Tank not cycling

slimmacck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 28 gallon nano cube 7 days ago. I’m using cured live rock, live sand, water from lfs, and used ceramic disks that were in the tanks at my lfs. I added live bacteria and a damsel 1 day after setup. I’ve been testing everyday for ammonia and there hasn’t been any present. Is it possible that the tank is already cycled? Also I’m not getting any reading for nitrates / nitrites

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 28 gallon nano cube 7 days ago. I’m using cured live rock, live sand, water from lfs, and used ceramic disks that were in the tanks at my lfs. I added live bacteria and a damsel 1 day after setup. I’ve been testing everyday for ammonia and there hasn’t been any present. Is it possible that the tank is already cycled? Also I’m not getting any reading for nitrates / nitrites
Yes, it's possible.
You are using cured live rock. Uncured rock is where you get die of from, and ammonia.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree with deBurr- its likely cycled. If you havent used ammonia chloride, it will confirm but generally when these levels are steady for a few days and tests are accurate- youre good to move forward

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very much possible. If that lR is from an established tank it can be cycled already.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was a skip cycle. You don't use bottle bac in these setups, that's for dry rock.

Skfoley4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling tank with live rock, corals and shrimp from prior tank. Did not use water because of bacteria breakout...it has been 2 weeks and was planning on putting fish from old tank in starting next week but no cycle at all yet. Open to any suggestions please...thank you

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling tank with live rock, corals and shrimp from prior tank. Did not use water because of bacteria breakout...it has been 2 weeks and was planning on putting fish from old tank in starting next week but no cycle at all yet. Open to any suggestions please...thank you
Best to start your own thread to avoid confusion, but you are in the same situation as the OP. If you transferred live rock from your existing tank then you don't need to cycle again. The bacteria is in the live rock. It doesn't care what vessel you put it in.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update if you got your tank to cycle or not?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your done, skip cycle as they call it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back