Tang order?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an approx. 2.5" hippo tang in 280 gallon w/ no other tangs. Other fish include bicolor and flame angels, copperband, gramma, maroon clown pair. Wanting to add a powder brown at some point. Trying to decide if I want to add a larger powder brown now or wait a few years and let the hippo grow and then add a smaller powder brown. Opinions?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an approx. 2.5" hippo tang in 280 gallon w/ no other tangs. Other fish include bicolor and flame angels, copperband, gramma, maroon clown pair. Wanting to add a powder brown at some point. Trying to decide if I want to add a larger powder brown now or wait a few years and let the hippo grow and then add a smaller powder brown. Opinions?
Giving that you have a large tank, it shouldn’t be a problem if the hippo was added a while ago and healthy. I had used the mirror trick and just literally did the trick again, so far so good

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I had a blue tang that grew quickly, maybe in 4 months it doubled in size, so I think that soon fish that grow fast, it is possible that the only thing you have to worry about is an aggression of the PBRW towards the blue tang. I would wait 3 or 4 months and buy a PBWR of the smallest size that can be, after the quarantine enter it into the DT and wait to see how it behaves with a blue tang already of good size.

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving that you have a large tank, it shouldn’t be a problem if the hippo was added a while ago and healthy. I had used the mirror trick and just literally did the trick again, so far so good
The hippo has been in for over a year and healthy. I had a powder brown at one time but had trouble with an aggressive yellow tang I've since rehomed but the PB was pretty mellow. Thats why I'm hoping these two would get along. Was thinking smaller pb would be best.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue or powder brown are aggressive fish among the same species, so choose the one you want. You may have had a calmer powder blue than the others, but this depends on the individual character of each fish.

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue or powder brown are aggressive fish among the same species, so choose the one you want. You may have had a calmer powder blue than the others, but this depends on the individual character of each fishMi
I had a brown not blue. Browns are not nearly as aggressive from what I've read.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I mistook the abbreviation PB for Powder Blue. The Powder Brown are sometimes more aggressive, again, it depends on the individual character of the fish, but in their case I would opt for a fish smaller than the blue tang, this way you can have an advantage of at least "intimidation" of size.

Back