Tank cleaning question

mmorrison55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2024
Messages
1,858
Reaction score
1,545
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t cleaned my sandbed or vacuumed my rockscape in a while and today I noticed some patches of red cyano on a few of the rocks.

I pulled out the siphon hose and removed the cyano and cleaned the sandbed. My process is that I start my siphon into my brute can and filter through a fine 50 micron filter sock to polish the water. I sometimes just do a water change and dump the water, but sometimes I will put the polished water back into the tank.

What got me thinking today was can I clean the sand that got sucked up and deposited into the sock and put it back in the tank or should I just dump it?

Wasn’t sure if soaking in some hydrogen peroxide solution would suffice or if something stronger like bleach and a rinse would be required to ensure the sand was not tainted with cyano.

I have no problem buying a new bag of sand a couple times a year, but this just made me go hmm… so wanted to see what you guys did if anyone was following a similar siphoning process.
 
I am lazy so i usually let it accumulate in my brute and I just had to throw it out because I needed the brute.

I would imagine you could put it back in after bleaching or rinsing with freshwater. But idk if that’d be enough for spores. I’d try it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new