Tang Tank Size

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to keep a kole yellow eye tang in my larger tank (100 gallons) but some of the other tangs in there are large so I don’t want it to get picked on. The kole tang is about 1 inch at my LFS. I wanted to know if I could keep it short term in my 2ft, 35 gallon tank.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How short is short term? If you are waiting for it to grow bigger, then I do not think it would work

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh, a tang/tank size question!
tenor (11).gif

If it's that small and a Kole, i'm sure he'd be fine in a 2ft tank short term... Is the goal to mature him in the small tank before introducing into the larger? If that were the case, I would just source a larger more mature Kole. Koles are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Minimum 55 gal, preferably 90g

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to keep a kole yellow eye tang in my larger tank (100 gallons) but some of the other tangs in there are large so I don’t want it to get picked on. The kole tang is about 1 inch at my LFS. I wanted to know if I could keep it short term in my 2ft, 35 gallon tank.
He’s small, I’d put him in the 100 an keep watch.
Mixing is usually a hit or miss situation anyways.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh, a tang/tank size question!
tenor (11).gif

If it's that small and a Kole, i'm sure he'd be fine in a 2ft tank short term... Is the goal to mature him in the small tank before introducing into the larger? If that were the case, I would just source a larger more mature Kole. Koles are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
I’ve ordered a couple mature kole tangs from various sites and none have them have come home alive which is terrible so that’s why I want to just get it at my LFS. What’s the longest I should keep it in there for?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can absolutely do that. I have a 2’ QT/grow out tank that I have used many times for tiny specimens ..... including a vlamingi tang that came to me at 3/4” LOL.

Kole availability will be affected by the Hawaii collecting ban so get it while you still can.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can absolutely do that. I have a 2’ QT/grow out tank that I have used many times for tiny specimens ..... including a vlamingi tang that came to me at 3/4” LOL.

Kole availability will be affected by the Hawaii collecting ban so get it while you still can.
How long did you keep him in there to grow out? & 3/4” is miniature ahah!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue tang in my 55g right now. I’ve had it since it was the size of a quarter. Now it’s 2 1/2”. I’m upgrading to a 100g next month but dory is going to a new home. Even if the 100 could keep it happy for another year, I’d much rather just have one tang in that new tank that’s suited to it at adult size and have the blue tang go to a much larger and more appropriate system. If stress is even the slightest concern, it’s time to go way bigger on the upgrade or change up the livestock to match the tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you keep him in there to grow out? & 3/4” is miniature ahah!

yeah, I saw it at the LFS and made me laugh out loud! Vlamingi grows huge, but this was the tiniest I’d ever seen. Wasn’t even sure that it was a vlamingi. Kept it in my QT for almost six months until it got to about 3 inches.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue tang in my 55g right now. I’ve had it since it was the size of a quarter. Now it’s 2 1/2”. I’m upgrading to a 100g next month but dory is going to a new home. Even if the 100 could keep it happy for another year, I’d much rather just have one tang in that new tank that’s suited to it at adult size and have the blue tang go to a much larger and more appropriate system. If stress is even the slightest concern, it’s time to go way bigger on the upgrade or change up the livestock to match the tank.
that’s sort of the plan here, glad to know i’m not the only naughty reefer thinking about tangs in small tanks!

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I saw it at the LFS and made me laugh out loud! Vlamingi grows huge, but this was the tiniest I’d ever seen. Wasn’t even sure that it was a vlamingi. Kept it in my QT for almost six months until it got to about 3 inches.
Yeah i thought it might be the same thing as a QT so i think i’ll do that. Just want to beef him up! thank you!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s sort of the plan here, glad to know i’m not the only naughty reefer thinking about tangs in small tanks!
I think everyone here, including the tang police have kept fish in a less than ideal environment. Even a 500g is infinitesimally small when compared to the ocean and most tangs can reach the boundaries of pretty much any hobbyist’s tank in second or two. ANY tank is too small for a tang.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone here, including the tang police have kept fish in a less than ideal environment. Even a 500g is infinitesimally small when compared to the ocean and most tangs can reach the boundaries of pretty much any hobbyist’s tank in second or two. ANY tank is too small for a tang.
That’s exactly why i tagged the tang police because I wanted to see what their reactions would be even though yes; tangs really shouldn’t be kept in any tank but as long as we provide them with a safe and healthy home, they will be just fine! thank you again!

Back