain. I have fairy flasher and leopard wrasses, Midas blennys, a CBB, pair of mandarins, jawfish, shrimp gobies, and a host of interesting inverts that all have some sort of enjoyable routine. The purple didn’t/doesn’t (he’s still with me in a QT tank awaiting pick up).

I just took a couple shots of the two spot (aka blue eyed). Some afternoon sun is spilling into the tank so it’s a bit weird lighting for sure. He presents brown but really has orange highlights and faint stripes, a yellow tail, and blue ring eyes. Has a comical way about his movements, plucks away at the glass and rocks constantly and has stayed on the smaller size. I wanted a yellow eye kole but was post-ban when looking. I suspect they are very similar in personality.

Beautiful tank! Love the natural light :)

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He’s gorgeous, thanks for taking the photos! On my short list for sure. Just have to decide if it’s worth trying to get a little bristletooth to grow up with the baby yellow I’m gonna get and see if they become best mates or hate each other.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, FYI the original post was back in January. Things have progressed. They were ok; see above.

5!?!?! I can’t imagine that in my set up. Maybe if I had more rock work. What species do you have? I want to try another bristletooth.
I do have quite a bit of rock for sure. Had YT, YE kole, Tomini, purple, and Desjardini.

I was stupid at the time and didn't quarantine. I lost all but one of those fish in 18 hours earlier this year.

I've upgraded tanks and am currently rebuilding the gang. On deck In QT i have

Vlamingi-, WT Bristletooth, gem, scopas, and Desjardini + one spot FF which I think gets an honorable mention into the Tang gang. Still looking for an Orange Shoulder juvenile.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back