Tank birthday, 47+ years

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my old manifold. The three tubes come out of the bottom. The thing is fed from that tube on the left and the other tube on the bottom left is the overflow that lets the excess water go back to the tank without going under the filter.

I have (5) plates, 11" x 16". That's why I showed (5) tubes.

What do you mean by "150 GPG" ?

That looks like a HOB filter. What pump did you use to pump water into it?

What is the 1/4" tubing off of the white elbow for?

Last edited:

Bob Bennett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 46 degrees here yesterday, it's normally 5 degrees.
Before I retired, this is how I would get to work.

1578838072211.png

My office was in the building on the right with the square windows.

This winter, people are swimming to work. o_O :rolleyes::cool:
The Rideau Canal "a", miss that so much, back when Paul's tank was new I lived in Manotick, pretty sure my best friends Dad designed that building you worked in

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (5) plates, 11" x 16". That's why I showed (5) tubes.

What do you mean by "150 GPG" ?

That looks like a HOB filter. What pump did you use to pump water into it?

What is the 1/4" tubing off of the white elbow for?

Then you need five tubes. (That was a HOB filter) I use a new different one now, but it does the same thing.
That is supposed to read 150 GPH. My fingers are to thick for this lap top my wife got me for Christmas.

I used one of these pumps. I don't have a sump so the water coming out of my HOB 5' skimmer goes into the manifold which feeds the UG filter and my algae scrubber. But I am weird. The pump can just feed the manifold which in your case should pump about 800 GPH into.

That 1/4" tube was because I needed a small water feed for one of my DIY bristleworm traps so I tapped water from that. Forget that, it has nothing to do with this nor does Nancy Pelosi.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My office was in the building on the right with the square windows.

My office was in Rockefeller Center right above the Christmas tree that everyone saw at Christmas time. Our company used to be one of the electrical companies that lit the tree.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember in the Disney movie "Fantasia", when Mickey Mouse was mopping the floor, and then the mops were coming out from all over the place and they started to mop the floor by themselves. Then there were buckets spilling water in torrential torrents making what looked like Noah's Flood, pouring out of the windows, Tiny mushrooms grew really large and they were also dancing in the water and the music was a crescendo of drums, harps, bugles and you were sure Micky would drown.

Remember that!

Well this post has nothing to do with that. ;Wideyed

We go out to eat probably to much but most of the time it is Italian or seafood. Of course we live on an Island jutting out into the sea so we are surrounded by seafood. I grew up in my Dad's sea food store so I was always surrounded by dead fish, live lobsters, crabs and snails.

I used to get my toy military tank on the floor on the saw dust and shoot those crustaceans who I am sure hated me. ;Sour

There are a lot of great Seafood restaurants here especially Italian seafood restaurants and if you can pronounce anything, it can't be good. (and if the Mob eats there, you know it's excellent because the chef doesn't want to wake up sleeping next to a sea horse head. ;Shifty

The great places have a chief from Italy and they brought their recopies. My family was all from the same tiny fishing village in Sicily called Sciacca so I grew up on great seafood. (I was born in Brooklyn)

If Christ were to come to that village now, he would feel right at home as it hasn't changed in the 2,000 years since he probably ate there.

(Maybe he got lost in that fishing boat with Saint Peter, who was just a Saint in training then, sort of like a "Pre Saint" or Saint Noob)

It could happen as the GPSs or Gypasis as I call them for short were not that accurate as they had to be filled with Frankincense and Myrrh which was always hard to come by. Sort of like Ambergris. Which is whale snot. ;Vomit

I actually have Frankincense here because years ago I invented this cream that I used on my Man hands because I usually worked outside and they would get all chapped so I made this stuff. I don't use it any more but my wife loves the stuff and uses it on her face. She feels it makes her look like Gina Lollobrigida . Since she loves the stuff her friends use it to so to make it Girly smelling, I add Frankincense which I guess is what Gina Lollobrigida smells like. :)

But, I also like to cook it. I make a mean stuffed calamari and Manhattan Clam chowder.

I didn't include recopies in my book, but maybe the next book I will add some things you can do with fish that died in quarantine. :oops:

This is that fishing Village my family comes from. Sciacca. We were there a few years ago. I embarrassingly don't speak Italian (my Dad died when I was 10) so we hired a translator. She was about 18, gorgeous and looked like Sophia Loren, boots, leather vest and all.
She had no money but her outfit was a fortune and I think she toggle bolted her cell phone to her head because I never saw her put it down. She must have had an Oldsmobile battery in that thing and she also smoked maybe 14 packs of cigarettes. I think now she is on "Lung Cancer Weekly" magazine. ;Bucktooth

sciacca sicilia - Yahoo Video Search Results
The search engine that helps you find exactly what you're looking for. Find the most relevant information, video, images, and answers from all across the Web.
video.search.yahoo.com
video.search.yahoo.com

We were walking down the street looking for my Grand Father's house and she was asking people directions.

We came upon this guy and she was asking him things in Italian and he was answering while she translated to us.

This went on for 5 or 10 minutes and I heard the guy say something in English.

I said, Wait a minute, you speak English! He said, Yes, I spent 30 years in Bayonne New jersey.

