Tang Tally: How many Tangs can I keep in my tank?

How many Tangs can I keep in my tank?

• No more than one, unless it is a large tank.

Votes: 64 20.2%
  • No more than one of each species.

Votes: 40 12.6%
  • No more than two or three if they are different species.

Votes: 45 14.2%
  • How many will fit?

Votes: 122 38.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 14.5%

• Total voters

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice on stocking from the experts. It's about time to rehome my growing tang gang to their new 240 gallon home (96x24x24).

(2) Juvenile Purple 2" (I moved them from quarantine to the 240G a few weeks ago)

PBT 5" - he's currently alone, however got along fine with a yellow that unfortunately passed unexpectedly in early May. He's only shown aggression to a copper band which I removed immediately.

These are living together no issues:
Achilles 4"
Tomini 3"
Foxface 5"
Flame Angel 4"
(2) Davinci Clowns (Paired)

Assorted small fish may or may not move, (6 line, dotty back, filefish, etc). Most will go into tank where the PBT is now.

Best to move all at the same time or order of aggression and what order?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking for advice on stocking from the experts. It's about time to rehome my growing tang gang to their new 240 gallon home (96x24x24).

(2) Juvenile Purple 2" (I moved them from quarantine to the 240G a few weeks ago)

PBT 5" - he's currently alone, however got along fine with a yellow that unfortunately passed unexpectedly in early May. He's only shown aggression to a copper band which I removed immediately.

Achilles 4"
Tomini 3"
Foxface 5"
Flame Angel 4"

Assorted small fish may or may not move, (6 line, dotty back, filefish, etc). Most will go into tank where the PBT is now.

Thanks in advance.
Purple may be an issue with introduction for the others up front and should calm down thereafter

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Achilles 4"
Tomini 3"
Foxface 5"
Flame Angel 4"

Thanks in advance.
I would do all in at a go, given its a new environment, every fish is busy adapting, no one is taking attendance of who's who.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as were on the subject, would a convict and a bristle tooth get along in a 120 gallon?
Anecdotally, will be OK. I've got 7 tangs in my 120G, there's the occasional bickering, but nothing more than horseplay. I would attribute that to the intensity of the fishes resulting to the sheer proximity to each other, thus minimises an individual of being constantly harassed. Similarly to my Anthias, they will only chase each other during feeding, but pretty much grouping together other wise.

Last edited:

garyd12503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally, will be OK. I've got 7 tangs in my 120G, there's the occasional bickering, but nothing more than horseplay. I would attribute that to the intensity of the fishes resulting to the sheer proximity to each other, thus minimises an individual to be constantly harassed. Similarly to my Anthias, they will only chase each other during feeding, but pretty much grouping together other wise.
Thanks for the info

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this a good QT protocol for 2-3" tangs?

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As many know, I have 25 tangs and I stocked them in order of temperament and the plan has worked. Do they squabble occasionally- Of course they do but they never strike each other or cause injury. I have no secret to having so many other than maintaining good water quality and best diet possible.
Those who have seen my tank in person say the tank is well balanced with fish and the behavior is unbelievable with over 40 fish in the tank.

1686582401154.png
1686582436263.png
1686582460333.png
What's your actual tang list?
Also, what would you say is commonly the most aggressive species?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back