Tank Trials: Ultra Low Maintenance Tanks | BRStv Investigates

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULM does not necessarily equate to bare bones inexpensive equipment. I think having tanks with different levels of cost associated with the setup would be good.

Carbon dosing or biopellets coupled with ozone on a reactor can maintain a very nice system with low maintenance. Depending on the corals kept kalk in the ATO may be able to maintain levels or adding a couple of dosing pumps to automate 2-part dosing works well. Matching the bio-load to the export mechanisms present will be important.

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see a mixed system congaing elements of all 3 in one tank as I think the majority of people will have a tank with mixtures of Hopefully this will also include a mixing station with integration.
Hopefully a tank in the 70-120 range as i think this would be useful.

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 6ft long 150-180 would be minimum if you are serious about hobby.

The tank itself will be the least of your expenses anyway imo.

If you don't have room for 6ft they make some pretty nifty 4ft cubes that hold a descent amount of water.

I answered my own question. :)

Another. So youd just leave a smaller tank, like mine (52 gallons), with live rock only, for practicality?

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember the exact video but I remember BRS argument FOR zeovit was that it required daily work with the tank and that helped connect one with the tank and if you didn’t have the time it was a disservice to the system?

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULM Nutrient Reduction :Roller Mat +Cheato Refugium(large)
ULM Water Stablility: Doser Pumps +2 Part
ULM Tank Setup: Bare-bottom, High Flow, fish and inverts clean up crew.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember the exact video but I remember BRS argument FOR zeovit was that it required daily work with the tank and that helped connect one with the tank and if you didn’t have the time it was a disservice to the system?

Argument might be strong words :)

The daily tasks related to KZ absolutely put me more in tune with the progress of the tank and something I personally enjoyed doing every morning. I think I can honestly say I have never been as in tune with any tank before.

That said, that's just one of a 100 methods of reefing and specific to my experiences. For example, there is no shortage of reefers here to take over for me if I am out of the office or life's challenges get in the way. That's likely not the case for many.

I would really like to bring one concept home with the tank trail series. Even though we all debate it, there isn't just one "best" method. There are dozens of methods and dozens of variations of each. This is an opportunity to see the results of all kinds of systems meeting different individual needs documented from beginning to end : )

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t dose nothing, I do 10% water change 1 or 2 times a month. I am my own auto top off about 5 gallons a week. Everything seems to be enjoying them selves. I just look for corals that thrive in that environment. (40 breeder)

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in this thread. I’m trying to put together my Red Sea max 650 in such a way that all aggravating tasks are minimized, automated or eliminated. Auto water changes have removed that burden for me! But no water changes is even nicer. I get that Triton is synonymous with “no water changes” but curious if a Red Sea program with nice chaeto fuge could accomplish the same thing- don’t see why not. Maybe I can start reducing my water daily changes and go longer on a tank of nsw. What else will this uncover?

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 6ft long 150-180 would be minimum if you are serious about hobby.

The tank itself will be the least of your expenses anyway imo.

If you don't have room for 6ft they make some pretty nifty 4ft cubes that hold a descent amount of water.
I have a 4 foot 150 gal tank. 48" x 24" x 30"

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULM does not necessarily equate to bare bones inexpensive equipment. I think having tanks with different levels of cost associated with the setup would be good.

This is a great idea. You can show everyone how different levels of investment work as well as being low maintenance.

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm you can't have a successful ULM tank without being super in touch with the system.......how else could it successfully go for so long with little intervention?

ULM likely means some automated monitoring and control vs manual. I can automate testing every second and that is 86400 times better than testing once a day ;). Not only that, I can have a second thing (a program) tell me when something is wrong. I don't understand how you could be more in touch. For every aspect of my tank that I automated I got way more in touch. Even ATO...I know exactly how much ATO the tank takes in various seasons and when I see the tank top off for too long, too short, too frequently, or too infrequently I know something is wrong. Just simple ATO monitoring has saved my butt a number of times...

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or stock it accordingly and not do water changes

This is great. Have seen this before. I a man thinking of switching my offic tank to softies only.
Does the softies manage the phosphate and nitrates ?

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great. Have seen this before. I a man thinking of switching my offic tank to softies only.
Does the softies manage the phosphate and nitrates ?
I run a mix tank on the theory that my fast growing nutrient sinks, polyps, xenia and even lps all allow me to feed more while helping consume nutrients which should make my sps happy. Chaeto is probably the fastest growing nutrient sink in anyones system though

Nutruents do not have to be as low as people thought a few years ago.

In fact, i think the different needs of lps and sps has way more to do with flow and par, and little to do with nutrients.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULM= continuous water changes at 50% per day.

Then there's no testing to do and dosing to be done. No skimmer cup to empty. No evaporation to replace. No cal,alk, or any other to play with. Provided you get a salt mix that's considered good it's set and forget.
That's the only true ulm tank imo.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back