CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever experience fish bullying an eel? I put a 20 inch long zebra moray eel into my 8 foot long 310 gallon mixed reef Saturday afternoon and as soon as my gem and pair of yellow tangs see my zebra eels head start to pop out of any rock cave or crevice they go after it turning sideways and tail swiping at him not wanting him to come out of the rock work. When I check the tank late at night after lights out and it’s dark he comes out, I’ve seen him out slowly creeping through the rockwork between midnight and 7am. But during the day when lights are on and fish are active, my tangs are being complete jerks.

Anyone ever experience this with fish and eels? I know tangs can be territorial bullies but I never would have thought they would act this way towards a 20 inch long eel
D8F17545-F9E6-412F-BEC8-68A015D2AB6C.jpeg
A200262F-D923-4561-A90F-E31C53C11A95.jpeg
47A3960E-BEDB-4E01-9AC3-03CBB7EF79B9.jpeg
5EB63CC0-1403-4FE9-A2E4-65FC7037905F.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the eel is mostly nocturnal anyways ,bullying should subside in a few days, if not try the mirror trick on tangs.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the eel is mostly nocturnal anyways ,bullying should subside in a few days, if not try the mirror trick on tangs.
I’m just extremely surprised that they would even attempt to bully an eel. I get the bullying with other new tang additions or foxface or similarly colored or sized fish. But an eel I never would have thought of. I hope it subsides, because it’s super annoying to watch them do that to him. Plus knowing I have several more fish I still want to introduce and can tell this is going to be a repeating issue with these tangs if they are doing this. I am in the middle of building a diy acclimation box tho.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. In fact none of the fish in my tank like the zebra except for my queen angel which is odd because he’s a terror to everyone lol. Having said that the aggression did die down to a tolerable level but don’t expect them to be swim buddies. Trust me when the eel gets hungry they’ll clear out of his way!

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. In fact none of the fish in my tank like the zebra except for my queen angel which is odd because he’s a terror to everyone lol. Having said that the aggression did die down to a tolerable level but don’t expect them to be swim buddies. Trust me when the eel gets hungry they’ll clear out of his way!
Yeah I never expected them to be swim buddies, that’s for sure lol. If anything I figured they would have seen the eel and steered clear of him, not bully him and keep him contained to whatever rock he under or inside of. Hasn’t accepted any food yet. But I’m figuring it’s just because it’s a new tank, plus the tang bullying id say isn’t helping. I only have raw uncooked peeled shrimp to offer him right now. I need to go to the store to get more variety

But definitely hoping the aggression dies down to a tolerable level soon. It’s annoying. I know the aggression with my group of bangaii died down to where they are chill together 90 percent of the time now

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I never expected them to be swim buddies, that’s for sure lol. If anything I figured they would have seen the eel and steered clear of him, not bully him and keep him contained to whatever rock he under or inside of. Hasn’t accepted any food yet. But I’m figuring it’s just because it’s a new tank, plus the tang bullying id say isn’t helping. I only have raw uncooked peeled shrimp to offer him right now. I need to go to the store to get more variety

But definitely hoping the aggression dies down to a tolerable level soon. It’s annoying. I know the aggression with my group of bangaii died down to where they are chill together 90 percent of the time now]
Tangs are fearless that’s what I’ve learned lol. How long have you had him? Could take awhile for him to start eating I wouldn’t freak out. My zebra will only eat raw shrimp and I’ve tried just about everything lol.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever seen a hawk or eagle being hounded by song birds. Its the same thing and the side swiping is the tangs trying to make themselves look big. They see the eel as a threat and they want it gone.

It should die down though.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it at a public aquarium. The tang was a mature mimic/chocolate. I don't remember the eel species. I stood there and watched for a while, and I was really surprised like you. The tang just hovered there by the eel's hole and smacked it every time the eel's head poked out. I assume the tang moves out of the way at feeding time.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20" is small for a zebra eel, he's still a kid. The tangs will get bored or when the eel matures a bit he's put a stop to it. I'm sure no real damage is being done.

Back