Tangs developing HLLE 50 days into QT/fallow

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started Cupramine immediately since I was adding my PBT due to Ich. The other tangs were new and the timing just worked out. I ramped up dosage per the instructions, which was over 3 days. I kept them in Cupramine for 2 weeks, then moved them to a sterile tank (125g) while I sterilized the 75 QT and moved them back in 36 hrs or so later.

All carbon is out and 85% WC performed. I have acquired Copper Power since, so I could get them back in Copper and have it be a bit easier to maintain, but from reading HotRocks QT thread I am a bit concerned about prolonged therapeutic Copper...

I've got the Zoecon arriving today, so I think I may give that a chance to see if there is any improvement first.

Thanks very much for your input!!!
My concern is always with timing when treating saltwater ich due to it's life cycle.

There could have been a moment when the parasite dropped off the fish and began to encyst within the few days it took for you to ramp up copper to therapeutic levels. From my own experience, and not having considered this possibility along with not transferring to a sterile environment danged me once upon a time.

I held a Powder Brown Tang in therapeutic levels of copper for up to about 5 months, not because I wanted to but out of necessity. The fish was seemingly healthy up to the day I wrongly programmed my dosing unit and overdosed the tank with soda ash and calcium solution. I chalked up its death to it's gills getting gummed up from the mix.

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
It appears that the HLLE is improving. The affected areas are darkening rapidly and appear to be getting smaller. I performed the second water change since Carbon and Purigen removal (forgot that I had added the Purigen to help with NO3 in QT). They have only been on Zoecon and BG for 2 days, but they are already looking better. I really appreciate the help, all!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back