Tangs

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am planning my stock, I’m cycling a 120”x24”x24” tank. 300gallons with a lot of hiding spots in the rocks. How many tangs can I have?,I would like to have 3 yellow tangs, two purple, one power blue and a whitecheek. I was thinking to add them all at once. Any advice? Will it be ok…Y or N

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to see a photo of the three lavenders - Never knew they could be a grouped fish in that tank size! thought convicts were the only tang able to “shoal” in “small” tanks in captivity.
I got tired of seeing so many tanks with mulitple yellow tangs. I figured I wanted to do something different. It was a battlefield for at least a month. They all constantly fought, swiped each other. Injuries all over lol...eventually they all calmed down and peacefully thrive together now. They don't necessarily shoal together though.

Here's a video of my tank.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of seeing so many tanks with mulitple yellow tangs. I figured I wanted to do something different. It was a battlefield for at least a month. They all constantly fought, swiped each other. Injuries all over lol...eventually they all calmed down and peacefully thrive together now. They don't necessarily shoal together though.

That is a VERY pretty tank!! It is truly a different idea all together, I see the Achilles is being the dominant ******* of the tank. I’d love to own a tank similar to yours one day for sure!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 210gal and have 7 tangs, your tank is way longer than mine. Just make sure that you introduce them all at the same time.

Achilles
Powder Blue
Yellow
Purple
Gem
Desjardin Sailfin
Bristletooth
61480F1B-C0F0-43F4-9C26-7603F018C30A.jpeg
Nice tangs and very good looking

that looks amazing, that’s how I want my tank to look like. Any issues with the angel fish? I see the bicolor and the fire one. In which order did you add your fish, would you create a list?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 qt, so far I’m quarantining a yellow watchman goby, two clowns, a Salafin blenny and a power blue tank. I just to have a coral beauty but one morning she was gone don’t know why, my wife thinks is the tang. Last night I saw the tank been a jerk to the blenny and the male clown, any ideas?

Upvote 0

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I LOVE that Naso. My Blonde Naso was my favorite before my tank crashed 20 years ago.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 qt, so far I’m quarantining a yellow watchman goby, two clowns, a Salafin blenny and a power blue tank. I just to have a coral beauty but one morning she was gone don’t know why, my wife thinks is the tang. Last night I saw the tank been a jerk to the blenny and the male clown, any ideas?
I would get the other two into the main display, tangs in that size tank for too long WILL murder and bully (Especially the powder tang complex) so I also assume the tang. If you don’t want to finish QT on the PBT yet then leave him in there but get the rest into the DT or a separate QT tank ASAP.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the other two into the main display, tangs in that size tank for too long WILL murder and bully (Especially the powder tang complex) so I also assume the tang. If you don’t want to finish QT on the PBT yet then leave him in there but get the rest into the DT or a separate QT tank ASAP.
Thanks for the advice

Upvote 0

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tangs and very good looking

that looks amazing, that’s how I want my tank to look like. Any issues with the angel fish? I see the bicolor and the fire one. In which order did you add your fish, would you create a list?
The flame angel was a big bully. Nearly killed a coral beauty. Bicolor is fine.

This was how I added if I can recall correctly.
First fish were the pair of clowns, then the Fowleri Tang, then the blonde naso, then the blue hippo, then the white tail bristletooth. All of these tangs were rather peaceful towards each other. Then I added a juvenile Powder blue. That lil guy tried to bully around the hippo tang who was more than twice its size but nothing serious happened. Then I added my juvenile Achilles who was almost the same size as my powder blue. This introduction I was a bit hesitant to see what would happen. I even built a decent sized acclimation box out of a tupperware. Had him in there for about a day but I felt it was too constricting for any tang's movement. I decided to let him out and right away the powder blue went at it...they both swam around each other quick in circles with their fins flared up and chased around for almost an hour. I was afraid the powder blue would do some damage. After the hour was up, the Achilles came out on top and took the thrown of the tank bully. I was very relieved and happy to see that. Ever since then the Achilles growth spurt was obvious as the powder blue is nowhere the size of the Achilles now. And the Achilles still does quick chases of the powder blue about 10 times per day or so lol, but nothing terrible like actual swiping happens. Then I added the 3 lavendars and they beat each other up as well as being chased by the Achilles and powder blue... took about a month for everyone to finally settle down. Their injuries dissappeared and they're looking beautiful since. Then I added a small purple tang. No one really chased it or messed with it besides the Achilles a few times. The purple probably had the fastest growth spurt. He's easily as big as my Achilles and handles his own. Then I added the convict tang after 5 unsuccessful tries. Found one from a local reefer. It's the most chunky convict tang I've ever seen. Eats like a pig and is a total ***** too. He's killed a copperband butterfly and a double saddled butterfly. Thankfully he hasn't gone after my current Pearlscale butterfly. Last tang and probably my last fish added is my small Maucileps tang. Thankfully no real aggression happened at all since it was the smallest tang and only the lavendars chased it a few times for the first 30 minutes. So that's the lowdown of how I introduced my tangs. I suggest introducing the peaceful tangs first and the aggressive ones last. And for qurantine I do TTM mainly. And TTM with prazipro for some angels etc. Been great having an ich free tank to be able to keep all of these Tangs since 2019 and never seen a sign of ich... even though some aquarists on this board don't believe my tank is ich free lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today looking at my tang I noticed some white spots. Could this be ich or something else? I will attach the pics.

