Tangs and Tank Size

KirtiS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, is there a rule of thumb for how many tangs a 150G tank can handle? Other fishes are
3 Clowns, 2 Yellow Wrasse, Carpenter Wrasse, 6-line Wrasse, 2 Bar Gobys, 2 Fire Gobys, Diamond Goby

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally go by the rule one fish for every 10 gallons. With that said there are many who have way more or way less. All depends on your equipment and maintenance. Tangs poop a lot. Most tangs require a 180 gallon tank, except for the yellow, sailfin, kole and a few others. Since you already have 12 fish I would add 3 tangs, maybe all yellows (they look nice in a group) or one of each of the ones I mentioned.
If you go on live aquaria they list the minimum tank size for all the fish. You can also check their compatibility.
With tangs you need at least 3(or more) to minimize the aggression.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it's a 6 foot tank I would only go with zebrosoma (but not a sailfin) or bristle tooth tangs. Multiple tangs might be a bit dicey but might be doable. 4FordFamily will probably be the best source of a recommendation.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that it depends on your tanks ability to export nutrients (filter poo). As said, tangs are dirty fish. 3 tangs seems reasonable if smaller species. I would avoid any acanthurus tang in a 150 with that kind of stocking (including 3 more tangs). Bristletooth and smaller zebrasoma like yellow, purple, black, and scopas would be good choices. You may be able to mix three different zebrasoma species but add at the same time if you try that. Don't try 2 and a bristletooth that won't work well most likely!

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd say only one zebrasoma sp. The likelihood that a pair or group of 3 would fall out and fight is high. In a tank that size the others simply wouldn't have the space to get out of the way. If you do go for 3, then contrary to the above is actually plump for convict tangs (Acanthurus triostegus). They stay relatively small, are generally peaceful amongst themselves and are less likely to harass other species too.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd say only one zebrasoma sp. The likelihood that a pair or group of 3 would fall out and fight is high. In a tank that size the others simply wouldn't have the space to get out of the way. If you do go for 3, then contrary to the above is actually plump for convict tangs (Acanthurus triostegus). They stay relatively small, are generally peaceful amongst themselves and are less likely to harass other species too.
Convict tangs are a good choice, assuming the tank owner utilizes proper qt and preventative measures. Good suggestion I had overlooked!

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of choices if you want a trio in a 150. I always suggest 1 from each genus especially if you are relatively new to tangs. Having only 1 of each Genus will greatly reduce the possibility of aggression as well as introducing them all together. QT procedures are a must but if none of your current fish have ever been thru some treatment you could have troubles when the new tangs are introduced.

My suggestion for Acanthurus is two of my favorites and very underrated fish. Often overlooked but truly stunning when healthy, the mimics. Acanthurus pyroferus the chocolate tang.
Acanthurus tristis mimics one of my favorite pygmy angels the Eibli. The above mentioned convict is also a very good candidate as well as the lavender Acanthurus nigrofuscus

As for Zebrasoma unless you feel like spending a lot of money you are basically stuck with 3 options. Purple, Scopas and Yellow (xanthurum, scopas, and flavescens). It would be best to avoid the sailfins as they get much to big for your tank.

There aren't any Ctenochaetus that wouldn't be happy in a 150 so you can take your pick there. You should know that the often desired Chevron takes on a very different coloration as an adult but they are still stunning. There are lots of choices in the genus and in my opinion some of the best are the ones we don't see very often. Some can be difficult to locate but are very inexpensive.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back