Tank Breakdown, should I sell or keep these?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellas, I am taking a break from the hobby. I currently have equipment for a 75 gallon reef and I am wondering whether it is a good idea to sell everything such as the light, powerhead, heaters, pumps, etc because even though I will return to the hobby in less than a year, I am thinking of setting up a smaller tank (20~ gallons) so I will not use those equipment until many years (maybe even almost a decade). Will the equipment break down or go bad after that long in storage? Should I just sell them?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get pennies to the dollar when selling mlst used equipment. I would keep anything you think you might use.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellas, I am taking a break from the hobby. I currently have equipment for a 75 gallon reef and I am wondering whether it is a good idea to sell everything such as the light, powerhead, heaters, pumps, etc because even though I will return to the hobby in less than a year, I am thinking of setting up a smaller tank (20~ gallons) so I will not use those equipment until many years (maybe even almost a decade). Will the equipment break down or go bad after that long in storage? Should I just sell them?
I would sell it all. You will not use any of it most likely for a 20.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sell it all. You will not use any of it most likely for a 20.
But, opinions will be all over the map about this subject, so at the end of the, just go with your gut. Might not be bad idea to keep because you never know. And you most likely will not get much for it.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did not consider this, great point yea probably selling then
Technology changes, but how much has it changed since you purchased your gear to now? What are the odds you will want to buy new equipment in <12 months? How much have pumps really changed since you purchased them?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technology changes, but how much has it changed since you purchased your gear to now? What are the odds you will want to buy new equipment in <12 months? How much have pumps really changed since you purchased them?
He’s talking a decade from now lol… lots change in 10 years.. will be lighting our tanks with pet stars by then :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on how "out" you are. As someone that left and didn't return for over a decade, its a no brainer. Most of the stuff I had is now obsolete. However, if you think you might possibly delve back in a year or two, it might make sense to hold onto some of the staples. Tech (like controllers, etc) will be obsolete quicker so those are good to liquidate first.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
if you're downsizing, only keep the things that would be functional to still use for a smaller footprint and sell the rest. if coming back to the same size tank(or marginally bigger) i'd keep. if you're tight on $$, just sell and scour the class fields/marketplace once you're ready to come back to the hobby.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light(s)is it? If it’s a pendant instead of full length it may be useable over the 20

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light(s)is it? If it’s a pendant instead of full length it may be useable over the 20
its a reef breeder photon v2. Great basic light for growing anything but I can see how functionality would be dated in 10 years

1713388079760.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell, toss, give away but for the love of space get rid of it now so you don’t have to store it all for 10 years. It’s like a half used roll of expensive toilet paper, sure it might be useful in ten years but the cost and hassle of storing it and the paper fibers are going to be breaking down and in ten years it might become compost in your closet. If you need paper in 9 years just grab some fresh leaves and don’t worry about what part of the storage closet you tucked in away in for another day.

Surprise Fail GIF by comparethemarket

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s talking a decade from now lol… lots change in 10 years.. will be lighting our tanks with pet stars by then :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Where are you getting decades from now? Op said less than a year before re-entering the hobby.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read it again, lol
The OP still plans on putting a tank together in less than a year. Sell what you think you won't need for that tank. Selling everything just to rebuy in hopes of newer tech in that year is a waste.

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downsized in 2020 and kept all my stuff..the rock dried out but was re cycled before my new tank. Technology may change but if it works it can be reused. I sold my 57g tank and sump for like 250$ but kept my protein skimmer and rocks because i had no room..i had to rebuy a tank and sump when i restarted but the other stuff saved me some money. My opinion is to keep it if you have the room and may get another tank in the future..sell it if you need the money or have no plans to return

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back