Tang Issues

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just finished the treatment cycle and decided to get 2 new fish for the tank; juvenile Emperor and a long nose butterfly. My yellow tang was terrorizing the butterfly to the point that I put the butterfly in the sump. I added a mirror but the tang is not interested. Any thoughts on how I can reintroduce this beautiful fish without my tang killing it? Funny part is the tang was the most docile in the group, and the only one upset by the additions. Also, I fed the tank before and after adding the fish, and lights are out.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs don’t like similar sized and shaped fish. You ideally add the less aggressive fish first. Long nose and angel is just more competition for food to a tang. There are tons of threads on this. You either acclamation box fish, mirrors, rearranged rock work.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs don’t like similar sized and shaped fish. You ideally add the less aggressive fish first. Long nose and angel is just more competition for food to a tang. There are tons of threads on this. You either acclamation box fish, mirrors, rearranged rock work.
Yes, knew this was going to be a challenge. I had an outbreak that I just finished treating where I lost 2 fish and the tank seemed empty with only 4 fish. One of those things in the hobby, I had a stocking plan, just didn't plan on the ich and losses. If I can catch it, I'd sell the tang. Great fish, but making me mad at the moment. LOL

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is catching the Tang and removing him long enough for the others to establish an option?
I was trying for a bit today, but he's fast and know the tank well. The butterfly was getting picked on so much he was an easy catch, so I did that for now, just to possibly have options later. How long does it generally take if I can catch him?

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a semi aggressive YT. you could either add fish in a acclimation box for a few weeks, or add enough fish where the aggression is spread around and add a mirror.

I added 3 tangs, 1 butterfly, and a angel after my YT was in my DT for 2yrs. I put up a mirror, and after a few days all the aggression was gone. There is no issue with the YT, the only thing he will do is keep the PBT in check who is a bit of a rascal. Thats been 6months.

On a second issue i had with very aggressive clowns. When i added these fish the female clown really picked on the angel i added to a point it was almost fatal. I placed both clowns in a acclimation box for nearly 8weeks. after i let them out, there was all these new fish as stated above and now they bother no one. It was a complete change in personality.
hope this helps

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a semi aggressive YT. you could either add fish in a acclimation box for a few weeks, or add enough fish where the aggression is spread around and add a mirror.

I added 3 tangs, 1 butterfly, and a angel after my YT was in my DT for 2yrs. I put up a mirror, and after a few days all the aggression was gone. There is no issue with the YT, the only thing he will do is keep the PBT in check who is a bit of a rascal. Thats been 6months.

On a second issue i had with very aggressive clowns. When i added these fish the female clown really picked on the angel i added to a point it was almost fatal. I placed both clowns in a acclimation box for nearly 8weeks. after i let them out, there was all these new fish as stated above and now they bother no one. It was a complete change in personality.
hope this helps
Thank you. Yes, it does. The YT had no interest in the mirror while the butterfly was in the DT, but now does. The butterfly seems happy (happier) in the sump at the moment, but that's not a long term solution, obviously. We're going to get a RedSea Reefer 350 soon, but not in enough time. I may buy a holding tank in the interim for the YT if I can catch him. The fish are giving the EA a bit of a hard time, but nothing like the butterfly. They're just backing into him, I assume establishing their territory, but no nipping.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back