Tank birthday, 47+ years

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning. I just sold my boat so I am boatless for the first time in 43 years. :anguished-face:
Wow this is an old thread, just was reading thru some of it. Is your tank still up and running? Would love to see some pics! Awesome reef by the sounds of it

Xero_ID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a couple of weeks my reef will will have reached 40 years old.
Unfortunately I don't remember when I was 40 but I remember when I set it up. I was a skinny 22 year old just back from Viet Nam.
It is still running very well, still using the same reverse UG filter, same dolomite substrait but none of the fish are original. The oldest one, a fireclown is just over 16, all of the older fish died in an accident that was due to my carelessness.
The tank is mostly LPS, gorgonians, giant mushrooms and a few leathers.
There are only three SPS corals, two of which have been with me for a few years and are growing nicely.
I am not sure is any of the original NSW from the Long Island Sound is still in there or any of the original amphipods but maybe much later generations.
I still can't take a decent picture and the tank is not as blue as these pictures but it is what it is.
opentank008.jpg

Valantinesday017.jpg

monti002.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

Aquarium014.jpg
Congrats, thats crazy to even think about and truly amazing. I think you get Poseidon status now or Lord of the Reef.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is an old thread, just was reading thru some of it. Is your tank still up and running? Would love to see some pics! Awesome reef by the sounds of it
Thank you

Why did you sell it?
We have had a boat for 43 years and this one for about 15 years. We love boating but 4 years ago we moved to eastern Long Island because my wife has MS so we downsized. She can't really go up stairs any longer and has a hard time getting on the boat.

Our boat had a nice cabin with full kitchen, head and all that but it had 3 steps to get down to it and it is very hard for her. She also can't get in the water any more because she can't get up the ladder.

Because of all that, we decided it was time to sell. Our condo where we downsized to has a very large pool, 13 feet deep and we have quite a lot of great friends here and have pool parties every few days so we won't miss it much.

I will also save about 10 grand a year. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

2014-08-19 18.15.40.jpg

2014-08-19 16.54.25.jpg

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

We have had a boat for 43 years and this one for about 15 years. We love boating but 4 years ago we moved to eastern Long Island because my wife has MS so we downsized. She can't really go up stairs any longer and has a hard time getting on the boat.

Our boat had a nice cabin with full kitchen, head and all that but it had 3 steps to get down to it and it is very hard for her. She also can't get in the water any more because she can't get up the ladder.

Because of all that, we decided it was time to sell. Our condo where we downsized to has a very large pool, 13 feet deep and we have quite a lot of great friends here and have pool parties every few days so we won't miss it much.

2014-08-19 18.15.40.jpg

2014-08-19 16.54.25.jpg

Not that you would spend the 10k on the tank since everything is Diy and you buying the sick fish they throw out for next to no money

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sad I sold it and as I said, if my wife was still healthy, I would have kept it a few more years. But it was time and a guy asked me if I wanted to sell it. In this market with the gas price it is tough to sell a boat especially when it is almost $600.00 to fill the tank and costs about $4.00 a minute to run. :anguished-face:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I am sad for you and your beautiful wife that it is time to be done boating. I know it brought you guys and so many of your best friends joy. But knowing you, you are resilient, as is your wife and you two will find other things that bring you joy.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

2014-08-19 18.15.40.jpg

2014-08-19 16.54.25.jpg

That's a shame Paul as I know how much you enjoy being on your boat but needs must I guess.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you will appreciate this Paul.

I bought this JBA Falcon Tourer 1975 registered classic car a few weeks back, it was 85% complete. I have done quite a few jobs on it inc getting a second set if wheels refurbed, fit new seats (my wife is very uncomfortable in the ones in it) badge bar, spot lights, new battery along with minor cosmetic jobs.

I hope to have it ready for a classic car show near me for the UK August Bank Holiday Monday in 6 days time. A good mate is helping me with finishing it as I struggle to get under the car on my knees and back. Yesterday I fixed the drivers door lock and fitted period number plates.

Its a JBA Falcon Tourer which were made less than 1/4 from where I lived in Standish Wigan. I used to see them regular when I lived there but back in the late 70s early 80s I was bringing up a young family and couldn't afford one then.

Getting to the back end of the summer here which is the only real downside.

The car has a Ford 2ltr Pinto engine with a twin choak webber carb with 4 speed box. It's quite light so goes well. The rear bench seat is only for children really which will be ideal for taking the grandchildren for the odd spin.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOooooo HHhhhh NNnnooooooo. FLOOD!!!

I hate when that happens and unfortunately it is always my fault. :confounded-face:

I replaced a defective light yesterday and I have a "baffle" or vertical piece of PVC that runs the 6' length of the back of the tank to help keep the fish from jumping out.

I must have moved that PVC onto the float that controls the water going into the tank so it overflowed. I lost about 15 or 20 gallons. Well, I didn't lose it as I know exactly where it is. All over my workshop floor. :dizzy-face:

I don't care about the floor but fresh water kept going into the tank so the salinity was so low that I could keep bullfrogs, alligators and kissing gouramies.zzo_O

My fish are not Girly fish so they don't care and could live in damp sawdust and my corals are also not Sissies so I don't think anything will happen but it may put them in a bad mood for a few hours.

The salinity doesn't even read on my hydrometer. :expressionless-face:

I have 30 gallons of seawater here that I collected but I needed to raise the salinity in that so I had to run to Petco to buy ASW. I got Instant Ocean and dumped in a few pounds to my NSW. I removed 10 gallons of water from my tank and am slowly pumping in my strong solution of seawater.

I will keep doing that until the salinity is strong enough to keep wild Tuna.

It will take a few more pounds of ASW but I will get there in about an hour or two. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
You are wicked.

I think your posts should be prefaced with a moniker, do not do this to a tank unless at least 20 years old,

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, that sounds like a nice project. A few days ago I bought a tree slab about 6' long and 4' wide. It was the part of a huge black walnut tree where three limbs grew out of so it is very interesting. I am building a table from it that will hopefully have some epoxy going on someplace. I will post pictures.

As for a car. If I can find a spare garage, I want a Model A Ford. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, that sounds like a nice project. A few days ago I bought a tree slab about 6' long and 4' wide. It was the part of a huge black walnut tree where three limbs grew out of so it is very interesting. I am building a table from it that will hopefully have some epoxy going on someplace. I will post pictures.

As for a car. If I can find a spare garage, I want a Model A Ford. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
That should make a great table indeed.
Am looking for a garage to store mine over winter.
Why won't it let me post photo's? I never had that issue before.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a wood slab table out of this piece of black walnut. Hopefully I will be able to incorporate some colored epoxy in it.

Raw Wood table.JPG

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Looks like some sort of English Car! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I want one of these but my new Jeep is in the garage and my other Jeep is in the driveway so I have no place to put this and we live next to the sea so it would rot if Ididn't keep it inside.

download.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back