Tang Skin Damage

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again - I'm sure you guys will be sick of me in this forum soon enough .... :rolleyes:

My fish finished their copper treatment and I moved them to a clean tank for observation. Everyone is healthy and happy except for the tang who has been scratching badly for 24-48 hours.

I noticed yesterday the Tang had black splotches on him. I continued to monitor him through the day and by yesterday evening, he was starting to act strange (lethargic, swimming up by the surface more than usual, not eating). I feared the worst and suspected Velvet but he didn't have any spots on him aside from the black marks.

I performed a freshwater dip and within seconds of putting him in TONS of flukes started pouring off him. I kept him in for ~5 minutes and the spot on his side changed from black to white. I got him out of the freshwater and moved him back into some salt water with an aerator while I re-setup my QT. I dropped some tiny bits of Mysis into the box and he ate immediately so I know the flukes were really bothering him (plus his color looked way more vibrant immediately).

I got the QT set back up (40 breeder which I only filled ~25 gallons of). I added a powerhead, spong filter rated for 40 gallons, soaked in Dr. Tims and an air stone. The 25 gallons is all freshly mixed water. I got everything up to temperature and moved the tang over out of the little holding pen and into the QT. I immediately dosed with Prazi to ensure i'm killing any other flukes on him.

This morning I got up and the tang is swimming around and his color looks great, but this spot where the flukes were attached is blotchy and white. I couldn't get him to eat, but I know that's not uncommon in the prazi. Does this ever heal / go away? I do have Furan-2 + RubyRally on hand. I was thinking about doing some antifungals / anti-bacterial once the prazi is done in 4-5 days. Anybody ever seen anything like this before? Sorry about the poor shot - took this on my iphone. Will try to get the camera out later and get some better ones.

Tang Skin Damage.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks bacterial
Focus on water quality and diet
If there were that many flukes, consider another FW dip to assure there is no presence of them

OP
OP
B

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, these little tangs are so sensitive / finnicky. This guy is about ~2".

He's not scratching at all in the QT. Energy is definitely low, but his color looks way better than it did. I will likely do another dip, but given I just did one ~12 hours ago, I think i'm going to wait a bit.

With the prazi, I was planning to let this sit for 4-5 days, do a 25% water change, and then either re-dose OR start on some sort of antibacterial. Any thoughts on that plan?

OP
OP
B

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortuntately, just lost this guy. I guess I waited too long and the flukes were too severe for him to overcome. He lasted ~36 hours in the QT with the prazi before going belly up

I've been having a really tough time with these hippos in general. Not sure if it's just me, but it seems like they are incredibly difficult to keep, let alone get through a proper QT...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortuntately, just lost this guy. I guess I waited too long and the flukes were too severe for him to overcome. He lasted ~36 hours in the QT with the prazi before going belly up

I've been having a really tough time with these hippos in general. Not sure if it's just me, but it seems like they are incredibly difficult to keep, let alone get through a proper QT...
Drreefsquarantinedfish.com

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back