Tank Setup Help

CORYSTEMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 55 gal Fish only tank with some live rock so not totally new but still a pretty much a newby . Before my aunt passed away she gave me a 130 gal acrylic tank and some other stuff. Problem is I don't really know know if I can utilize what i have from her and stuff from my old tank together into one system . I am going to put the tank in our retail clothing store and want healthy animals for people to see of course. ok so here is what i have.

130 gal acrylic tank with 2 overflows
55 gal glass tank (planning to use for a sump)
Another small tank filter that had bio balls in it
PM Bullet 1 (i think) protein skimmer
A couple return pumps and 3 different sized power heads.
A wavemaker controller
Light fixture with 1 metal halide in the center, 2 flourescents i think on each side and some moonlights.
Crushed Coral, A little bit of sand, a descent amount of live rock of variouse sizes.

Not sure if this is everthing but it is the majority of if. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to put this all together into a good system. We are on a limited budget so would like to use as much as possible from what we have. Just looking to put something together for our showroom that kids can look at and enjoy while parents shop. Pretty much just some fish, a cleaning and maybe some easy to keep corals to top it off. Thanks in advance and really hope to get this up and going since now I'm really excited and not very patient lol.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I would do is clean everything in either a mild bleach bath or vinegar (no detergents). Tear things apart when cleaning and inspect moving parts, make sure everything works. From there, you need to map out what you have left and is functional and what isn't. (i'm assuming the 130 is not up and running)

You need to determine what you do and do not want in your system. Harder to keep corals are going to require strong light, more flow, and dosing; and ultimately more maintenance. If this is not what you want, then don't go there. You can always upgrade and get there one day, but don't bite off more than you can chew. Same goes with fish and inverts; if you want sand sifters then the crushed coral isn't going to work. You may consider saving it for your sump. Map out the critters you want, easy to keep critters i'm guessing (especially to start) and accommodate them accordingly.

The extra tank filter with bio balls is IMO worthless if you have a sump, it just won't do much for you and will just add another layer with little reward. You should consider selling it on craigs list and using it to fund upgrades for the system. If the 130 has over flows i'm assuming its drilled or is plug and play with your sump? Do you have the sump that originally went with the 130? This would be a good template to base your 55G sump off of. I highly recommend fresh plumbing, do it right the first time and you wont have to redo it later.

Lights should be adequate for starting out, depending on the make/model. I would replace the bulbs, maybe not at first, but eventually.

No knowledge of that skimmer, but you don't really need a skimmer while the tank is cycling anyways. Let the tank cycle, hook it up, see what it does, you might be surprised. Although, you might not...

Overall, if you're on a budget and you already have used gear, then use what you have. You can make upgrades slowly over time, as needed. You still have to cycle the tank, let it establish, and all that jazz... most of that fancy equipment isn't even going to be necessary for months to come anyways. Good luck! :)

OP
OP
C

CORYSTEMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @CodyRVA . Everything is cleaned up and working. I am ready to start putting it all together. There was no sump with the tank so came up with my own design after some research. Not sure if its correct or not. lol I dont think they had a sump tank at all. They just ran the overflows straight to the skimmer and a canister filter and pumped it back to the tank. Not sure my uncle really knew what he was doing just had money to spend so went for it blindly. lol. Here is a rought design of what i was thinking. Any suggestions?
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 4.37.01 PM.png

OP
OP
C

CORYSTEMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the protein skimmer. Not really sure how it works or goes together in the tank.
skimmer.JPG

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need the first set of 2 baffles. The baffles are to act as a bubble trap before the water is returned to the tank. A single baffle to separate the first chamber from the second chamber is sufficient and what is commonly used.

Those valves you have on your drains are not needed and would serve you much better on your return lines.

Usually the first chamber is smaller with the skimmer going into the second chamber although there is no real reason why you couldn't do it how you have it in my opinion. To be honest i don't think that you need to put that skimmer into a sump. I believe that it can be a stand alone unit located outside of the sump. I would add a refugium section to your design or keep what you have and use the middle section to grow macro algae which will help with your nutrient export.

OP
OP
C

CORYSTEMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need the first set of 2 baffles. The baffles are to act as a bubble trap before the water is returned to the tank. A single baffle to separate the first chamber from the second chamber is sufficient and what is commonly used.

Those valves you have on your drains are not needed and would serve you much better on your return lines.

Usually the first chamber is smaller with the skimmer going into the second chamber although there is no real reason why you couldn't do it how you have it in my opinion. To be honest i don't think that you need to put that skimmer into a sump. I believe that it can be a stand alone unit located outside of the sump. I would add a refugium section to your design or keep what you have and use the middle section to grow macro algae which will help with your nutrient export.

Any idea how this skimmer goes together? lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back