Tangs and Angels compatibility

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the compatibility like between Tangs and Angels? The only Tang in question is a Biota CB Yellow Tang, which are starting to become available here in Asia. However, I would really like my tank to be built around a pair of large angels (Regal, Blue Line, or Black Velvet) and a harem of dwarfs. Perhaps a tank in the 300 range would be still too small for the large angels to spawn, but I am quite certain that given time and good care the dwarfs will spawn.

Since angels for the most part aren’t as feisty as Tangs, I would like to know whether it’s a good idea to add a CB Yellow Tang if my tank’s being built around the angels.

My concerns are:
1. That another “large” fish, plus being a herbivore (inefficient digestive tract), means added bioload when I don’t want my tank to be heavily stocked / don’t want too much maintenance.

2. That the Yellow won’t exactly be a “peaceful” fish, plus its size means I have concerns that it will bully either the large angel pair or one or more of the dwarf angel harem, and I prize the angels very much.

3. That if it gets aggressive, it will disrupt the pair (for the large) and harem (for the dwarf) dynamics, especially when it comes to bonding and eventually spawning (for the dwarfs, at least).

4. That the more linear and fast paced swimming style of the Tang will stress out the more zig-zag and managed swimming style of the angels, thus leading them to adapt more slowly or not adapt at all.

It’s a nice looking Tang (as someone who’s not a very big fan of them) and an icon of the hobby, plus it’s awesome that it’s being captive bred, but I don’t want my angels to be affected by the presence of it if it’s going to cause trouble.

Perhaps my concerns are overstated and there are more aggressive kinds of Tangs out there, but yeah I would like to get my angels comfortable as much as possible.

Other than the large angel pair and maybe a CB Yellow, I have no plans for any other large fish.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not, but in my 160-gallon system I have a sailfin tang, quoy parrotfish, coral beauty and midnight dwarf angels and a lamarck's angel.

The parrotfish has established itself as the alpha in the tank, but all the aforementioned fish get along great without any issues. I also briefly had a naso tang in the mix and there were no issues with it, either.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a yellow tang amongst about 6 angels without any issues in my S650 (150g) but of course it depends on the individuals

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All helpful. My concern is the Yellow Tang even if started small will get near its maximum size and start causing trouble. Also the fact that its use of space essentially reduces the space for the 5 angels. (2 large and 3 dwarf- pair and trio)

How active are they, in your experience, compared to the angels?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All helpful. My concern is the Yellow Tang even if started small will get near its maximum size and start causing trouble. Also the fact that its use of space essentially reduces the space for the 5 angels. (2 large and 3 dwarf- pair and trio)
I don't have a yellow tang to offer an opinion, as they are stupid expensive right now ($500 for a juvenile Hawaiian yellow tang or $250 for one of the very small captive bred yellow tangs).

The only fish that needed to "work it out" were the pair of dwarf angels, as even with 160 gallons and plenty of caves and hiding spots they still managed to chase each other around for a week. They've since become great tank mates and actually sleep together at night.

My dwarf angels are only slightly smaller than the sailfin and lamarck's angel. The lamarck's angel was immediately accepted into the group without any issues.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There all very active

I have the yellow tang (and other tangs) with

Emperor
Blue face
Regal
Flame
Coral beauty (very grumpy!)

In my large system I have 9 yellow tangs

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an issue w/ tangs and angels myself. Only trouble with tangs and butterfly. My bicolor angel actually liked to taunt a yellow tang I had. Would swim circles around the tang and duck into a rock out of sight.

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience Zebrasoma tangs tend to behave more like dwarf angels than open water-swimming Naso, Genicanthus, or some Acanthurus tangs. They spend most of their time swimming in and out of the rock work grazing on it. Much like Centropyge angels.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not, but in my 160-gallon system I have a sailfin tang, quoy parrotfish, coral beauty and midnight dwarf angels and a lamarck's angel.

The parrotfish has established itself as the alpha in the tank, but all the aforementioned fish get along great without any issues. I also briefly had a naso tang in the mix and there were no issues with it, either.
Hi There, do you any video to share of your tank? I would love to checkout your Quoyi's behavior and interaction with rest of fishes and corals. Does the Quoyi hurt any corals?

Howomg have you had the parrotfish and rest?

