Tank has gone completely cloudy over night

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I added a couple coral frags to my tank yesterday and today I have come out and my tank is Cloudy, so cloudy I can see anything. I had dipped the coral in redsea coral dip first and wasted off, I had also replaced my GFO, and done my daily dosing with CA, MG and Redsea NO3:pO4-x.

Should I be worried, should I do something, the only coral I can see is my toadstool and he doesn't look happy.

water params are:
TMP: 25.5
OPR: 378
PH: 7.43 this has been dropping but I want to double-check it against another tester, currently using apex to measure
CA: 440
MG: 1183
AK: 9.0
Salt: 33

Here is a photo with the lights on high white (doesn't look as bad as when whites are low and blues are high)
20220505_071700.jpeg

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you have a bacterial bloom on your hands? Did you disturb any of the sand when you placed corals? When I have algae or bacterial blooms, my ORP drops. At least increase aeration, if you can.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly looks like a bacterial bloom to me. You must supplement aeration like Rhostam said above. I see you are also dosing Nopox which can cause this if adding too much too quickly. Do you have a UV running? It will clear it up pretty quickly.

OP
OP
wonderphil-reef

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly looks like a bacterial bloom to me. You must supplement aeration like Rhostam said above. I see you are also dosing Nopox which can cause this if adding too much too quickly. Do you have a UV running? It will clear it up pretty quickly.
Was just looking at UV filters

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have to have a UV and it should burn itself out pretty quickly but UV will make it disappear almost overnight. Would back off the Nopox for now as that will only feed the bloom. Have you calculated your dosing amounts correctly? My first time with Nopox ended up like this along with a film all over the glass too.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer? Is it working properly? My guess is the nopox caused this. if there are fish in there you must increase water movement and surface agitation. Oxygen gets very deprived in these situations.

OP
OP
wonderphil-reef

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer? Is it working properly? My guess is the nopox caused this. if there are fish in there you must increase water movement and surface agitation. Oxygen gets very deprived in these situations.
So adding air hose would be good idea?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back