Attachments

• 9155132E-88FD-4ADF-B6FE-A4E12E1B8C1B.jpeg
    9155132E-88FD-4ADF-B6FE-A4E12E1B8C1B.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 28
  • EFB87E93-5FE7-408A-8239-1130464C5A32.jpeg
    EFB87E93-5FE7-408A-8239-1130464C5A32.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if keeping tangs is similar to african cichlids. The idea is to overload the tank with tangs so that the dominant tang can't focus or single out one fish and chase it to death.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if keeping tangs is similar to african cichlids. The idea is to overload the tank with tangs so that the dominant tang can't focus or single out one fish and chase it to death.
IMHO, that’s not how it works. Too many tangs will be an overload of stress. I have kept 2 tangs in a 6’ tank and it works but as soon as more tangs go into the tank it goes wrong. I find Anthias are more like cichlids though, they need shoals of 20+ or they kill eachother off one by one.

Upvote 0

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my yellow, purple, sailfin, and gem tang at the same time to thr dt and I introduced my powder blue to the powder brown and Sohal tang in the qt tank and after the qt they went in the dt without a problem. I only have a 180g but introduce similar species together like zebrasoma tangs now and a month later add the acanthurus tangs

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to have a couple of tangs in a 75g tank? If so which? I know that yellows are a problem.

Advice appreciated.
Honestly, in a 4’ tank you could only fit one tang genus in there long term, short term you could maybe get it to work with other genera however don’t count on it. I’d recommend going for the Ctenochaetus tangs (Avoid hawaiiensis and striatus).

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, in a 4’ tank you could only fit one tang genus in there long term, short term you could maybe get it to work with other genera however don’t count on it. I’d recommend going for the Ctenochaetus tangs (Avoid hawaiiensis and striatus).
Pretty much what I thought.

I have a foxface in there so adding a tang would be a bad idea.

Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what I thought.

I have a foxface in there so adding a tang would be a bad idea.

Thanks for the advice.
It’s alright, I have a foxface and a tang in my 4’x2’x2’ tank, they get along just fine! Here’s a photo of the two, a Ctenochaetus binotatus and Siganus magnificus.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s alright, I have a foxface and a tang in my 4’x2’x2’ tank, they get along just fine! Here’s a photo of the two, a Ctenochaetus binotatus and Siganus magnificus.
image.jpg

Umm, yes but I already have 3 stocky anthias, 3 blue Chromis, and a pair of Picasso clowns.

I think it may push things too far for a tank that is not that mature at 8 months.

I think I'd best sit on my wallet.

Thanks & Regards
Graham.

Upvote 0

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today looking at my tang I noticed some white spots. Could this be ich or something else? I will attach the pics.
Did you find out if that was ich? Definitely looks like it could be. PBT are so prone to it that i think if someone says ich they catch it. lol

Back to your originally question i think the tangs you want are fine. I had all mine QT and put in small and most at the same time. I did already have purple, scopas, and sailfin. I have a 400 gal 8x36x27 with plenty of swim room and hideouts.
20211129_174157.jpg

Tang list: 5 yellow tangs, 1 powder blue, 1 purple, 1 scopas, 1 flame fin tomini.

Most may say that's two many but i have no issues and all are fat and happy. I have seen one chase another around but never bad and usually the one being chased will then chase back, almost like a game. I've never seen one torn fin or scratch on any of my tangs. I do keep them well fed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find out if that was ich? Definitely looks like it could be. PBT are so prone to it that i think if someone says ich they catch it. lol

Back to your originally question i think the tangs you want are fine. I had all mine QT and put in small and most at the same time. I did already have purple, scopas, and sailfin. I have a 400 gal 8x36x27 with plenty of swim room and hideouts.
20211129_174157.jpg

Tang list: 5 yellow tangs, 1 powder blue, 1 purple, 1 scopas, 1 flame fin tomini.

Most may say that's two many but i have no issues and all are fat and happy. I have seen one chase another around but never bad and usually the one being chased will then chase back, almost like a game. I've never seen one torn fin or scratch on any of my tangs. I do keep them well fed.
Your tank looks awesome. The spots disappeared. I really don’t know what it was, I did observe him for a while now and nothing.
As per the tangs, I will get them when the tank is a little bit more mature and I am able to get them all at once. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back