Tank crash

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my 90gallon tank crashed after a 25% water change. New to the hobby with corals only. This is the 10th time my tank crashed. Before I had fish only and it was a nitrate spike. This time I decided to start off with lps and soft corals (mushrooms, torches, Kenya tree, favias and scans). I used R/O water not sure what went wrong. Any advice would help?
Like everyone is saying, need all details if your want real help. Sorry you are going through this, I know how it feels. You will get better at preventing this in the future if you research and ask us for help.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dudes prob still asleep, first post was at 427. More info def needed but if you are on long island and there are a lot of reefers here, including me, that can help out.
BTW its nice to have a trusted store to go to as well for things. a good long island store is advanced marine aquatics, the guys there havent tried to upsell me on something stupid i didnt need before. Best store around the area has got to be pieces of the ocean in staten island. The nicest guys, ridiculous corals, and they will help you with anything from selecting fish and equipment, to letting you know how to diy something yourself to save a buck.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What temperature was the new water and is there an imbalance with the water you are mixing and that of the tank ?

I would test the water for: salinity-ph-nitrate and temperature Prior to entering it into tank and see if there is a difference.
What test kits are you using ?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone is saying, need all details if your want real help. Sorry you are going through this, I know how it feels. You will get better at preventing this in the future if you research and ask us for help.
Why are you doing 25%? 10% weekly should be enough, or 10 gallons.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the fishy family! 10 "crashes" sounds like base jumping without learning how to pack a chute. Slow down, breathe. Nothing good happens fast on reefing.
Step by step ... As @monkeyCmonkeyDo said.... What do you mean when you say "crash"? Let's take a peak at your parameters... We don't judge. The more intel this group has, the quicker they solve the puzzle. Every single person on this forum has been there.
Keep your chin up, we are all here to help.
base jumping GIF

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my 90gallon tank crashed after a 25% water change. New to the hobby with corals only. This is the 10th time my tank crashed. Before I had fish only and it was a nitrate spike. This time I decided to start off with lps and soft corals (mushrooms, torches, Kenya tree, favias and scans). I used R/O water not sure what went wrong. Any advice would help?
Use salt with the R/O, premix and test new water for temperature, salt content, and you should be good to go.

Curious, How high were the nitrates that killed your fish in the previous tank?

I hope you don't collect guns. :)

the mueller report see GIF

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. It's time to slow down and go over the basics. What do you mean by "crash" and what is the tank's history? Please share more details and I'm sure you'll get the help you need to get back in the saddle and be successful. Ton of awesome and knowledgeable people here!

OP
OP
M

mistb2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you set up your tank and start it? What was wrong with your water change?
Describe crash. Ty
D
I have an aquatic life basic RO system. I hope that I’m understanding your question. I set up my tank using strictly RO water which takes forever to fill! I can only assume that the TDS was off. I didn’t test it during the water change. The corals which was one torch, acan, favored, mushroom and Kenya tree all closed up when I did the water change. I used to use instead ocean, but changed to Fritz Aquatics (blue box).

OP
OP
M

mistb2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. It's time to slow down and go over the basics. What do you mean by "crash" and what is the tank's history? Please share more details and I'm sure you'll get the help you need to get back in the saddle and be successful. Ton of awesome and knowledgeable people here!
Agreed. What I mean by “crash” is that either my fish would die but that was because of a spike in nitrates. Each time the there was a spike in nutrients, I’d start from scratch again. Now I’m writing down my levels and will start a journal to document my parameters.

OP
OP
M

mistb2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dudes prob still asleep, first post was at 427. More info def needed but if you are on long island and there are a lot of reefers here, including me, that can help out.
BTW its nice to have a trusted store to go to as well for things. a good long island store is advanced marine aquatics, the guys there havent tried to upsell me on something stupid i didnt need before. Best store around the area has got to be pieces of the ocean in staten island. The nicest guys, ridiculous corals, and they will help you with anything from selecting fish and equipment, to letting you know how to diy something yourself to save a buck.
10th crash! I don’t think nitrate can spike although nitrite can make it appear so. Your gonna have to describe how you make your water in detail, how you check salinity, how you mix it, what salt, where does the RO come from, pic of your tank etc etc etc.
BTW, Welcome :)
I use fritz aquatic salt mix. I use a hydrometer to check the water. My refractomer broke and will have to get a new one. My RO is made using my aquatic life RO buddy system. It’s a pretty basic system . Nothing fancy or extravagant.

OP
OP
M

mistb2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a tds meter to tell me when i need to change filters. I dont test all the water. Tds meters are not for sw.

I only use a refractometer and a heater and pump.
D
Ok. Thanks. I have to buy a new refractomer because mines broke and I’m using a hydrometer right now.

Back