Amit.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lamarck's angel completely dominates my yellow tang, which shows submissive behaviour whenever it's around. They were both rehomed from the same tank (which was dominated by a harlequin tuskfish, which I did not acquire), so perhaps they've just established a certain social hierarchy. Both tend to ignore a juvenile navarchus in the tank, but the Lamarck's also attempts (and I say attempts) to boss around a gold-headed goby, which has none of it. That Lamarck's angel is certainly the bossiest angelfish I've ever seen, but the behaviour doesn't spill over into actual aggression.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an awesome collection of fish. I wonder if Yellow Tangs get big in captivity from your experience as the largest I’ve heard is maybe 7” and it was caught at that size. Don’t Lamarck’s also get to 8-9”?
The Lamarck's angel is a beast. Perhaps it's an exemplar of its species, but I've never seen a fish that's more of a tank than that one. And I'm including its former tankmate, the harlequin tuskfish, in that tally. It probably doesn't hurt that it's essentially a vacuum with fins and eats everything, including half the nori (leaving the tang to fight off the fire urchin for the other half).

They're currently in a four foot tank, but I think that I'm going to eventually have to get a five or six footer for the Lamarck. It's doing well in the current build, and doesn't pace, but boy can that fish swim. My centropyge angels (and the navarchus) swim like cute windup toys in comparison with it.

I've acquired most of my angels from tank teardowns and/or rehoming efforts. I keep thinking that I'm going to find my dream c. interrupta (so pretty!) from someone desperate to get rid of it so that they can get some common tang. Yeah, I know: dream on... :)

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the compatibility like between Tangs and Angels? The only Tang in question is a Biota CB Yellow Tang, which are starting to become available here in Asia. However, I would really like my tank to be built around a pair of large angels (Regal, Blue Line, or Black Velvet) and a harem of dwarfs. Perhaps a tank in the 300 range would be still too small for the large angels to spawn, but I am quite certain that given time and good care the dwarfs will spawn.

Since angels for the most part aren’t as feisty as Tangs, I would like to know whether it’s a good idea to add a CB Yellow Tang if my tank’s being built around the angels.

My concerns are:
1. That another “large” fish, plus being a herbivore (inefficient digestive tract), means added bioload when I don’t want my tank to be heavily stocked / don’t want too much maintenance.

2. That the Yellow won’t exactly be a “peaceful” fish, plus its size means I have concerns that it will bully either the large angel pair or one or more of the dwarf angel harem, and I prize the angels very much.

3. That if it gets aggressive, it will disrupt the pair (for the large) and harem (for the dwarf) dynamics, especially when it comes to bonding and eventually spawning (for the dwarfs, at least).

4. That the more linear and fast paced swimming style of the Tang will stress out the more zig-zag and managed swimming style of the angels, thus leading them to adapt more slowly or not adapt at all.

It’s a nice looking Tang (as someone who’s not a very big fan of them) and an icon of the hobby, plus it’s awesome that it’s being captive bred, but I don’t want my angels to be affected by the presence of it if it’s going to cause trouble.

Perhaps my concerns are overstated and there are more aggressive kinds of Tangs out there, but yeah I would like to get my angels comfortable as much as possible.

Other than the large angel pair and maybe a CB Yellow, I have no plans for any other large fish.
Hello fella! Hope all is well. As far as the large angels I cannot offer anything in terms of compatibility with Zebrasoma. However if you are worrying about The YT harrasing a harem of pygmies or dwarfs? Nah, not in the tank size you speak of. You KNOW my tank. It's a 90 with a seasoned vet YT , and two dwarf angels. The YT was all uppity for about 6 hours with the addition of an Eibli Angel, Coral Beauty already present. Then could care less. Those Angels will sort it themselves, hopefully in a positive fashion. With a 300, there is a ton of room. Number one suggestion is rockwork kept a bit lower, to 1/2 tank height max, free swim space for Tang, but still plenty of it to allow hiding space for the angels....I am an Angel and Tang lover as yourself lol..

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated! Tank will be standard 24 inches (60cm) tall. :) So yeah rockwork half that will be up to 30-35cm. How are you doing??? Hope all is going well, unfortunately still stuck where I am, life’s back in China lol. Hopefully it will change soon.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back