Tank birthday, 47+ years

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B i found your supermodels, they’re trying to save everyone from paying to much for Starbucks I think

125A18C6-BEB9-4952-B0F9-A2B143ACC0B4.jpeg

;Shifty

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Veterans Day and welcome home.

I just came back from I Hop and got my free breakfast. Later we are going out with other Veterans for a free dinner. :D

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From one Vet to another, Happy Veteran's Day Paul.

Here in Canada, we call it Remembrance Day and most of us wear a red poppy to symbolize our Remembrance. The poppy symbol comes from a poem written by a Canadian military doctor during World War I..

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Veterans Day to all who served. I consider myself fortunate as I served during a time of no war or conflicts, Navy 80-85. For all of you who served in combat, you have my utmost respect. And I sincerely mean that

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rybren, Thanks, but I think that poem is for Memorial Day that honors our war dead. Here, Veterans Day is for all Veterans living and dead. :cool:

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rybren, Thanks, but I think that poem is for Memorial Day that honors our war dead. Here, Veterans Day is for all Veterans living and dead. :cool:

We don't have a Memorial Day, so Remembrance Day has come to honour everyone who has served, although it is primarily for those who paid the ultimate price. 36 years in the Air Force for me.

U

User1

View Badges
Still my personal belief that Vietnam vets get treated the worst. Every time I hear anything remotely about reparations from our far L politicians I always snap back to how people treated you all coming home. Of course it didn't help that I read about it every morning as I was folding news papers so it is very much set into my mind and has never gone away. And I wasn't there.

Apologies for my small rant but I do with all service men and women, past, present, and future, an very special day. There are good and bad things that can happen when serving. I think one of the better things is that it can teach troubled men and women discipline, teamwork, and of course self worth. So much so that i think it should be mandatory for 2 years. If you opt for 4 years we pay for college - any college.

To another year.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much so that i think it should be mandatory for 2 years. If you opt for 4 years we pay for college - any college.

I have always said that. The draft was so unfair. I was drafted but if you were rich or you had some sort of religious "thing" like you couldn't cut your hair or you couldn't eat certain things or you went to college (like all the rich kids did to get out of the draft) I don't think you should be able to live in this country.

It's just my opinion of course but my beliefs are a little scewed from spending a year in the jungle and those people didn't have to do anything and they enjoy the same benefits that I do.

Even the chickens that went to Canada were allowed to come back after the war with no punishment. I don't have a problem with you going to Canada. But stay there if the Canadians will let you. You can see Rybren's tank :p

It was not fair. I am Catholic and at the time I was not supposed to eat meat on Fridays, but C-Rations are all meat and we ate that almost every day. Me, and God got over it. :rolleyes:
There was also pork in some of the C-Rations. God didn't care.

If they ever have another draft, I think they should draft everyone and I don't really care if you are the son of the Pope, have one eye, are a vegan, in college to be a nuclear physicist, Bill Gates nephew, or anyone else. If I go, you go. :cool:

WE did have conscientious objectors that didn't have to carry a gun and I have no problem with that. So if you are against the war, do that. :)

I spent my last day in the Army on a mountain in Cambodia. I came back still dirty. They landed me in New Jersey withno money (we didn't use American money in Nam)
In the middle of the night they gave me a 15 cent subway token. There are no subways in New Jersey and I was 100 miles from my home. There were also no cell phones as they were not invented yet so if my family didn't pick me up, I would have had to hitch hike and since a lot of people didn't like Viet Nam Vets, I would have walked most of the way.

We didn't get a thank you, thanks for coming, drop dead, nothing.
I couldn't even take my monkey home

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually just talking to my wife about my uniforms. She asked what I was saving them for. I wasn't sure actually. I figured I'll keep the dress blues and maybe get rid of the BDU's.

Handsome man you are Paul.

I threw that out a few years ago. :cool:

I wish I could have taken home my boots, They were good boots.
I had to go through this little passageway naked. Yes a really nice sight but that is how they made sure you didn't carry home a grenade, howitzer or cute girl.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE went to dinner tonight at a place that gives Veterans half price dinners. It was really nice and just as our check came this little girl about 9 years old comes to our table and hands me this card she just made that said: Thank you so much for keeping us safe, Happy Veterans Day.

I cried.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a different time. Unfortunately those times are gone and many people have no patriotism. Now it is all about what the Government can give me for free.

Back