Tank Trials: Ultra Low Maintenance Tanks | BRStv Investigates

Donald Goldsworthy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULM cycling, a few days after the tank has been filled, add a large frozen shrimp in a media bag. Give the shrimp a few days to decay and remove. Give the bacteria a few days to run. Then begin adding Dr. Tim's. I usually have clean cycled bio spheres I can add. After a few weeks test ammonia. If ammonia is good, test nitrites and so on. Once water is good, slowly add fish. I've cycled my 75, a 60, my 15, and a 150 like this. My freshwater cycling is almost the same. Only thing I've changed over the years is the bacteria additive. They all seem to work.

Deep Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULM cycling, a few days after the tank has been filled, add a large frozen shrimp in a media bag. Give the shrimp a few days to decay and remove. Give the bacteria a few days to run. Then begin adding Dr. Tim's. I usually have clean cycled bio spheres I can add. After a few weeks test ammonia. If ammonia is good, test nitrites and so on. Once water is good, slowly add fish. I've cycled my 75, a 60, my 15, and a 150 like this. My freshwater cycling is almost the same. Only thing I've changed over the years is the bacteria additive. They all seem to work.

I’ve always used the shrimp method, but I’m going to use Dr Tim’s this time. It is fishless so I believe worth a try

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t build another tank without MarinePure blocks. I would use live sand, dry rock (no pests), MarinePure, and whatever choice of ammonia. No lights for a month so there is a reduced chance of an algae bloom. I feel like it’s better to wait a month to let the “immune system” build up. Adding chaeto and pods early is a good way to start your pod population as long as you have the adequate light (H380 all the way) to keep it healthy.

OskarZi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(back to the Salt Selection)
I would probably go with ATI Absolute Ocean as a real Ultra Low Maintenance Salt. It is not even a salt, much more a very concentrated Liquid wich just needs to be mixed with your RO/DI water. Also a very important side benefit coming with this liquid form is a ultra homogeneous mix of Elements. For more Information visit (http://atiaquaristik.com/en/?one_page_portfolio=absolute-ocean)

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen precipitate build up on an optical sensor before. We will be dosing kalk in at least one of these tanks so I will be sure to explore that.

I just cleaned both ATKs 2 days ago and here is "exhibit A"
ATK.JPG

ATK.JPG

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Mical, looks clean to me. I'm not seeing it? Could you point that out?
Did you mean the residue below the "System ON Level" sticker, on the glass?
Also: is that an acrylic sump?

CasualReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he means water has built up around the sensor so it Doesn't know to add more water

Triinsept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan-
I couldn’t tell from the video or thread what size Uv sterilizer you guys are going w for the sps ulm tank. I’m setting up a similar sized tank as a clownfish harem tank. I’ve never used one before but thought I might give it a go. It will be a heavy bioload but only clowns and anemones. Thx!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULM Tank Trials Ep-8: Cycling an Ultra Low Maintenance Tank | BRStv

The tanks are up and running and in today's ULM video, we show you the method we chose to cycle them. We'll share our thoughts on a few options to cycling a tank as well as lay out the cycling plan for the next 90days!

As always, we can't thank you enough for keeping the conversation going! :)

This week's question:

-As we look at a 6-month review of the BRS160, do you consider Triton to be a ULM approach to reefing?

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The triton method is in my opinion one of the easiest ways to keep an sps dominant tank. I find the longer it runs the easier it gets . Just being able to confidently not do water changes has made life that much easier , and the daily one time check of alkalinity really keeps me in touch with the tank . I find I spend more time enjoying the tank and it’s inhabitants rather than feeling like it’s a second job.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed the corals not doing as well with less frequent water changes and kalk alone. They definitely need something.

Shawn Dahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with the Triton method of reefing, due to never trying it myself. With that being said, from what others have shared about their experiences, I do believe I would consider it a ULM approach to reef keeping.

I feel that checking alkalinity on a regular schedule is important for any reef tank, aside from that with automated dosing, no water changes, maintaining a healthy refugium, and only having to send off a sample of water for testing a few times a year, the Triton method sounds like the epitome of a ULM reef tank

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This week's question:

-As we look at a 6-month review of the BRS160, do you consider Triton to be a ULM approach to reefing?

It's definitely less maintenance if the corals are growing with equal progress as when water changes were being performed.

I find changing the water in a reef system [to remedy a problem] to be an overly drastic measure, specially in systems that are over 60 gallons. If you're not sure what's really the problem, just change the water and hope it solves everything......??
If the problem is solved (or averted) it's true that it does help but it still doesn't actually identify what the real issue is. So in essence the reefer is reacting blindly. It's not an informed solution.
Not to mention that it's also an awful waste of money and of salt water.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it can be ULM, I have heard people having to remove build up from the dosing lines on a regular basis. So if a couple minutes a day or week is ok then it can be considered ULM. But I think this problem needs to be solved (maybe you guys have already figured it out) before I would go on a week long vacation.

I still can't believe that there isn't a Triton alternative. This market is no different than any other. Without competition, prices will remain high. What they charge for the bottles is literally insane. I think this method is great for tanks like the cube you guys are using. But for a large 400 gallon system, the cost is insane. I can also imagine all salt manufacturers are not sleeping well, if reefers go to a method like Triton salt consumption will crash!!!

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also see that you guys are completely out of Triton. If you were to run out of the 4 bottles, your tank would go from ULM to UMD (ultra massive disaster). Honestly I am being very serious about this. If I were going to go with Triton I would try to stock up to ensure you have enough to get you through times when its out of stock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back