Like Duh, why are you talking to the translator?

Maybe they don't have high schools there, I don't know.
But my last name is like Smith here and half the people in that town have my name including the Mayor. We were treated like Royalty and couldn't pay for anything, not even dinner which was a plate of baby octopus and fish that looked like purple tangs. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where my wife's Grand Parents came from. It is now a ghost town and never had water or electricity so they had to keep their reef tanks filled with damp sawdust. :oops:

They filmed "The Passion of Christ" there and I even think Christ was an extra in the movie. They also filmed "Ben Hur" a James Bond film and a few other things like PeeWee Herman's Italy Adventure. OK maybe not that one. Ben Hur was a first cousin if Ben Aflick, 3 times removed.

My wife's Great Grand Mother was the pharmacist in that town. The only medications were probably made from Prizapro and Fava beans because they can't grow anything else there.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been perusing threads here on reef2reef and looking at a thread on a guy (I think it'd a guy) who is losing most of his fish in quarantine. And I am thinking: Like Duh, of course you are losing fish. You are poisoning them.

I am fed up to here. (My hand is under my chin), with this losing fish in quarantine. I really feel for all these fish that were hanging out under the sea, minding their own business and some Jiboni comes along and catches it. Then throws it in a tub with a bunch of fish he doesn't know or even like.

Then we dump it into a small tank with poisons like copper which is great for making wire but fish hate it.
It makes the fish exude copious amounts of slime that the fish would rather use for greasing bicycle chains or enhancing it's immune system that it kind of needs to do things like for instance, STAY ALIVE.

I am glad I am old and will croak soon because it is really disenheartening (I made up that word) to see all the fish we are torturing. I hate it. and I don't hate much. OK yes I do, but this is about fish and I am not talking about Supermodels who don't return my calls, even though I really only guessed their phone numbers.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been perusing threads here on reef2reef and looking at a thread on a guy (I think it'd a guy) who is losing most of his fish in quarantine. And I am thinking: Like Duh, of course you are losing fish. You are poisoning them.

I am fed up to here. (My hand is under my chin), with this losing fish in quarantine. I really feel for all these fish that were hanging out under the sea, minding their own business and some Jiboni comes along and catches it. Then throws it in a tub with a bunch of fish he doesn't know or even like.

Then we dump it into a small tank with poisons like copper which is great for making wire but fish hate it.
It makes the fish exude copious amounts of slime that the fish would rather use for greasing bicycle chains or enhancing it's immune system that it kind of needs to do things like for instance, STAY ALIVE.

I am glad I am old and will croak soon because it is really disenheartening (I made up that word) to see all the fish we are torturing. I hate it. and I don't hate much. OK yes I do, but this is about fish and I am not talking about Supermodels who don't return my calls, even though I really only guessed their phone numbers.
Just one of many Paul, you can talk about not quarantining forever, tell and show how it works for you and tell why it can work for them but people want magic potions and instant cures or near as possible either that or they will set up a QT tank and lay their DT fallow.
I was talking to a guy in a local LFS a few days ago. He remembered me as he had got some frags off me and was very complimentary of my tank when he visited. He told me he had a wipe out to velvet and that his DT had been fallow for 3 months now so he was about to start restocking. However, first he had bought a tank as a QT to start copper poisoning. I told him my philosophy to not QTing and how I kept the tank he had been so taken with. Unfortunately it appears I was talking some strange alien tongue as he never said a word about what I did nor asked any questions. In the end I just gave up. The problem is the "experts"had told him he must QT and administer copper and whatever else you can buy to kill just about anything including his fish. I hope I don't come across him again either that or he sees me and runs away. Still we will keep doing our wrong ways as per the experts would say after all they probably have ologies and things we know nothing about. Well they won't know as much about super models as you.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a miniature lobster trap. A tube of acrylic or even a plastic bottle about 6" long give or take 5".

A funnel shaped thing on one end with the skinny end in the tube. Maybe a 1/4" hole in the funnel, give of take. Block off the other end and put a string on it so you can get it out. You may have to add a weight.
Put in a small piece of clam and stick it in a cave in the dark.

Go and listen to some vintage Linda Ronstadt and try some Merlot.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a miniature lobster trap. A tube of acrylic or even a plastic bottle about 6" long give or take 5".

A funnel shaped thing on one end with the skinny end in the tube. Maybe a 1/4" hole in the funnel, give of take. Block off the other end and put a string on it so you can get it out. You may have to add a weight.
Put in a small piece of clam and stick it in a cave in the dark.

Go and listen to some vintage Linda Ronstadt and try some Merlot.
Nvm got it, thank you.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on @Victoria M build thread and saw a post by @najer showing his "QT" tank. This is the kind of quarantine tank you suggest in your nany posts on the subject.

Observation tank mainly for smaller fish to fatten them up and get them hunting and grazing naturally. The convict is about a one inch fish and is fattening up well, destined for the big tank, this is a running 13.5 G , I don't have a "qt" for fish and corals.

DSC_0073 (1024x844).jpg

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda the same thing that Paul talks about as a QT tank. A place to observe new additions. Medication not possible on a place like that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back